Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Derek Carr's comments about OC Greg Olson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Derek Carr had good comments about Coach Olson.

Very encouraging.

They reported his statements on 1010xl this morning.

Saw that. Seems like it went beyond the standard "hes a great coach and I learned a lot". Either Carr is REALLY polite or Olson might be a good hire.
Definitely provides a good perspective as to why the Jags went in this direction.

Anybody wish to share these comments?

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400...-was-right

“Being under coach Olson and learning from him, I’ll have a protection plan for the rest of my life,” Carr said. “Just spending that one year with him. There won’t be a look or a pressure that I’ll see where I have no clue what to do. I’ll know exactly how I want to pick it up and exactly how to pick it up, because of how he taught me and what he taught me.”

Terrible Hire.

Quote:http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400...-was-right

“Being under coach Olson and learning from him, I’ll have a protection plan for the rest of my life,” Carr said. “Just spending that one year with him. There won’t be a look or a pressure that I’ll see where I have no clue what to do. I’ll know exactly how I want to pick it up and exactly how to pick it up, because of how he taught me and what he taught me.”

I think that was one of the bigger issues Blake had ( I am no qb expert, its just a feeling I got ) ....pretty good compliments 
Quite honestly, the transactions that we made over the past 2 years is way beyond my comprehension to evaluate the future.   As such, I'll let it play out.  The article at least provides insight to their thought process which was about doing everything possible to put Bortles in a position to succeed.

.... for 2 years my fellow Steelers fans were calling for Todd Haley to be fired as he didn't let Ben be Ben.  Well, low and behold, they set Ben up with quicker routes which resulted in getting the ball out of his hands and taking a lot less hits.  This year, they were the #1 offense.  Sometimes you just have to let things play out.....

Again, Olson is really well respected amongst his peers and he did good things with guys like freeman, bulger.... Etc.

Those guys didn't look the same without Olson. There is some promise here.

Olson might not be the best overall oc but his work with qbs combined with the rest of the offensive hires could have us sitting pretty.
It's encouraging to see what David Carr did.  

Hopefully Bortles flips his TD to INT ratio this year compared to last, and I'll be happy actually.

I'll bet Olson will want a good Rb who can block for the qb. One of denards weaknesses is not being a good blocker.
I think they stated Carr was only sacked 24x last season.  We pretty much had the same below average running game and young WRs as Oakland so I think we can draw some conclusions related to sacks that Oakland was doing something vastly difference than we were.

Either a blocking RB or get Denard out in the flat more often like LaVeon Bell.

So, basically, the Jaguars hired a glorified QB coach. That's what I keep seeing--praise about his work with QBs. No one seems to be terribly complementary about his play calling and development of players at positions other than quarterback.

Quote:So, basically, the Jaguars hired a glorified QB coach. That's what I keep seeing--praise about his work with QBs. No one seems to be terribly complementary about his play calling and development of players at positions other than quarterback.

Absolutely agree. [BAD WORD REMOVED] at people writing off the fact that they were 2nd worst only to us in PPG and YPG. Since Carr had a good season, imagine how brutal their running game was. Blake isnt going to jump to a 30TD QB next season, so we will the running game to be strong to prop him up.

Quote:Absolutely agree. [BAD WORD REMOVED] at people writing off the fact that they were 2nd worst only to us in PPG and YPG. Since Carr had a good season, imagine how brutal their running game was. Blake isnt going to jump to a 30TD QB next season, so we will the running game to be strong to prop him up.

I'm amazed at how well you can see the future...
Hopefully that Carr is right and he does seem polite!

Quote:I'm amazed at how well you can see the future...
Fair point, perhaps its too early to say for sure. What we can say for sure is that Olson has NEVER had a successful season as an OC in this league. Perhaps the silver lining is that this is the hire that gets Gus and the gang fired.
Quote:Fair point, perhaps its too early to say for sure. What we can say for sure is that Olson has NEVER had a successful season as an OC in this league. Perhaps the silver lining is that this is the hire that gets Gus and the gang fired.

I'd argue he's never had a QB with the ability of Blake Bortles. A 2nd year Robinson/Lee plus the hopeful addition of a true pass catching TE...has he ever had a group of talent, that young, to work with at his previous stops?
Quote:Fair point, perhaps its too early to say for sure. What we can say for sure is that Olson has NEVER had a successful season as an OC in this league. Perhaps the silver lining is that this is the hire that gets Gus and the gang fired.

He OC'd the Rams in 2006-2007...The first year Bulger threw for 4000, Holt and Bruce had 1000 yards receiving and Jackson had a 1500 yard year on the ground.  Sounds pretty successful to me.
Pages: 1 2