Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: All this we need a DE riff raff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I don't understand everybody saying we need DE's. From what I've been reading a good majority of people are calling for the jags to draft a de. I look at team like the jets that built up that defensive line year after year it looks great but it will hurt you in the long run. Our d-line is the only constant thing we've had all year. I think the major focus for FA and the draft should be what we truly need to fix our godawful o-line and adding to the secondary. McCray is looking good and Colvin is looking promising but both safetys are looking rough. I love Cyprien I'm still rooting for the guy but he has not been playing to his potential, and Evans hasn't been looking great. if we can bring in some talent to help out those positions we could do big things. What do you think? Agree, don't care, or I'm a fool
It's because Clemons isn't young and grabbing more pass rushers and adding depth to your D-line is never a bad thing.  The draft also features more defensive talent than last year (IMO) so grabbing a D-lineman makes sense.

If there was an Eric Berry or Earl Thomas like prospect there, then that's different, but there isn't.

Chris Clemons is 33. No other LEO candidate has distinguished himself. We absolutely need a DE, and I wouldn't be surprised or complain if a DE was the Jags' first-round pick.

Im all for a DE if they think he is a sure fire hit in the first, I want us to hit on our first rounders lol.

I do agree that our DLine has been solid and we need help in the secondary as well as Oline.

As well as some of our DLine has some miles on them... So honestly I'd go any which way I just hope we start hitting on our picks Smile

Quote:I don't understand everybody saying we need DE's. From what I've been reading a good majority of people are calling for the jags to draft a de. I look at team like the jets that built up that defensive line year after year it looks great but it will hurt you in the long run. Our d-line is the only constant thing we've had all year. I think the major focus for FA and the draft should be what we truly need to fix our godawful o-line and adding to the secondary. McCray is looking good and Colvin is looking promising but both safetys are looking rough. I love Cyprien I'm still rooting for the guy but he has not been playing to his potential, and Evans hasn't been looking great. if we can bring in some talent to help out those positions we could do big things. What do you think? Agree, don't care, or I'm a fool
There is no stud outside pass rusher that consistently beats or challenges one-on-ones on this team.

Elite defenses almost always have a guy like that. 

It's like they are taking the running back by committee approach at LEO right now. Having a young guy there with elite talent is seen as a priority by many GMs. Caldwell may or may not feel the same way.  We'll see in May of next year. 

It's also possible they put off addressing that another year and go with the committee approach while they build other areas of the roster. 

(they will definitely address FS regardless of what they do at DE)

I wouldn't mind a Leonard Williams or a Randy Gregory but if those 2 aren't there i would trade down a few spots and grab Brandon Scherff. I think he will be HOF OL when its all said and done. Watch, Brandon Scherff will be a top OL in the NFL all time. He can play G/OT and at LT he makes sense. He pushes people to the ground constantly and is a running wreck in the run game. BB needs help more than the DL needs help. Keep Clemons around and rotate him with Branch until Branch can learn to be Clemons caliber or better.

The team invested a 1st round pick in a QB last year; now, it is time to protect the investment by building a premium offensive line.  Caldwell I am sure does not want to see Bortles become David Carr.  The DL, and DE to be more specific, is fine for another year.  If he goes defense this next draft, LB and FS could be an area to be addressed.  Landon Collins would look good in teal, but I don't see DC using a 1st round pick at safety yet. 

Quote:Im all for a DE if they think he is a sure fire hit in the first, I want us to hit on our first rounders lol.
No such thing.

Quote:Landon Collins would look good in teal, but I don't see DC using a 1st round pick at safety yet. 
Collins is closer to Cyprien than Earl Thomas. He won't be a first-round pick of the Jags next year regardless of where we are in the top ten.
Gregory or Scherff will make me happy
Quote:The team invested a 1st round pick in a QB last year; now, it is time to protect the investment by building a premium offensive line. Caldwell I am sure does not want to see Bortles become David Carr. The DL, and DE to be more specific, is fine for another year. If he goes defense this next draft, LB and FS could be an area to be addressed. Landon Collins would look good in teal, but I don't see DC using a 1st round pick at safety yet.

