Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How old were you (or your kids) when you learned 'The Truth'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
You know, about [spoiler]Santa[/spoiler]

I'm curious, because my kids are getting to the age where they'll soon be in on the secret.  I was ten when I learned, and my wife was four when she learned (her older sister spoiled it for her)  And my wife thinks it's time we stop putting up the facade.  While I want to keep it going.  

So how old were you (or your kids), and how did you find out?  Did you learn on your own?  Did a sibling or parent tell you?  Did you tell your kids?  Let them find out on their own?

I was ten, and my mom told me.  

I think I was 4-5.  My mother didn't want me to believe.  She'd rather me know that Jesus is the reason for the season.

Quote:You know, about [spoiler]Santa[/spoiler]

I'm curious, because my kids are getting to the age where they'll soon be in on the secret. I was ten when I learned, and my wife was four when she learned (her older sister spoiled it for her) And my wife thinks it's time we stop putting up the facade. While I want to keep it going.

So how old were you (or your kids), and how did you find out? Did you learn on your own? Did a sibling or parent tell you? Did you tell your kids? Let them find out on their own?

You mean??!?!!

Thanks a lot man. Ruined my day.
hahaha ^

Quote:You know, about [spoiler]Santa[/spoiler]

I'm curious, because my kids are getting to the age where they'll soon be in on the secret.  I was ten when I learned, and my wife was four when she learned (her older sister spoiled it for her)  And my wife thinks it's time we stop putting up the facade.  While I want to keep it going.  

So how old were you (or your kids), and how did you find out?  Did you learn on your own?  Did a sibling or parent tell you?  Did you tell your kids?  Let them find out on their own?

I have no idea what you are talking about! (Fingers in ears...Lalalalalalalalalalalalalaa!!!!)
My son is 8 and came to me a few weeks ago and said he knew it wasn't real. I was probably about the same age. I think for him, it was probably kids in school talking about it.

Christmas is much more fun as a parent when the kids still believe (or let you think they believe) than once they know it's you that getting stuff for them.

Plus it's a lot easier to blame him for not getting them the "insert name here" toy of the moment than it is to deal with them judging you for not getting it for them!! :thumbsup:
My son was probably about 8 or so as well.

I think when you're a single parent they also figure it out quicker haha.
Quote:My son is 8 and came to me a few weeks ago and said he knew it wasn't real. I was probably about the same age. I think for him, it was probably kids in school talking about it.
My son is eight as well and he knows I think, but he plays along for his younger sisters.
Quote:My son is eight as well and he knows I think, but he plays along for his younger sisters.

And he might be secretly scared he won't get any more goodies if he "knows". That's why my son said he pretended for a few years!
Quote:Christmas is much more fun as a parent when the kids still believe (or let you think they believe) than once they know it's you that getting stuff for them.

Plus it's a lot easier to blame him for not getting them the "insert name here" toy of the moment than it is to deal with them judging you for not getting it for them!! :thumbsup:

Yeah, i think it's much more fun.  I like the idea that they can believe the world is a more magical place for a little while longer.  

I think I've been lucky as far as my kids go.  We spoil them, but they're never upset if they don't get something they want. They're happy as long as they get a couple of things on their list.  The worst I've seen them was when we got them their 3DS's, and we forgot to wrap one of them.  The other two were really upset that their sister didn't get one too.  Of course once we realized our mistake, my wife hastily went back into our bedroom to wrap the present, and said Santa left it in our room by mistake.   Of course we also don't do ALL of our gifts from Santa.  Some are from us too.  

Quote:My son is eight as well and he knows I think, but he plays along for his younger sisters.

That's good.  Some siblings can be bad about it when they find out.  Like my wife's sister.  What made it harder was that my wife had to play along for her little brother, despite never believing herself.  I'm glad our youngest kids are too young to have it spoiled for them.  Though I think my kids wouldn't do that, you can never be totally sure.  It's nice when siblings can play along for their younger siblings.  

He has a younger sister and cousins and he plays along with it for them.

Quote:And he might be secretly scared he won't get any more goodies if he "knows". That's why my son said he pretended for a few years!

I think that may have been the case last year with my son.

I was 10 also. A friend told me lol.

It's a shame that people only celebrate Christmas these days only for the Materialistic aspect of it. Most people celebrating it aren't even Christians...

Quote:I think I was 4-5.  My mother didn't want me to believe.  She'd rather me know that Jesus is the reason for the season.
Same for me and my siblings. I don't have kids to tell so.....

I was in the fourth grade.  We were sitting at lunch and one little kid basically said he knew he wasnt real and told his story how he knew.  I think I questioned it, but that was the nail in the coffin.

If I could find that kid now I would punch him.  Like Bch said, it's more fun believing in it.

Bch, while we're on the topic...are you ok with the nickname Bch?  I dont want to offend you.

My sons 4 and told me the other day Santa isn't real.  I don't ever remember believing in Santa.

Quote:I was in the fourth grade.  We were sitting at lunch and one little kid basically said he knew he wasnt real and told his story how he knew.  I think I questioned it, but that was the nail in the coffin.

If I could find that kid now I would punch him.  Like Bch said, it's more fun believing in it.

Bch, while we're on the topic...are you ok with the nickname Bch?  I dont want to offend you.

Just don't add a t in there.  
6-ish IIRC.
Santa is real. As long as he exist in the hearts and minds of those that would give he will never die.

Granted the Whole North Pole bit is hokey but........
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT ?

theres no santa clause ?

no wonder,it all make sense now.

and all this time I thought I was naughty Blush

Pages: 1 2 3