Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Kirby Wilson in the running as OC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Might as well give him his own thread as well.

Per rotoworld:

Quote:Jaguars to interview Kirby Wilson for OC job

Kirby Wilson | MIN

(January 6, 2015 8:35 PM EST)

The Jaguars will interview Vikings RBs coach Kirby Wilson for their offensive-coordinator vacancy on Thursday.

Wilson, 53, coached the Steelers' running backs for seven seasons before taking a job on coach Mike Zimmer's staff under OC Norv Turner this past season. He's interviewed for OC vacancies in the past. Wilson's name doesn't jump off the page, but he's a legit candidate. He's worked under the likes of Bruce Arians, Todd Haley, and Turner, and would likely bring an aggressive scheme.

SOURCE: ESPN.COM

That last line intrigues me.
I guess he fits into the experience category. If you've worked with Arians, Haley, and Turner; thats crazy. 

I don't know anything about this guy.  I just hope he's not the cheap option that we go with that'll be learning on the job because we've already seen enough of that.  I'm going to trust that Caldwell and Bradley know what they are doing.

Quote:I don't know anything about this guy. I just hope he's not the cheap option that we go with that'll be learning on the job because we've already seen enough of that. I'm going to trust that Caldwell and Bradley know what they are doing.
Do you honestly think there's a huge difference to an NFL between $750k and $1.2 million, and that any of that would be Bradley's concern?

And after dropping 800 million on the team, 100 million into the stadium, the city, and the London initiative, that they're remotely concerned about a "cheap" option at OC?

Good lord help our fan base.
Quote:Do you honestly think there's a huge difference to an NFL between $750k and $1.2 million, and that any of that would be Bradley's concern?
Probably not, but I just hope we get the right guy this time.  I want to see the team improve.  We have some nice pieces coming into place on that offense and somebody needs to put it all together and teach them how to win.  I don't care if it's the ghost of Vince Lombardi or some guy off the street, just get the right guy this time.  That's all I'm asking for.  I would prefer someone with experience that knows how to call an NFL offense.
THE FUTURE

[Image: Kirby_Wii.png]

No offense to Wilson, but I hope he doesn't get it. I'd love to see this team land someone who's been an NFL coordinator (and/or head coach) who's been there, done that and acquired said t-shirt. Someone who leaves the coaching staff knowing from past examples what to expect, and who will be almost fully autonomous. Wilson doesn't fit that profile. He's an unknown quantity, and the Jags just got burned by one of those.

I hope he gets it! Want to see a dynamic offense not something like SF which is based off having a good o - line and a dynamic qb. I know what Roman and Trestman have to offer and it's not the dynamic offense that I would prefer. Maybe kirby can bring that to jax?
In the "running" haha I get it... because he's a running backs coach... 

Personally, I don't give a crap what kind of offense they run as long as it works.
Can we use the ole phrase we used from years ago (every time we hade a boneheaded decision) ....

"We better act fast on this dude because Belichick is looking at him"

Here's the deal.  We bring him in to interview as the OC.  We already know we're going Roman or Trestman.  While he's here we tell him that we really like him and offer him the RB Coaching Position but put some type of fancy title like Assistant OC and let him work with the RBs and reside as an understudy to the real OC. 

Quote:Here's the deal.  We bring him in to interview as the OC.  We already know we're going Roman or Trestman.  While he's here we tell him that we really like him and offer him the RB Coaching Position but put some type of fancy title like Assistant OC and let him work with the RBs and reside as an understudy to the real OC. 

That actually makes sense.   Tell him we're hiring Trestman, a notorious job-hopper, and we need a guy to take over when Trestman inevitably leaves for another job.  
Posted this on the other thread since his name was mentioned there, but since he now has his own thread, I'm going to post it here as well.

Kirby Wilson:

2002-2003 TB RB Coach - 27th rushing yards, tied for last in rush TDs

2004 - 2006 AZ - 22nd in yards, 11th in TDs; 32nd in yards, last in TD (2!!!!!)

07 - 2013 Steelers - 3rd in yards, 22nd in TDs; 23rd and 13th; 19th and 21st; 11th and 8th; 14th and 15th; 26th and 27th; 27th and 26th

2014 Vikings - 14th and 16th

L...E....L....

Quote:Posted this on the other thread since his name was mentioned there, but since he now has his own thread, I'm going to post it here as well.

Kirby Wilson:

2002-2003 TB RB Coach - 27th rushing yards, tied for last in rush TDs

2004 - 2006 AZ - 22nd in yards, 11th in TDs; 32nd in yards, last in TD (2!!!!!)

07 - 2013 Steelers - 3rd in yards, 22nd in TDs; 23rd and 13th; 19th and 21st; 11th and 8th; 14th and 15th; 26th and 27th; 27th and 26th

2014 Vikings - 14th and 16th

L...E....L....
Yes because those stats have to do with his ability as a RB coach. You realize he didn't call the plays right? I mean there is a reason he is constantly employed every year.
These position coaches work directly with offensive coordinators. At this professional stage honestly who wouldn't have knowledge on game planning and play calling? People act like because these coaches current title begins with WR or RB that they are somehow trapped in a bubble and don't know jack squat about anything other than coaching WRs and RBs. It's the same with LB and DB coaches who get promoted as DCs. These guys know the game. I wish the best for Kirby and the other candidates.
Apparently, he interviewed for the Ravens OC job last year as well. For whatever that is worth.

Quote:Yes because those stats have to do with his ability as a RB coach. You realize he didn't call the plays right? I mean there is a reason he is constantly employed every year.

It's not a definitive stat, no. Some of those teams (I think Arizona was the Emmit years?) didn't have good running backs. I'm thinking MIchael Pittman in TB? But seriously you're going to put the blame on the OC and say that the guy coaching that position responsible for those statistics is not at fault? Some of those were pretty atrocious.

2 rushing TDs all season long? Bottom three in yardage?

Oh wait...on second thought. I guess that makes him perfect for this team. Because that's been us the past couple of years.

I would think that a guy we're looking at for a promotion have had, you know, constant successful stints directing an offense. In this case, even the track record of the position he coached for is below average at best.
Pages: 1 2 3 4