Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dont forget about Chris Smith
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If things hold to form, its likely we will be looking a few high end DL prospects come draft time. While I think Williams is the way we should go, I'd like to say dont forget about Chris Smith.

He's been productive when he's played (which has been sparingly) but the very very interesting thing about him are his measurables. Theres a few quantitative models that have specifically predicted the rise of JJ Watt and Jamie Collins respectively- and the only name it spit out last year was Chris Smith.

Its becuse of his incredible burst off the snap and at his height/weight- its extremely rare to find that kind of prospect. In that mold you're talking about Dwight Freeney. In fact, the comps are eerily similar. While Smith lacks the elite top-end speed of Freeny downfield, their burst is identical (vert/10-split/broad).

Give him another year to see if he pans out.

I'll let Caldwell know.

Who?

Quote:Who?
Haha, that was the first thing that popped in my head when i read the topic, almost posted it myself until i read.
Quote:I'll let Caldwell know.
I'll drop it in during our weekly Skype chat.
Um the Chris Smith on our roster. Why is this in NFL at Large?

Quote:Who?
Starlord man, u know the intergalactic outlaw?
Sorry about the sarcastic Jaguar fans OP, I'll join in on the discussion though:

Smith looks like an NFL player no doubt. He stands out to me when he's on the field, but he has not really made an impact play during the regular season although he does not get a lot of playing time. He had a nice preseason and of course he will be in the mix next season to

Improve and compete for a spot on the roster. I'm rooting for him, dude is jacked!
He looks the part for sure
He's only been active for 6 games and has 2 sacks and a forced fumble. Not bad for a 5th round pick with limited playing time.
I think Smith was probably the biggest "project" player we drafted this year. Putting him on the practice squad for a bit pretty much confirms that.

I totally forgot about him. He hasn't done anything in awhile

What's his snap counts in recent weeks? I demand answers.

but he good.
Williams has the making of an every down defensive Lineman.. Smith is a lightweight role player that fits more of a scheme, he's done a nice job at that. Williams could end up being an elite player

What
He looks great tonight

Smith had a good game, hopefully he gets more playing time in the rotation

Quote:What's his snap counts in recent weeks? I demand answers.

but he good.

Since week 8 he's been getting roughly a dozen or so snaps.

14 against the Ravens (no stats)

And 19 against the tacks for 3 hurries and 1 sack.

For the season he has 4 hurries and 3 sacks on 91 snaps.
I like Chris Smith.  This guy seems to produce something every time he gets on the field.  I'd like to see him get more playing time next year.  I think he can grow in to really solid player for us.  I think the defense is going to take another huge step next year with these young guys.

Quote:Since week 8 he's been getting roughly a dozen or so snaps.

14 against the Ravens (no stats)

And 19 against the tacks for 3 hurries and 1 sack.

For the season he has 4 hurries and 3 sacks on 91 snaps.

300 snaps a season would project to 10 sacks in a situational role. That's under 20 snaps a game and most games go to 65 snaps on defense. Basically a 3rd down guy.
Pages: 1 2