Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Interview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So what would happen if North Korea threatened the release of Avengers 2 or the new Star Wars?
I don't know on one hand you think it's stupid they delayed the release over hackers threats. On the other hand you think how vulnerable are we that they where able to make those threats?

Did North Korea just expose how vulnerable the entire US grid is? Or just Sony? 

Quote:I don't know on one hand you think it's stupid they delayed the release over hackers threats. On the other hand you think how vulnerable are we that they where able to make those threats?

Did North Korea just expose how vulnerable the entire US grid is? Or just Sony? 

I hope they exposed how vulnerable we are.  I know there is a very large cyber-warfare department in the Pentagon, and I hope they are devoting resources to defense and not just offense.  

As for Sony, that's a Japanese company being threatened by a very belligerent, dangerous country, which is led by an unpredictable megalomaniac.   I can't really blame them for running away.   They would be very irresponsible if they did not beat a very swift retreat.  It's not up to the Sony Corporation to fight a war with North Korea. 

It'd be funny, though, if we found out that all these threats were coming from some 14 year old kid in his mom's basement who's mad because his playstation broke and Sony refused to honor his warranty. 

Quote:I hope they exposed how vulnerable we are.  I know there is a very large cyber-warfare department in the Pentagon, and I hope they are devoting resources to defense and not just offense.  

As for Sony, that's a Japanese company being threatened by a very belligerent, dangerous country, which is led by an unpredictable megalomaniac.   I can't really blame them for running away.   They would be very irresponsible if they did not beat a very swift retreat.  It's not up to the Sony Corporation to fight a war with North Korea. 

It'd be funny, though, if we found out that all these threats were coming from some 14 year old kid in his mom's basement who's mad because his playstation broke and Sony refused to honor his warranty. 

That would be funny, and I imagine possible the kid doing all of it. I don't blame Sony at all, I wonder why they didn't make a big stink when the new "Red Dawn" movie made North Korea the bad guys, that was a bold action movie painting them pretty bad? I remember it was originally China and then they didn't want to offend the China movie goers ($$$$) so they made it North Korea before the release. It was an ok movie but to me that would be more offensive then some comedy, I mean it's Seth Rogen....
Quote:That would be funny, and I imagine possible the kid doing all of it. I don't blame Sony at all, I wonder why they didn't make a big stink when the new "Red Dawn" movie made North Korea the bad guys, that was a bold action movie painting them pretty bad? I remember it was originally China and then they didn't want to offend the China movie goers ($$$$) so they made it North Korea before the release. It was an ok movie but to me that would be more offensive then some comedy, I mean it's Seth Rogen....

What about Team America: World Police?  
Quote:What about Team America: World Police?  

Another good one, really begs the question why this movie why now?

Did they just now have the capabilities to attack Sony like this? What's changed?
Quote:Another good one, really begs the question why this movie why now?

Did they just now have the capabilities to attack Sony like this? What's changed?

I think it had to do with the scene where Kim Jong Un's head explodes when it's hit by a missile. 

When I think about it, making a movie about the assassination of an actual foreign leader does come pretty close to crossing the line of, well, something. 
Quote:I think it had to do with the scene where Kim Jong Un's head explodes when it's hit by a missile. 

When I think about it, making a movie about the assassination of an actual foreign leader does come pretty close to crossing the line of, well, something. 

And what about Death of a President?  

I don't think it's crossing any lines at all.  
Quote:I think it had to do with the scene where Kim Jong Un's head explodes when it's hit by a missile. 

I think they killed him in Team America?
Quote:I think they killed him in Team America?

I've never seen the movie (Too much cursing for my tastes), but yes.  They do kill Kim Jong-Il in that movie.  
Quote:I've never seen the movie (Too much cursing for my tastes), but yes.  They do kill Kim Jong-Il in that movie.  

Yes.   They kill Kim Jong IL, not Kim Jong Un. 
Quote:Yes.   They kill Kim Jong IL, not Kim Jong Un. 

Yes, and he was the world leader at the time of the movie's making.  As was Bush at the time of Death of a President.
Pinning it on NK is probably just the easy thing to do.   Wired did a decent article about there being no actual evidence pointing to NK other than some circumstantial evidence

Regardless I find the leaked Sony email about the MPAA wanting isps to dns block sites that "infringe" on their copyrights, more of an act of terrorism than some hackers releasing a what's certain to be a crappy movie. 

Quote:Yes, and he was the world leader at the time of the movie's making.  As was Bush at the time of Death of a President.

I think you mean "a world leader."   Not sure he even qualified as that, though. 
Quote:I think you mean "a world leader."   Not sure he even qualified as that, though. 

He was easily the world leader in craziness.  

>_>
Quote:Pinning it on NK is probably just the easy thing to do.   Wired did a decent article about there being no actual evidence pointing to NK other than some circumstantial evidence

Regardless I find the leaked Sony email about the MPAA wanting isps to dns block sites that "infringe" on their copyrights, more of an act of terrorism than some hackers releasing a what's certain to be a crappy movie. 
Not that I disagree with DNS blocking being a MAJOR issue but I'm pretty sure the terrorism is in the threats blow up movie theaters across the country. 
Quote:Not that I disagree with DNS blocking being a MAJOR issue but I'm pretty sure the terrorism is in the threats blow up movie theaters across the country. 

Which raises an interesting issue: how easy will it be in the future to extort a major company with anonymous threats?   This incident seems to be the blueprint. 
Quote:Which raises an interesting issue: how easy will it be in the future to extort a major company with anonymous threats?   This incident seems to be the blueprint. 
To be fair, the majority of the theaters pulled the plug before Sony Pictures did. Sony can still fight back in a way by making it available online. 
Quote:Not that I disagree with DNS blocking being a MAJOR issue but I'm pretty sure the terrorism is in the threats blow up movie theaters across the country. 

Even DHS who never misses an opportunity to hype up something, said yesterday that there was no credible evidence of an attack being planned.  

I wouldn't be surprised if it was some independent hackers getting their jollies off, Sony has been hacked on and off for like the past couple years, all of a sudden it's North Korea? 
Quote:Even DHS who never misses an opportunity to hype up something, said yesterday that there was no credible evidence of an attack being planned.  

I wouldn't be surprised if it was some independent hackers getting their jollies off, Sony has been hacked on and off for like the past couple years, all of a sudden it's North Korea? 
Probably the case. If it were NK they wouldn't be denying any involvement in the hack, IMO

I'm not saying I agree with their decision but it's understandable that they would shy away from it. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4