Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Brian Billick's Report Card - Jags/giants
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I keep saying it, this team isn't that far away from winning, whenever you can stop the run and rush the passer you have a chance to win each and every Sunday. If this offense takes a huge step forward we'll compete in 2015, especially with our current cap and draft situation.

Quote:I keep saying it, this team isn't that far away from winning, whenever you can stop the run and rush the passer you have a chance to win each and every Sunday. If this offense takes a huge step forward we'll compete in 2015, especially with our current cap and draft situation.

This is what happened last year. Everyone gets all excited. Our record is currently worse than last year. Great win, but just take it down a notch.
Quote:This is what happened last year. Everyone gets all excited. Our record is currently worse than last year. Great win, but just take it down a notch.

If you think the 2014 defense is similar to what we saw last year, then you're clueless.
Quote:This is what happened last year. Everyone gets all excited. Our record is currently worse than last year. Great win, but just take it down a notch.

How many wins did we have through 12 games last year? We won four out of 16, not four out of 12.
Quote:If you think the 2014 defense is similar to what we saw last year, then you're clueless.

So in 2014, the Jags D is 28th in yards/game, 21st in yards/play, 28th in total points...

The D Line is better than last year without a doubt, but the LB corps and the secondary is weaker so it's hard to sell the D this year better than last year other than havnig more sacks this year.

Also, 2 key players, Gratz and Cyp who we hoped last year were ascending players, are not improving at this point.  That also ignores that we were all hoping that Evans might be a starting caliber FS.

Telvin Smith and Colvin show potential but it's hard to really call the D this year that much better than last year overall when considering all position groups.
Quote:So in 2014, the Jags D is 28th in yards/game, 21st in yards/play, 28th in total points...

The D Line is better than last year without a doubt, but the LB corps and the secondary is weaker so it's hard to sell the D this year better than last year other than havnig more sacks this year.

Also, 2 key players, Gratz and Cyp who we hoped last year were ascending players, are not improving at this point.  That also ignores that we were all hoping that Evans might be a starting caliber FS.

Telvin Smith and Colvin show potential but it's hard to really call the D this year that much better than last year overall when considering all position groups.

The defense is definitely better this year, you mentioned the defensive line but the linebackers are better as well, specifically in coverage, that (along with an incompetent pass rush) was the achilles heel for this defense last year. There's absolutely no way the 2013 defense would've held the high powered Colts offense to 23 points in that dome, that was one of the more impressive performances of any defense this year. I'm not declaring this unit the second coming of the 2000 Ravens, but it's clearly a unit that disrupts QB's with its pass rush and has the ability to shrink the field with the speed of its linebackers in coverage. There are some nice building blocks on the defensive side of the ball, there are impact players on the defensive line, and potential impact players at linebacker (Telvin Smith) and in the secondary (Demetrius McCray), there's no reason to think they won't continue to improve in 2015, especially considering our cap and draft position.

Quote:I keep saying it, this team isn't that far away from winning, whenever you can stop the run and rush the passer you have a chance to win each and every Sunday. If this offense takes a huge step forward we'll compete in 2015, especially with our current cap and draft situation.[/size]
Problem is how do you know the defense or defensive line will put up these numbers next year? The Rams are a prime example. The just started getting sacks a few games back. Every year takes on its on life. This team's defensive front is not guaranteed the same production next year. They may take a step back.
Quote:The defense is definitely better this year, you mentioned the defensive line but the linebackers are better as well, specifically in coverage, that (along with an incompetent pass rush) was the achilles heel for this defense last year. There's absolutely no way the 2013 defense would've held the high powered Colts offense to 23 points in that dome, that was one of the more impressive performances of any defense this year. I'm not declaring this unit the second coming of the 2000 Ravens, but it's clearly a unit that disrupts QB's with its pass rush and has the ability to shrink the field with the speed of its linebackers in coverage. There are some nice building blocks on the defensive side of the ball, there are impact players on the defensive line, and potential impact players at linebacker (Telvin Smith) and in the secondary (Demetrius McCray), there's no reason to think they won't continue to improve in 2015, especially considering our cap and draft position.

I do like T Smith, but which LBs are better?  Thomas gets run over by RBs and Hayes is average. 

My other concern is that when you say we "held" the Colts (or really any team) I think most teams don't game plan much at all for the Jags and basically coast to victory for the most part if we're being honest.

I, too, hope they improve but just trying to be level headed because the secondary is weak (potential is there though with Colvin and McCray) and the LBs altogether are very average at best.  The D Line is greatly improved but when 2/3 of the D is suspect it's a tough sell.
Quote:Problem is how do you know the defense or defensive line will put up these numbers next year. The Rams are a prime example. The just started getting sacks a few games back. Every year takes on its on life. This team's defensive front is not guaranteed the same production next year. They may take a step back.

I understand completely, disruption is production however, even though the Rams weren't getting sacks early in the season the presence of guys like Robert Quinn, Aaron Donald, Chris Long etc... alters an offenses game plan, they weren't getting sacks early on but were disrupting the offensive flow of the game, I think the Jaguars defensive line is good enough to be disruptive without getting sacks. With that said, I see this team adding another premier pass rusher in FA and potentially early in the draft, the 2015 defensive line without a doubt will be better (from a talent standpoint) than the 2014 line. The formula for winning in this league is simple, run the ball, stop the run, and disrupt the passer, if we can do that if 2015 we’ll have a chance to win a lot of games, if Blake Bortles takes a huge step forward on top of that look out.

