Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blake Bortles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I just want to ask jag fans a honest question about Blake not trolling. What concerns you more going forward his decision making or his mechanics?

I think this kid has plenty of talent but is staring down WR and throwing into triple coverage something that can be taught? Remember when Gabbert was 

here people said( most correct) that you can't teak pocket awareness, however can you teach mechanics and decision making? I remember when Leftwich 

was here no matter who worked with him he still had the windup delivery which never changed. 

Quote:I just want to ask jag fans a honest question about Blake not trolling. What concerns you more going forward his decision making or his mechanics?

I think this kid has plenty of talent but is staring down WR and throwing into triple coverage something that can be taught? Remember when Gabbert was 

here people said( most correct) that you can't teak pocket awareness, however can you teach mechanics and decision making? I remember when Leftwich 

was here no matter who worked with him he still had the windup delivery which never changed. 

I'd say some mechanics can't be easily changed, but that's mostly throwing motion.

I think Bortles is fine from that perspective. His biggest problem is his drop back and his footwork. That's why he seems to throw some balls really short at times.

Decision making is something that should be fixable too, assuming he has the intelligence to actually be able to tell what he's looking at when he's on the field compared to when he's looking at film.

Bortles' problems are fixable, but a guy has to really want to fix his problems to fix them. I'm distressed that his footwork has reverted so badly when it's something he should be able to practice on his own time easily.
Footwork is overrated.  Look at Aaron Rodgers.  He's accurate throwing the ball with both feet off the ground.

Has he thrown in to triple coverage recently?

Reading blitzes and exotic coverages. Thankfully this is something easy to teach with experience and confidence.
I'll just leave this here, from Football Outsiders.

Quote:<div>Bortles' career began with significant playing time (24 passes) against Indianapolis in Week 3, and he has started every game for the Jaguars since. Only once in those ten starts has he finished above replacement level. No, this is not what you'd expect from the third overall pick. He's on pace to finish somewhere south of -900 DYAR passing, a threshold that has been broken only twice since 1989. If he really stinks up the joint, he could threaten the all-time worst mark of -1,010 DYAR set in 2011 by ... ex-Jacksonville quarterback Blaine Gabbert. Poor Jaguars fans.

Bortles has combined an unwatchable tendency to check down (his average pass this season has traveled 7.0 yards past the line of scrimmage, next to last among starters) with an appalling lack of ball security (a league-high 16 interceptions).

In defense of Bortles, the problems in Jacksonville go way beyond the quarterback position. Before getting benched, Chad Henne put up a DVOA of -54.9% in 94 passes. That is much worse than Bortles' DVOA, and would be far and away the worst mark of Henne's own mediocre career. Only 34 quarterbacks in our database have had a DVOA below -50% on at least 90 passes

</div>

To answer your question it would most likely be the decision making. Mechanically, the things he needs to work on a fixable. Footwork is the part that will help him throw passes with more authority more consistently but his release is great. Decision making is my concern to answer your question but I'm not really worried about it to be honest. Teams are game planing against him to the fact that he is a rookie and has never seen this stuff before. Most of these teams are playing things they normally would play against other qbs but they are intentionally trying to confuse him. 

To me, the biggest concern is if the fans are willing to give him a chance to  develop. He really stepped into a bad situation here. We are so desperate for a winner here and I think we tend to forget we need other pieces to make that happen. 

Its nearly impossible to change a QBs throwing motion and delivery. It takes thousands and thousands of physical reps to change muscle memory and even that won't guarantee a QB not reverting back to his old ways under pressure. The good news is that Bortles motion and delivery isn't an issue. He needs work on his footwork which is coachable.

His decision making will improve with experience. He has to learn what will and what will not work at the next level. The only way that will happen is for him to make mistakes and learn from them.
He's really innaccurate. I don't know if he can improve much. I hope so.

Quote: 

<div>

</div>

There's only one useful piece of information in that passage, and that is that on the same team with the same staff and players around him Bortles is way ahead of Henne, and that's as a rookie coming in without the benefit of the first team reps through all of training camp.
Quote: 

If they think Bortles has "an unwatchable tendency to check down", I wonder what they say about Carr.
He's a rookie, both should improve with experience.  If they dont by say his 40th start well then it may be time to move on...(see Jay Cutler)

Excuse 1) He's sacked too often with too much pressure and not enough time to throw.

Fact- He is tied for 3rd in sacks among QBs with Alex Smith of KC and 49ers Collin both have a QB rating over 85 yet Bortles is the lowest in the league 71.4 2nd to only Geno Hayes

Excuse 2) He's a rookie still learning the ropes.

Fact - D. Carr of the Raiders has thrown for more yards, and a slightly higher QB rating at 78 yet sacked only 16 times. Peyton Manning had a poor QB rating his rookie year throwing many INTs.  Rookies make mistakes.

Excuse 3) He's playing injured due to the weak Oline.

Fact- Had an ankle and shoulder issuse and MRI but was only an inflamation.

Excuse 4) The OC Fisch is holding him back because hes inability to learn the playbook.

Fact - The offense was horrible under Chad Henne last season with a better Oline and this year until week 3 when he was pulled for lack of ability to get a first down on a regular basis.

Excuse 5) He's too quick to leave the pocket than to throw.

Fact - Blake ran 47times for 306 yards a 6.5 average (the best RB on the Jags) but a few were option read designed run plays.

Excuse 6) He does worse against 3-4 defenses.

