Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How Many Players Away are we?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
According to Pro Football Focus via ESPN...30.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/...tscenterFB

Shows how good Andrew Luck is.

Quote:According to Pro Football Focus via ESPN...30.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/...tscenterFB

You're mis-reading it. They're saying the Jaguars rank 30th out of 30 non-Super Bowl teams and that they are 13 'above-average' players away. 
Id say about 10
Tough to say.  Really depends how all these rookies develop, especially Blake.

If we're 13 above-average players away from the Superbowl how do you measure that and what personnel are we looking at? I'd say the bulk is obviously in the trenches on both sides of the ball. That would leave us with about what? 5 or 6 skill positions needed? We need a good FS to lay the way in the secondary. Another solid CB. A young DE that can get after the QB with a complimenting DT. I'd say another OLB is needed. Offensively we could use a RB, TE, and another WR IMHO. I guess that number doesn't seem too far off....

Quote:You're mis-reading it. They're saying the Jaguars rank 30th out of 30 non-Super Bowl teams and that they are 13 'above-average' players away. 
Mea culpa.

Thanks for the correction.
I'd say 5 above average players away from competing for division title - and 8 top-notch players away from super bowl contention. 
If the Jag's could add 4 'above average' players on each side of the ball (8 total), and certain young players develop, I think that would be the number...

I would say 4 above average players, those 4 would be FS, legit DE/LEO, CB, LB.

This is based on Bortles getting better, WR's finally learning the game getting better, LB in Telvin is a star, Colvin works out for us, OL gets better. IF that happens then I would say 4 players away.

Without that happening we are a TEAM away, 52 players away. 

1 - J.J. Watt

1 - Odell Beckham

1 - Richard Sherman

1 - Rob Gronkowski

1 - Luke Kuechly

I count 5.  We are 5 away.

Quote:1 - J.J. Watt

1 - Odell Beckham

1 - Richard Sherman

1 - Rob Gronkowski

1 - Luke Kuechly

If we had those players we would just need Bortles to get better and a good OL, everything else can be average or even below average. 
Although true we are not there yet, maybe we have a good majority of those players already on the roster, but they're just getting their feet wet. Sounds a lot better than 13 players away. Ugh
13 players 8 coaches and a GM

Best Damn Marketing Department in the NFL though !!

Quote:1 - J.J. Watt

1 - Odell Beckham

1 - Richard Sherman

1 - Rob Gronkowski

1 - Luke Kuechly

On a sad note, all these players were available when our beloved Jags were on the clock.
I think if Bortles becomes an above average player that probably counts for way more. Let's go with 10 including Bortles.

Let's say:

3 players from 2013 make the leap

- Joekel was below

- Cyprien was slightly below

- McCray was very close but let's call him average

3 from 2014 do it

- Bortles

- 2 of the following: Lee, Colvin and Bowanko (ARob was close but he missed a good portion of the year, so let's include him)

- Telvin was arguably already above average and Linder certainly was so we can't count them towards the list

2 from the 2015 draft do it

2-3 free agent signings do it

All that combined won't be a Super Bowl contender but it shows you how quickly things can come together. Lots has to go right, but it's not impossible.

we have the players now,but not a good enough HC. a real HC could take this team far. Someone like a bill cower,jon gruden,jeff fisher, even john Madden could take this talent places. gus isn't the guy. 

Quote:we have the players now,but not a good enough HC. a real HC could take this team far. Someone like a bill cower,jon gruden,jeff fisher, even john Madden could take this talent places. gus isn't the guy. 
Someone not afraid to speak the truth. Tell it Wolfie!!!
Article is silly for using QBR. What stat will ESPN make up next for better ratings?  

I'd say we're about 10 players away.  Plus developmental time for our younger guys like Bortles.  

I don't know why folks get so bent out of shape about the lack of elite players on this team. Join the club man. You only have six spots in each conference to make it. For the last few years it's been like this in the AFC. In Brady and Manning's case, it's been nearly that way since they became startes in the NFL.

1. Brady or Manning

2. Manning or Brady

3. Flacco or Roethlisberger

4. Luck

5. Roethlisberger, Dalton, or Flacco

6. Random school girl going to her first dance in over three or four years

With the exception of the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, colts and recently the Broncos because of Manning. It's very rare you see any other team consistently competing in the post-season or in the play-off hunt over the last ten years. Seattle just got into the fold. They were wishy washy outside of that 2005 season with Hasselbeck and Alexander practically carrying the team on his back. I think it comes down to two things.

1. Lucky enough to land an elite or game changing quarterback that consistently aggravates opposing defenses

2. Good enough defense or the best defense in the leauge good enough not to embarrass your team

That's about it. With the exception of a few teams here and there. It's ALWAYS been that formula above. Elite QB -+ Ridiculous Defense = Potential Superbowl. Or, Game Changing QB + Solid Running Game + Best Defense In The NFL, or at least top five = Potential Superbowl.
Pages: 1 2 3