Quote:I do like T Smith, but which LBs are better?  Thomas gets run over by RBs and Hayes is average. 

My other concern is that when you say we "held" the Colts (or really any team) I think most teams don't game plan much at all for the Jags and basically coast to victory for the most part if we're being honest.

I, too, hope they improve but just trying to be level headed because the secondary is weak (potential is there though with Colvin and McCray) and the LBs altogether are very average at best.  The D Line is greatly improved but when 2/3 of the D is suspect it's a tough sell.

JT Thomas is a better athlete and is much better in coverage than Paul Poz, Telvin Smith has been one of the best weak side linebackers in all of football since being inserted as a starter (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...vin-smith/), and there's not a drop off between Russell Allen and Geno Hayes. The 2014 linebacker core is better equipped (from an athleticism standpoint) to cover tight ends and middling slot receivers. You don't think team’s game plan against the Jaguars? This is the NFL, every team game plans no matter who the opponent is, that's an ignorant comment, you're better than that. There are definitely some holes in this defense, just like every other defense in the NFL, however there's no reason for me not to believe David Caldwell will address those aforementioned holes (FS etc...) in the 2015 offseason, we have valuable resources to do so.

Quote:My other concern is that when you say we "held" the Colts (or really any team) I think most teams don't game plan much at all for the Jags and basically coast to victory for the most part if we're being honest.

I really hope you weren't being serious with this.
Quote:JT Thomas is a better athlete and is much better in coverage than Paul Poz, Telvin Smith has been one of the best weak side linebackers in all of football since being inserted as a starter (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...vin-smith/), and there's not a drop off between Russell Allen and Geno Hayes. The 2014 linebacker core is better equipped (from an athleticism standpoint) to cover tight ends and middling slot receivers. You don't think team’s game plan against the Jaguars? This is the NFL, every team game plans no matter who the opponent is, that's an ignorant comment, you're better than that. There are definitely some holes in this defense, just like every other defense in the NFL, however there's no reason for me not to believe David Caldwell will address those aforementioned holes (FS etc...) in the 2015 offseason, we have valuable resources to do so.

A couple things...

I disagree that we are better equipped to cover TEs.  They ate our lunch early in the season.  Anyone who needed a fantasy TE just started whoever played the Jags.  Now, maybe the guys playing now are better at pass coverage so we'll se how they play the rest of the season and into next year.

As far as game planning.  I don't think it's an ignorant comment.  Yes, I'm sure some planning happens but teams don't game plan for us to the same level they would the Pats or Broncs.
Quote:I really hope you weren't being serious with this.

I was, how could you disagree?  In the majority of games this season, the game was virtually out of hand by halftime or in the 3rd quarter.

At Washington it was 21-7 at the half

Against the Colts 30-nil at the half

At San Diego 27-14 in the 3Q

Against Miami was 10-3 at the half and 24-6 in the 3Q

At Cinci was 19-9 in the 3Q

Against Dallas was 24-7 at the half

At Indy was 20-3 in the 3Q

2-10 isn't pretty...
That's funny. I thought I heard Billick say Gus is doing a great job.
Quote:That's funny. I thought I heard Billick say Gus is doing a great job.
That's why he's not a coach anymore.
Quote:I was, how could you disagree?  In the majority of games this season, the game was virtually out of hand by halftime or in the 3rd quarter.

At Washington it was 21-7 at the half

Against the Colts 30-nil at the half

At San Diego 27-14 in the 3Q

Against Miami was 10-3 at the half and 24-6 in the 3Q

At Cinci was 19-9 in the 3Q

Against Dallas was 24-7 at the half

At Indy was 20-3 in the 3Q

2-10 isn't pretty...
Where's the Giants halftime score?  BOOOOM!!! Great game, go Jags!
Quote:I keep saying it, this team isn't that far away from winning, whenever you can stop the run and rush the passer you have a chance to win each and every Sunday. If this offense takes a huge step forward we'll compete in 2015, especially with our current cap and draft situation.

The Defensive Line if they return next season the team is already at an advantage, and if Gus can coach up Aaron Colvin, McCray, and Gratz to play better at CB... along with SS Cyprien getting back to the way he played at the end of last season.. the Defense will really only need a great FS in the draft....

The Offense on the other hand is a mess.... I'm not sure if its lack of talent, poor coaching, or just Fisch's playbook...

but it has to be looked at with a microscope and resolved before next season.
Quote:The Offense on the other hand is a mess.... I'm not sure if its lack of talent, poor coaching, or just Fisch's playbook...

but it has to be looked at with a microscope and resolved before next season.
Or just put them through a much needed training camp and add a few more pieces.  The offense will be much improved next year, guaranteed.  Youngest in the NFL.

When you hear folks talk about lack of experience, it's not just chatter or another excuse, it's truth.  Most of the offense was playing college ball this time last year.

Pages: 1 2 3