Fact - Some of his worst games were against 3-4s the Browns 40.3 QB rating, Colts 2nd game 55.5 Rating, Steelers 52 Rating, Texans 64 Rating. He played well against the colts the first time and Chargers with 80 ratings 

Excuse 7) His RBs are injured along with Oline and revolving & WRs

Fact - True injuries have plauged the oline & Rbs and a few just failed to perform their jobs and were released or benched.

Excuse 8) Its OC Fischs fault for being outcoached

Fact - Several trick plays brought in each week which HC Gus felt too much time was being spent on and not enough on core plays.  2nd year different players still one of the worst offenses in NFL.  Fisch's job is in question.

Excuse 9) Blake was a reach to fit a need

Fact - Texans had Blake as a player they considered for a long time with Clowney, but went with the best overall athlete (BAP method).

Excuse 10) He was thrown into the fire too soon they went against their own plan of benching him this season just like Blaine

Fact - True, HC & GM repeatedly told the press that Blake would not start this year and caved after a horrible performance by Chad Henne.  Does a player truly learn by sitting on the bench I say he does not.

Quote:Excuse 1) He's sacked too often with too much pressure and not enough time to throw.

Fact- He is tied for 3rd in sacks among QBs with Alex Smith of KC and 49ers Collin both have a QB rating over 85 yet Bortles is the lowest in the league 71.4 2nd to only Geno Hayes

Excuse 2) He's a rookie still learning the ropes.

Fact - D. Carr of the Raiders has thrown for more yards, and a slightly higher QB rating at 78 yet sacked only 16 times. Peyton Manning had a poor QB rating his rookie year throwing many INTs.  Rookies make mistakes.

Excuse 3) He's playing injured due to the weak Oline.

Fact- Had an ankle and shoulder issuse and MRI but was only an inflamation.

Excuse 4) The OC Fisch is holding him back because hes inability to learn the playbook.

Fact - The offense was horrible under Chad Henne last season with a better Oline and this year until week 3 when he was pulled for lack of ability to get a first down on a regular basis.

Excuse 5) He's too quick to leave the pocket than to throw.

Fact - Blake ran 47times for 306 yards a 6.5 average (the best RB on the Jags) but a few were option read designed run plays.

Excuse 6) He does worse against 3-4 defenses.

Fact - Some of his worst games were against 3-4s the Browns 40.3 QB rating, Colts 2nd game 55.5 Rating, Steelers 52 Rating, Texans 64 Rating. He played well against the colts the first time and Chargers with 80 ratings who run 3-4. 

Excuse 7) His RBs are injured along with Oline and revolving & WRs

Fact - True injuries have plauged the oline & Rbs and a few just failed to perform their jobs and were released or benched.

Excuse 8) Its OC Fischs fault for being outcoached

Fact - Several trick plays brought in each week which HC Gus felt too much time was being spent on and not enough on core plays.  2nd year different players still one of the worst offenses in NFL.  Fisch's job is in question.

Excuse 9) Blake was a reach to fit a need

Fact - Texans had Blake as a player they considered for a long time with Clowney, but went with the best overall athlete (BAP method).

Excuse 10) He was thrown into the fire too soon they went against their own plan of benching him this season just like Blaine

Fact - True, HC & GM repeatedly told the press that Blake would not start this year and caved after a horrible performance by Chad Henne.  Does a player truly learn by sitting on the bench I say he does not.

Did you copy and paste these from somewhere or are you really putting that much time into this?
Sadly I did not copy and paste... I typed it up... help me get a life.

Quote:Sadly I did not copy and paste... I typed it up... help me get a life.

Confusedweat:
I felt bortles has improved alot the last 2 weeks. His footwork comes and goes which can be improved and decision making comes from XP.

Watch the dropped pass by Harbor where blake climbed the pocket (something he did multiple times this game that he didnt do before) in a crowd and fired a Aaron Rodgers esque strike over the inside defender and then tell me the kid cant make it. When i saw ball leap from his hands like that my jaw dropped.

Or the rollout TD to hurns not every QB can make those throws and gabbert would have never gotten outside the pocket much less done it smoothly while delivering a nice dart pass in the back of the endzone.
Quote:Has he thrown in to triple coverage recently?
Lets worry about Blakes single coverage interception problem before we even think about having him throw into triple coverage.
Quote:Lets worry about Blakes single coverage interception problem before we even think about having him throw into triple coverage.

Which gets back to a problem someone brought up in another thread.

There is way too much short passing to the sidelines in this offense. Not nearly enough short passing over the middle of the field.

It's not clear to me if it's the playcalling that's the problem, or players recognizing what they need to do, but it's something that should be fixed.
To me it's players. Everyone wants him to make the Aaron Rodgers throws every game and forget that he is a rookie. Right now he needs easy throws and help. He has no safety value to throw to (e.g. a tight end). or no dominate rb to help him make play action easy throws. It's almost like we wanted him to walk out there with 5 other new players and dominate every game. He doesn't have much help right now. That's not to say the guys we have wont develop because I think everyone will be way better next year but right now he has no help. I'm surpired he has complete over 60% of his passes for the year to be honest. There are so many drops and difficult throws he has to make every week. Even Brady has that play action over the middle pass to Gronk lol. They run that play like 8 times a game. 

It seems like if he doesn't make a wow play then we don't move the ball effectively. That is not a good way to play.

I don't feel it's play calling because honestly there aren't any guys taking over games to make anything work. 

Pages: 1 2 3