Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blake Bortles Preseason Mechanics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Was just watching some film of Bortles during the preseason and my goodness has his mechanics have gotten significantly worse throughout the season. In preseason his footwork looked good, his shoulders were square and there was no big wind up before he threw. The ball had so much more zip.

I'm not sure why his mechanics have regressed so much, but I'm not too worried especially after rewatching his film. The competitor in him is still there and if he puts the work in this offseason, he may explode on to the scene next year.
Nerves
Amazing the amount of QB coaches we have acquired on these here boards in the past year or so.

Quote:Was just watching some film of Bortles during the preseason and my goodness has his mechanics have gotten significantly worse throughout the season. In preseason his footwork looked good, his shoulders were square and there was no big wind up before he threw. The ball had so much more zip.

I'm not sure why his mechanics have regressed so much,
but I'm not too worried especially after rewatching his film. The competitor in him is still there and if he puts the work in this offseason, he may explode on to the scene next year.
There's a big difference between focusing on your mechanics and growth in general as a QB on the bench vs. having to put that to the side and prepare for a weekly gameplan. Maybe Caldwell and Bradley actually knew what they were doing when they said Bortles wasn't ready and needed time to learn on the bench? He's a work in progress and that work has only been jump started by him playing so early this year. Hopefully with this gameday experience and a full offseason as a starter, he'll have time to iron out his flaws.
Quote:There's a big difference between focusing on your mechanics and growth in general as a QB on the bench vs. having to put that to the side and prepare for a weekly gameplan. Maybe Caldwell and Bradley actually knew what they were doing when they said Bortles wasn't ready and needed time to learn on the bench? He's a work in progress and that work has only been jump started by him playing so early this year. Hopefully with this gameday experience and a full offseason as a starter, he'll have time to iron out his flaws.

Yeah I agree. Major work in progress, but so many good things to build on and we've seen some great potential. I'm excited.
Quote:Amazing the amount of QB coaches we have acquired on these here boards in the past year or so.
Way to contribute big guy.

I'm trying to talk some football man what's wrong with that? I'm surrounded by Jets, Giants, and Eagles fans up here in the north and I want to talk Jaguar football!
Amazing what getting hammered every time you drop back will do to your foot work.

The coaching types have discussed this effect. When the adrenaline hits and the game gets intense, you rely on your instincts. One off season isn't enough time to make the good mechanics become muscle memory. The good news is BB seems to be a worker and not afraid of hard work.

Footwork!!!!
He throws like a girl, long, winding side arm.
Quote:He throws like a girl, long, winding side arm.
Hey, stop being a jerk by insulting someone who doesn't even play in the NFL anymore.

sign, 

Tim Tebow. 
I'm more concerned with the O-line at the moment...  It's rare to see a clean pocket for BB5, I think that causes alot of regression as alot of other members have been saying.  I also think some of the playcalling causes issues too, but I'm not going there this week.  

OK, maybe a little...  BB5 is most successfull when the offense is aggressive and doing multiple things to keep the defense off balance.  Unfortunately, we don't show an aggressive play calling philosophy very often--only when we're getting what appears to be blown out.  Maybe that changes now?  

Quote:There's a big difference between focusing on your mechanics and growth in general as a QB on the bench vs. having to put that to the side and prepare for a weekly gameplan. Maybe Caldwell and Bradley actually knew what they were doing when they said Bortles wasn't ready and needed time to learn on the bench? He's a work in progress and that work has only been jump started by him playing so early this year. Hopefully with this gameday experience and a full offseason as a starter, he'll have time to iron out his flaws.
I disagree that you benefit more from sitting on a bench than from actually playing the game.  He gets more time playing with the starters and coaches as being the starter which will speed up his growth as a QB than being on the bench, especially behind a QB that he was already better than...

Its one thing to be the backup for a future HOF like Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, etc its another to be behind Chad Henne whom couldnt even beat out Blaine Gabbert for a starting job...
I'm not a quarterback coach but I have been a military instructor. When under real stress, you tend to do what your instincts tell you to; this is the 'flight or fight' instinct. The only way to change a behavior when under stress is to practice the desired response to the point that it becomes the 'instinctual' response. Blake will have to spend more time, perhaps years, before the text book correct footwork and throwing motions become natural to him. 

Teams are blitzing a whole lot on him, they didn't in pre-season. A better o-line will prevent that.

Quote:Footwork!!!!
Fancy, foot work-work! F-f-fancy, foot work-work!

http://youtu.be/bVDk2x4cOHs
Quote:Way to contribute big guy.

I'm trying to talk some football man what's wrong with that? I'm surrounded by Jets, Giants, and Eagles fans up here in the north and I want to talk Jaguar football!

What do you expect when he has someone in his face after a 3 step drop? Once we have any resemblance of an O-line, I am sure the footwork will improve.
Quote:I disagree that you benefit more from sitting on a bench than from actually playing the game.  He gets more time playing with the starters and coaches as being the starter which will speed up his growth as a QB than being on the bench, especially behind a QB that he was already better than...

Its one thing to be the backup for a future HOF like Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, etc its another to be behind Chad Henne whom couldnt even beat out Blaine Gabbert for a starting job...

This is the good thing as well.  He will have a bunch of teachable film to review in the off season.  He will be able to look at his reaction to real life game situations and develop a plan to improve.  Riding the pine is all good and well but experience counts in the new NFL.

I don't like this offense one bit but it is really hard to judge when rookies are everywhere and the line play is porous.
Quote:Amazing what getting hammered every time you drop back will do to your foot work.
Shhhhh!!!!!     We might be getting Blackmon back.. please refrain from using the term "hammered"
Quote:Was just watching some film of Bortles during the preseason and my goodness has his mechanics have gotten significantly worse throughout the season. In preseason his footwork looked good, his shoulders were square and there was no big wind up before he threw. The ball had so much more zip.

I'm not sure why his mechanics have regressed so much, but I'm not too worried especially after rewatching his film. The competitor in him is still there and if he puts the work in this offseason, he may explode on to the scene next year.

Defenses weren't bringing the house every other snap in the preseason and he wasn't being hammered every other play.  That'll speed things up.  He was on the injury list this week too with an ankle and swollen shoulder.  I've seen a couple of rumors about him dealing with a shoulder issue since about week 7, can't confirm though.  He's getting beat up.

Pages: 1 2 3