Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cosell: Bortles Developed bad habits in his rookie season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Per rotoworld:

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes Blake Bortles "got into some bad habits" as a rookie, and the Jaguars "probably need to start over with him with the basics."

Yikes
I've been thinking this. Dude was probably doing so many things wrong week in and week out with no time to fix them that they're second nature for him now. 

So.... Just to be clear here...

The player that the organization has stated - repeatedly - that they would have liked for him to not play in his rookie season due to his undeveloped nature showed bad habits this past year?

And that what the team should do is coach him up on fundamentals?

Man, how is this man not running an organization?!?!?! It's like he has ESP!

I don't think this is new to anyone who watched his play last season. Bortles was in the middle of relearning his mechanics before being thrust into the starting line up. He went from learning how to play QB at this level to having to prepare for a weekly game plan. His newly learned mechanics went out the window as a result.
Start over? From what? Is he implying he has any fundamentals to build on at this point?

Also, the organization cannot even contact him him until after the draft near OTAs or training camp, right?

Quote:I don't think this is new to anyone who watched his play last season. Bortles was in the middle of relearning his mechanics before being thrust into the starting line up. He went from learning how to play QB at this level to having to prepare for a weekly game plan. His newly learned mechanics went out the window as a result.

So is he never going to learn the mechanics now that he is the full-time starter?

Quote:Start over? From what? Is he implying he has any fundamentals to build on at this point?

Also, the organization cannot even contact him him until after the draft near OTAs or training camp, right?

So is he never going to learn the mechanics now that he is the full-time starter?
Thats not exactly what I'm saying but by no means is it going to be a cakewalk to learn as well. Its going to take thousands of reps to make it muscle memory. He does have an advantage this year though that he didn't have last year, a full offseason. He may never be "mechanically perfect" as a QB but as long as he gets to the point where its clean enough to not affect his throws than that should be good enough.
I would bet everything I own that the coaching staff compiled all his games, gave him a breakout of positives, negatives, where to improve ect before he left the stadium the last day and said if you want to truly get better this is what you need to do.  it would be foolish to think otherwise.

The question is, how well can Palmer teach him this offseason?

Quote:Per rotoworld:

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes Blake Bortles "got into some bad habits" as a rookie, and the Jaguars "probably need to start over with him with the basics."

Yikes

Nothing new.  It's been said since mid-season that Bortles' biggest weakness are his mechanics and he'd have to work on them during the offseason. 
This is all completely unsurprising and predictable.   A completely wasted year for Bortles development, and now they have to start all over again from scratch.  Bortles shouldn't have started  until his fundamentals were sound in involuntary movements from muscle memory in the first place ... which was supposed to be the gameplan all along.    When you have to worry about weekly preperation, not letting 52 fellow teammates down and somehow putting points on the board by hook or by crook against professional NFL defenses, things like fundamental development and technique fall by the wayside.   Not to mention you're asking a rookie Bortles to take a bunch of young teammates on offense and steady them through hard times, adversity and bumps on the road when he doesn't even know how to properly set his feet or place his elbow through his throwing motion.     Really disappointing that Caldwell and Bradley freaked out and chucked their offseason gameplan, and were so short sighted in Bortles development over some early season losses for a team that was never going to contend anyway.    Until the organization has people in charge who can show a steady hand and stick to a gameplan, it's always going to be running around in circles chasing it's tail.     Good management doesn't focus on putting out fires, they focus on fire prevention.  

Hate to beat a dead horse.. but alot of his regression falls on the oc, in my opinion.

I kept wondering towards the end of the season what fish was taking to bb5 about during practice.

Hopefully Olson will be more proactive with Blake's development
[Image: captain-obvious.jpg]

Quote:This is all completely unsurprising and predictable. A completely wasted year for Bortles development, and now they have to start all over again from scratch. Bortles shouldn't have started until his fundamentals were sound in involuntary movements from muscle memory in the first place ... which was supposed to be the gameplan all along. When you have to worry about weekly preperation, not letting 52 fellow teammates down and somehow putting points on the board by hook or by crook, things like fundamental development and technique fall by the wayside. Really disappointing that Caldwell and Bradley freaked out and chucked their offseason gameplan and were so short sighted in Bortles development over some early season losses for a team that was never going to contend anyway. Until the organization can show a steady hand and stick to a gameplan, it's always going to be running in circles chasing it's tail.

Is this serious?
So what happens when a fire does start at your work? Just let the building burn down since all you had was prevention strategies and no active?

and to every person throwing a fit when people like myself and plenty others were saying that bortles shouldnt play so soon.....hilarious. now theyre upset but before they were banging the table for blake to start.

I agree, I didn't want him to start, but it was better than watching Henne at least. But not worth setting him back.

Blake needs a good 3 years of starting before we begin to judge him. Maybe I am wrong but I like to follow the old way of developing QB's which means give them a heck of a lot of time to prove themselves.
Quote:Blake needs a good 3 years of starting before we begin to judge him. Maybe I am wrong but I like to follow the old way of developing QB's which means give them a heck of a lot of time to prove themselves.

http://youtu.be/ErvgV4P6Fzc

We all know that Blake had some bad habits coming into the Pro's, but to say that he developed bad habits IN his rookie year is saddening. We all visibly saw his short comings from the preseason to week 17. Its unfortunate Blake had such a terrible developmental coach in Jedd. It doesn't take time at all to learn technique, but it takes years to internalize technique. I hope for this franchises sake that Blake develops at a fast pace once given the proper technical dogma. 

You know there is no way to get game time experience without.....  playing.

That is what gets lost in all of these debates.  I don't care that he regressed or returned to "bad" habits.  Fact is he knows about the grind of the NFL season and what it takes to navigate from the film room to the game plan and then on to game day.  Nothing in the offseason or riding the pine was going to do that for him.

He has a personal QB coach that will help him work on fundamentals up until he can work with the coaching staff.  Honestly he needs some time off and then on to drilling mechanics.

The kid has instinct and a base skill set.

Quote:Its unfortunate Blake had such a terrible developmental coach in Jedd.
To be fair, Jedd wasn't QB coach.
Pages: 1 2