I'm personally not a fan of Collins at FS, the guys I'm liking are Gerod Hollimon in the second or Cody Prewitt in the 3rd or possibly trade up late in the second for him. But If those two aren't available id like to pay up a little and grab one in FA
When you are in the position the Jags are in, you best draft the BAP no matter what position he is. Can't afford that many more misses.

If theres one thing Gus is good at it's finding a pass rush. The guys he's brought in are playing out of their minds. Even guys like Willie Young who we didn't sign (but brought in) is beasting now for the Bears.

Bradley and Caldwell know good pass rushers when they see them. It's not something I'm concerned about us maintaining.

Quote:I look at team like the jets that built up that defensive line year after year it looks great but it will hurt you in the long run. 

I look at a team like the Giants that drafted DE's in the 1st round in 2006 and 2010 in spite of having good ones already, and won Superbowls in Jan 2008 and 2012.

Quote:I look at a team like the Giants that drafted DE's in the 1st round in 2006 and 2010 in spite of having good ones already, and won Superbowls in Jan 2008 and 2012.

Dang, a burn with an example from a team from the same state and that used to share stadiums. Well done.
Quote:I don't understand everybody saying we need DE's. From what I've been reading a good majority of people are calling for the jags to draft a de. I look at team like the jets that built up that defensive line year after year it looks great
but it will hurt you in the long run. Our d-line is the only constant thing we've had all year. I think the major focus for FA and the draft should be what we truly need to fix our godawful o-line and adding to the secondary. McCray is looking good and Colvin is looking promising but both safetys are looking rough. I love Cyprien I'm still rooting for the guy but he has not been playing to his potential, and Evans hasn't been looking great. if we can bring in some talent to help out those positions we could do big things. What do you think? Agree, don't care, or I'm a fool
In order to keep it great, you have to keep youth behind the veterans so when the vets are done, the youth is ready...It's always best to have replacements already on the roster BEFORE you need them...If you wait until the DL is too old, your back to having a bunch of rookies starting on the DL instead of seasoned vets...Not to mention, it only takes one injury to put out a highly valued DL...Maintenance is a key fundamental

I agree we need other positions too, but you have to keep your well stocked/well playing positions maintained or they won't still be productive
Quote:I look at a team like the Giants that drafted DE's in the 1st round in 2006 and 2010 in spite of having good ones already, and won Superbowls in Jan 2008 and 2012.

The real interesting takeaway here is that the Superbowls were both won the season after the DE was drafted. Every time this team drafts a DE we're told that DE is a tough adjustment and to give it a year or two. So when we talk about putting off finding that "stud DE" for another year, I think we all need to keep that in perspective when the team is either rolling with a 35-36 year old Clemons (I don't know when his birthday is. Sorry.) and a committee which might feature a rookie or just a straight committee which might feature a rookie.

Now I'm not saying the team needs to take an elite DE this year, as there's certainly enough holes to fill on this roster that I'd rather have the best player on the board (unless he's a punter... :whistling: ). BUT, I do think that if this is a team looking to really begin competing for a superbowl spot 2 years from now, they've gotta find that elite franchise pass-rusher sooner rather than later, because the transition period for DE is generally longer than most other positions.
we need Mariotta

Quote:I don't understand everybody saying we need DE's. From what I've been reading a good majority of people are calling for the jags to draft a de. I look at team like the jets that built up that defensive line year after year it looks great but it will hurt you in the long run. Our d-line is the only constant thing we've had all year. I think the major focus for FA and the draft should be what we truly need to fix our godawful o-line and adding to the secondary. McCray is looking good and Colvin is looking promising but both safetys are looking rough. I love Cyprien I'm still rooting for the guy but he has not been playing to his potential, and Evans hasn't been looking great. if we can bring in some talent to help out those positions we could do big things. What do you think? Agree, don't care, or I'm a fool

It is a shame the team cannot add a pass rusher and a safety. Damn shame.
Tip toe wing in my jawwdinz
OP doesn't watch football or he would realize that we NEED a pass-rushing DE (LEO) and more importantly, it's looking like there will be some ideal candidates available to us in the draft, even if we (hopefully) trade back a few spots. 

We have our franchise QB, we drafted WR's, O-line, etc. and if there are 2 things we need on D it's a young DE and FS.  

Pages: 1 2 3