Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles and the defense give me hope
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
You can see the potential in both Bortles and the defense. I really feel next year this team is gonna be significantly better once Bortles cleans up the mistakes and we actually block someone. Amazing to think Bortles could walk out of the season being sacked closed too 60 times.
It also will help that next year we play against the Jets and NFC South and do not play against the entire AFC North. However I have to hope we get much better on offense to have any faith in winning some others on our 2015 schedule.

We actually played very competitive football against the AFC North.  Our division is very bad and us with it.  The AFC North greatly benefited from playing the NFC South and the AFC South.  If we could get any improvement, we could own this sorry division and that is the sad part.

The Texans are very pedestrian with no quarterback.

The Titans might be a bigger train wreck than our team.

The Colts have a very good quarterback and a good WR and TE.  Their defense is decent but they are beatable with a porous offensive line.

It is a shame that we aren't seeing better progress. 

Bortles is looking very good. Especially for a rookie QB with no offensive line. His decision making has taken a big step forward. Once we solve that protection issue I think the offense will take a big step. We've seen how bad any qb (Luck, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees) play when they are getting hit nonstop... Bad.

Defense is real close. A DE and FS away from being very good. Our LBs aren't great but not bad and Telvin is going to be awesome.

I'm actually pleased with the Baltimore game for the most part, outside of the OL we played pretty well. Rookie/inexperience issues with the red zone stalls and second half slowdown. Bortles made some GREAT throws, and a few just off the mark that could have been tds. This is what I expected this year though, being able to hold our own against a playoff team. And we've done that a few times this year. Last year I'm confident Bal would have destroyed us.
Quote:You can see the potential in both Bortles and the defense. I really feel next year this team is gonna be significantly better once Bortles cleans up the mistakes and we actually block someone. Amazing to think Bortles could walk out of the season being sacked closed too 60 times.

The sacks worry me.   A rookie QB can have all his potential sacked right out of him.   Yesterday, I saw Bortles duck away from phantom pressure.   Very Gabbert-like.  He had time to throw the ball, but he panicked and ducked right into the pass rushers.   He's lost confidence in the blocking in front of him. 
Quote:The sacks worry me. A rookie QB can have all his potential sacked right out of him. Yesterday, I saw Bortles duck away from phantom pressure. Very Gabbert-like. He had time to throw the ball, but he panicked and ducked right into the pass rushers. He's lost confidence in the blocking in front of him.

Can't say I blame him. He tougher than Gabbert ever was though. I think it's also because earlier in the year he would have tried to force passes in those situations and that's when he would throw a lot of his INTs. I think he's learning sometimes it's better to take the sack than force the throw.

Not to say he's not feeling phantom pressure. Bc he is. I think he'll be ok though.
Quote:Bortles is looking very good. Especially for a rookie QB with no offensive line. His decision making has taken a big step forward. Once we solve that protection issue I think the offense will take a big step. We've seen how bad any qb (Luck, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees) play when they are getting hit nonstop... Bad.

Defense is real close. A DE and FS away from being very good. Our LBs aren't great but not bad and Telvin is going to be awesome.

I'm actually pleased with the Baltimore game for the most part, outside of the OL we played pretty well. Rookie/inexperience issues with the red zone stalls and second half slowdown. Bortles made some GREAT throws, and a few just off the mark that could have been tds. This is what I expected this year though, being able to hold our own against a playoff team. And we've done that a few times this year. Last year I'm confident Bal would have destroyed us.
I dont see it . To me Bortles look rattled confuse sometimes. Bad foot work and some inaccurate throws.. and like u say they could have been tds.. but he is a rookie.Im losing confidence in the coaches ability to make him better.
Quote:Can't say I blame him. He tougher than Gabbert ever was though. I think it's also because earlier in the year he would have tried to force passes in those situations and that's when he would throw a lot of his INTs. I think he's learning sometimes it's better to take the sack than force the throw.

Not to say he's not feeling phantom pressure. Bc he is. I think he'll be ok though.

Yea its good to see he's not forcing the ball anymore
The defense is getting better. Bortles... eh.... not so much....

Quote:It also will help that next year we play against the Jets and NFC South and do not play against the entire AFC North. However I have to hope we get much better on offense to have any faith in winning some others on our 2015 schedule.
This is always the dumbest thing about looking at NEXT years schedule.

You think we are going to be favored against the Saints and Falcons? You have NO idea what next year is going to look like. 
My dad has been saying for weeks as long as Gus is the head Coach Jags won't be any good. Says he isn't the man for the job. 

Quote:The defense is getting better. Bortles... eh.... not so much....

Did you watch?  Did Bortles not try to climb the pocket and stay with the play?  A few of the sacks were his fault because he should have thrown it away but....  He is trying to win.
Quote:Bortles is looking very good. Especially for a rookie QB with no offensive line. His decision making has taken a big step forward. Once we solve that protection issue I think the offense will take a big step. We've seen how bad any qb (Luck, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees) play when they are getting hit nonstop... Bad.

I think it's safe to say we will grab K.J. Wright from Seattle in free agency. Makes too much sense.
For me its Bortles. I didnt want him i admit i wanted teddy but there have been throws from blake that are unreal.

He has taken big steps forward in his decision making from the pocket and footwork under pressure. The new zip on his throws has led to some overthrows but as said in another thread thats a big step from the wobbly duck ints of early season bortles. He actually climbs the pocket now and made throws in traffic something even Teddy is struggling with.

He seems to have learned from his mistakes and gained an understanding of when to go big and when to live to see another down in the same drive. Hell Cutler still hasnt learned that after a damn decade.
This Bortles looks great is a farce. We almost never score over 15 points and I still haven't seen a game that shows why he was picked at 3. Blame the offensive line all you want but a top 3 pick is supppsed to make people better and do more with less. Two games left and still waiting on one breakout game. Doubt it comes.
Yesterday was the first time Bortles had happy feet in the pocket. Not good.

[Image: 200.gif]
One thing yesterday that showed me BB5 can learn and grow was on the last play of the game. Last week it was 4 and 20 and BB5 dumped a pass off for 5 yards. Now im sure they told BB5 if its 4th and long and probably last play of the game even if the reciever is covered chunk it down there give them a chance to catch it or get PT Dont dump it off. Well this week same thing 4 and long last play and he did not dump it he chunked it downfield, now it was a INT but just that mentallity to throw it down and give the chance showed he can be taught and laern form mistakes. I think he will be the Real Deal at QB for the Jags in the coming years.

The Bortles pass to Hurns where Hurns almost got killed and the slightly overthrown ball to Lee for the TD should give any fan hope that Bortles is going to be a stud. Just wait until he has more than 2 seconds to throw it.

Quote:This Bortles looks great is a farce. We almost never score over 15 points and I still haven't seen a game that shows why he was picked at 3. Blame the offensive line all you want but a top 3 pick is supppsed to make people better and do more with less. Two games left and still waiting on one breakout game. Doubt it comes.
I really do like Blake but it would be nice if he would have had a game like Carr where he throws for 3 TDs and no picks.
Quote:My dad has been saying for weeks as long as Gus is the head Coach Jags won't be any good. Says he isn't the man for the job. 

your dad's insight is enlightening  Rolleyes
Pages: 1 2