Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell says DRob was the most improved player
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
If anyone thinks were taking a RB in the top 4 rounds they are crazy. One, because this team has so many other needs already, and two, DRob played great behind a horrible line when he was the starter and healthy. 

Caldwell also failed to mention Toby in the top 3 FA signings, that speaks to whos going to be the starter next year as well. 

[Image: 6_692076.jpg]

Caldwell's comment in his year end press conference was that "there are more pressing needs than RB".

Quote:Caldwell's comment in his year end press conference was that "there are more pressing needs than RB."

No doubt about that, but he did not close the door on picking a running back after all other needs are filled.
Love this post. It makes no sense to waste a high pick on a back. Even sure things don't pan out ie) Trent/Bush/Ingram.

Quote:Caldwell's comment in his year end press conference was that "there are more pressing needs than RB".
There sure are, but that won't stop Caldwell from drafting one if it's a mid-round guy that they think would be a nice complement to (or replacement for) D-Rob.
Quote:There sure are, but that won't stop Caldwell from drafting one if it's a mid-round guy that they think would be a nice complement to (or replacement for) D-Rob.

They are not going to replace Robinson. PIcking a running back would be to replace Gerhart.
Quote:They are not going to replace Robinson. PIcking a running back would be to replace Gerhart.
I think it's entirely possible that they replace him as the starter and let him be more of a third-down/change of pace guy. Think about how strong of a one-two punch Gerhart and Robinson (Gerhart starting, D-Rob rotating) could have been if Gerhart wasn't, you know, terrible. That's the type of situation I'd envision the team drafting a back in. 
He went from a guy who had no position to someone who can possibly start in the NFL. I'd say that's grounds for him to be most improved in our roster. That, however, by no means indicate that he is penciled in as a starter next season. Is he capable of it? I think so, but I would hate to repeat past mistakes of overestimating the young players we have on our roster and not taking a playmaker if there is one available to us. 

I don't think we need to spend a 1st rounder on a RB, probably not even 2nd and 3rd. Though if the top backs somehow are still there in the 4th, I think its something of consideration.

Anyone hoping or expecting a RB to be picked in rounds 1, 2 or even 3 are setting themselves up for disappointment. Caldwell isn't and shouldn't pick one in the first two days of the draft. You can easily find good ones in the later round. I would be surprised if he gets one at all. Robinson, Gerhart, Todman, and Johnson are better than anything you can get in the later rounds of this draft. With that said, Free agency could find us signing one.

Quote:Anyone hoping or expecting a RB to be picked in rounds 1, 2 or even 3 are setting themselves up for disappointment. Caldwell isn't and shouldn't pick one in the first two days of the draft. You can easily find good ones in the later round. I would be surprised if he gets one at all. Robinson, Gerhart, Todman, and Johnson are better than anything you can get in the later rounds of this draft. With that said, Free agency could find us signing one.

I don't want a free agent running back either. We can live with the same four running backs. When our offensive line gets an upgrade (hopefully from Bryan Bulaga), the improvement will come.
by a mile. Great fit for the scheme. more so than toby.

My opinion on running backs is, it's great to have a star running back, and we don't have one.   However, because NFL running backs have such a short shelf life, star running back is the last thing you add to your team.   I'm thinking 2016 draft.   Not 2015 draft.   When we have a competitive team, we spend a high draft pick on a RB and run him into the ground for the next 4 years.   We're not there yet. 

That said, Caldwell has shown us that he is capable of hiding his intentions.  

Also, I think we're a little too quick to write off Toby Gerhart.  He spent 2014 battling injuries and a bad offensive line.  I think there's a very good chance he could have a big year next year.  

Congrats to Shoelace.  Coming from being the UM QB to working his tail off to learn the RB position in the NFL is mentally and physically difficult to do.  And that's not even considering any ego that other lesser "QB"s would probably have to struggle with.

I have tons of respect for this man.  He's one of my favorite Jaguars is a really, really long time.

The Jags were, using Gerhart wrong. He's not an every down back. We saw him, playing somewhat better late in the season on short downs. Let him ground and pound while D-Rob runs the most plays.

If Todd Gurley is there at Pick 36, then the Jags will have to stop and ponder about taking or passing on such a talent.

He could be another Adrian Peterson.

Quote:If Todd Gurley is there at Pick 36, then the Jags will have to stop and ponder about taking or passing on such a talent.

He could be another Adrian Peterson.
This might be the case given caldwell willingness to gamble on athletes who have been injured like Lee and Colvin. Both fell in draft due to injuries but had top flight athleticism.

Gurley fits that mold and we could take Leonard Williams round 1 and then comeback in rd 3 for a OT .
Well yeah...since he sucked his rookie year he is the most improved.
Quote:Well yeah...since he sucked his rookie year he is the most improved.

Valid point.   When you suck as bad as he did, just making the 53 man roster would put him in the running for most improved player. 
Quote:This might be the case given caldwell willingness to gamble on athletes who have been injured like Lee and Colvin. Both fell in draft due to injuries but had top flight athleticism.

Gurley fits that mold and we could take Leonard Williams round 1 and then comeback in rd 3 for a OT .

tbqh I think we'll be using FA for our O-line upgrades. We've got a lot of youth on the line as it is.
Pages: 1 2 3