Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: OC Play-Calling VS. Youth/Inexperience/Struggling O-line
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I figure this will be a viable topic moving forward - so I gave it a thread.  

Many of us have hashed this out in various threads over the course of the season.  I've been clear that Fisch occasionally baffles me with a call or two that I don't like - but I think he's been handicapped by a struggling line and a ton of rookie mistakes. 

DiRocco (ESPN beat writer) agrees.  When asked if  the Jags need a new OC:

Quote: 

@ESPNdirocco: No. Firing Jedd Fisch would be the worst possible thing to do for Blake Bortles. You would be asking him to learn a new offense in his second season. That's a great way to ensure that a young quarterback will struggle. The only game this season in which I thought Fisch didn't do a good job play-calling was the second Indianapolis game. The problems with the offense are mainly due to youth and inexperience, not play-calling.

Quote:@ESPNdirocco: Fisch has been an assistant coach in the NFL for 11 seasons and has been an offensive coordinator in college for three seasons, including two at Miami. Yes, he's still growing as a play-caller, but there is no lack of confidence in Fisch by Gus Bradley or anyone else in the building.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">While I have taken issue with 3 or 4 of DiRocco's positions this year - I'm with him on this one.   

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">While I think play calling has factored in to the problems in a few games, I see how they are trying to groom the kid and milk blood from a stone with this offensive line. I think it's 85-90% a youth issue.  ( at QB, WR and O- Line) 

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">And, yes, changing offenses would be a stumbling block for Blake.  

Marquis Lee is finally starting to get it. We should totally change it up next year so we can complain about him having a bad start to the season!

Quote:Many of us have hashed this out in various threads over the course of the season.  I've been clear that Fisch occasionally baffles me with a call or two that I don't like - but I think he's been handicapped by a struggling line and a ton of rookie mistakes. 

<div> 
<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">While I have taken issue with 3 or 4 of DiRocco's positions this year - I'm with him on this one.   

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">I figure this will be a viable topic moving forward - so I gave it a thread.   

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">While I think play calling has factored in to the problems in a few games, I see how they are trying to groom the kid and milk blood from a stone with this offensive line. I think it's 85-90% a youth issue.  ( at QB, WR and O- Line) 

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">And, yes, changing offenses would be a stumbling block for Blake.  

</div>
Be prepared to take a lot of heat for posting this NYC4jags.
Quote:Many of us have hashed this out in various threads over the course of the season.  I've been clear that Fisch occasionally baffles me with a call or two that I don't like - but I think he's been handicapped by a struggling line and a ton of rookie mistakes. 

<div> 
<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">While I have taken issue with 3 or 4 of DiRocco's positions this year - I'm with him on this one.   

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">I figure this will be a viable topic moving forward - so I gave it a thread.   

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">While I think play calling has factored in to the problems in a few games, I see how they are trying to groom the kid and milk blood from a stone with this offensive line. I think it's 85-90% a youth issue.  ( at QB, WR and O- Line) 

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">And, yes, changing offenses would be a stumbling block for Blake.  

</div>

I, too, agree with DiRocco (for what that's worth).

Doesn't matter. The #1 rule of football message boards is Blame the OC.
I agree.  Firing Jedd is a stupid idea.  There are tons of examples of why it's a bad idea to fire the OC on a young QB's team.  We've even seen it first hand here recently with Gabbert.  Jedd should stick around, as much as many on this board don't want him to.  

I'm thinking about Bortles' development, and not him having to stop working on that just to learn a new playbook.

Quote:Be prepared to take a lot of heat for posting this NYC4jags.
Yeah.  I know the flames with flicker, LOL. 

I'm sure there are a number of posters - even those who I often agree frequently with - that will not agree on this.  They may be right, and only time will tell. 

It's funny. I didn't think the play calling was that great in the beginning but he has really come on. Going to the wolverine package last week sparked the offense. And that game winning drive was pretty genius the way he played to Bortles (current) strength--his athletism. Kudos to Jedd for making it happen with a bunch of youngins.
I get frustrated when the offense isn't moving well, but I tend to think Fisch is doing a decent job.  I would like to see Bortles transition into year 2 with the same guy.

I have been saying this for a while now.  Fisch isnt the greatest OC or some sort of guru but he is handcuffed with a very young offense and an OL that is pretty terrible

It's not all Fisch's fault, for sure, but he seems more of a "learn to do it my way" guy instead of a "let me learn your strengths so we can make a system that works with them" guy.

I think he could do more with formation to help the offense out with its biggest problem, which is getting the correct blocking assignments in pass protection.

But...but...WE NEED TO FIRE SOMEONE!  HARRUMPH!!!

Seriously, with as many changes as we've seen this year with personnel on offense, coupled with the fact that we're starting more rookies, particularly on that side of the ball, than any other team in the league, is it any wonder this offense is struggling? 

Most fans here understood that there would be challenges, especially once the rookie took over at QB.  Those people aren't surprised one bit by what we've seen this year.  The reality is, while some of his play calling is questionable, that's no different from any other coordinator in the entire league.  There isn't one perfect offensive coordinator in the NFL who calls the right play every time. 

Firing Fisch at this point in Bortles development would be counterproductive, and potentially disastrous for this team.  The play calling will mature as the offense does, and we will start to create an identity on that side of the ball.  If there are still major challenges next season, then you've got an opportunity to do some house cleaning with the coaching staff. 

Barring another team coming in and snatching Fisch for another position, there's no reason to change things up right now. 

Quote:It's not all Fisch's fault, for sure, but he seems more of a "learn to do it my way" guy instead of a "let me learn your strengths so we can make a system that works with them" guy.

I think he could do more with formation to help the offense out with its biggest problem, which is getting the correct blocking assignments in pass protection.
Really?  Because his play calling has absolutely changed to take advantage of what Bortles can do over what Henne was capable of. 
Quote:Really?  Because his play calling has absolutely changed to take advantage of what Bortles can do over what Henne was capable of. 

The Bortles roll-outs.  The Marquis Lee reverse/fake reverse. The Denard swing pass. (been taking advantage of that lately)  

Hurns in the seam has been open several times though Bortles was either pressured or didn't see it.  < That seemed by design for the player as well.  

Let's not forget the Sanders gadgets last season.  

The wolverine package. 

I think he's certainly made efforts to tailor things to players' strengths. He could do a bit more - and likely will when they truly know what the "strengths" are. 

( I do think he might have taken advantage of a few of these things more often and sooner at times - to be fair) 

Play call execution has been poor.
Quote:I figure this will be a viable topic moving forward - so I gave it a thread.  

Many of us have hashed this out in various threads over the course of the season.  I've been clear that Fisch occasionally baffles me with a call or two that I don't like - but I think he's been handicapped by a struggling line and a ton of rookie mistakes. 

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">While I have taken issue with 3 or 4 of DiRocco's positions this year - I'm with him on this one.   

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">While I think play calling has factored in to the problems in a few games, I see how they are trying to groom the kid and milk blood from a stone with this offensive line. I think it's 85-90% a youth issue.  ( at QB, WR and O- Line) 

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">And, yes, changing offenses would be a stumbling block for Blake.  

I agree with this position.  I think Fisch has struggled at times both from the stand point of getting to know the personnel (remember many are new to the team), but the youth in the offense has factored in enormously too.  We'll see some new blood next year but I think Caldwell will be able to focus more on filling holes instead of restocking the roster wholesale.  With a year of experience for the rookies, we should see a nice step forward next year.
O Line also doesnt have their coach in Yarno battling cancer......also can't be overlooked

So spending another season with a bad familiar OC is better than taking the chance on finding a competent one?
If the fans say change the coaches, they probably should. After all, the fans are the experts, right?

I like this thread.  Let's see how we do today.  If Fish starts game planning like we're down 21 points all the time, we might just have something.

I think it's silly to say that firing an incompetent OC is detrimental to a rookie QB's development.  Keeping an incompetent OC is just as bad has changing things up.  I mean, that's common sense, right?

Quote:If the fans say change the coaches, they probably should. After all, the fans are the experts, right?

Only the ones who play FF and Madden.
Pages: 1 2 3 4