Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Jags have a chance to play spoiler this year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With playing Houston twice and Baltimore once, I'm hoping the Jags can crush the playoff hopes of one of these two teams. 

There's very little room for error in the AFC, with there being several teams at 7-5 followed by 6-6 Houston.

Hopefully the Jags can crush whatever hope Houston has left, and maybe take Baltimore out along the way. 

In other words, this is the point in the season where we rattle off a few meaningless wins, screw ourselves on draft position, and get to listen to the coaching staff talk about the need to "build momentum" for next year.

Quote:In other words, this is the point in the season where we rattle off a few meaningless wins, screw ourselves on draft position, and get to listen to the coaching staff talk about the need to "build momentum" for next year.

Actually, winning a few games will help. It'll move the team into the back of the top 5, maybe 6 or 7. There they can target Amari Cooper and get away with it.

It'd be nice to knock off Houston after all the times they've done it to the Jags.
What's with the "lose draft position" fear this year? There's no consensus number one pick. As long as we are in the top 10 we'll get someone to make an immediate impact. I'd rather the young guys taste victory a few times.
Quote:What's with the "lose draft position" fear this year? There's no consensus number one pick. As long as we are in the top 10 we'll get someone to make an immediate impact. I'd rather the young guys taste victory a few times.

Oh that fear?  It rears its ugly head at the end of every non-playoff season.  I can't imagine anyone that was at the stadium on Sunday and caught up in the emotion toward the end of the game was sitting there hoping Scobee missed the game winning field goal because it was a "meaningless" win.  The draft will play itself out folks, don't worry about that.  As I've stated before as have many others.  I won't be upset by a loss, but I'm sure as hell not rooting for it.

We had our pick of the litter of QBs last year.  You guys that are worried about draft position so much shouldn't be.  It will take care of itself.
I hope the tinhorns make the playoffs. They aren't good and can only lean in Watt so much.
Quote:In other words, this is the point in the season where we rattle off a few meaningless wins, screw ourselves on draft position, and get to listen to the coaching staff talk about the need to "build momentum" for next year.
If we weren't talking about a team of mostly rookies I'd agree with you calling any late season wins for us 'meaningless'. I happen to be one in favor of tanking for a better draft (that is, when said draft is worth tanking for...). In our current situation though, I'm not so sure I'd write off any wins (a BIG if...) as being meaningless. You can't underestimate the value of the winning experience for rookies. As it happens, none of these games are 'gimmies' for this team, so the whole point may well be mute anyway....

Quote:In other words, this is the point in the season where we rattle off a few meaningless wins, screw ourselves on draft position, and get to listen to the coaching staff talk about the need to "build momentum" for next year

every post you make you whine and complain and are negative....why are you even on here?  you must be a [BAD WORD REMOVED] nightmare to know.

Ever seen the Debbie Downer skit on SNL?  Was that based off of you?

[Image: debbie_2Bdowner.jpg]

Quote:What's with the "lose draft position" fear this year? There's no consensus number one pick. As long as we are in the top 10 we'll get someone to make an immediate impact. I'd rather the young guys taste victory a few times.

No immediate impact. Caldwell only drafts busts.  ie Joeckel and Bortles.
Quote:Actually, winning a few games will help. It'll move the team into the back of the top 5, maybe 6 or 7. There they can target Amari Cooper and get away with it.

It'd be nice to knock off Houston after all the times they've done it to the Jags.

Or you get an earlier pick, like #1, and trade back for some additional picks which would be great for a rebuidling franchise.
I have to agree.  It's one thing if we only had Henne and Andrew Luck was declaring, but that's not the case at all.  I'd rather take the wins at this point since that should equal improvement and roll over into next year.  I don't see a huge talent difference from picks 1-5 to 6-10 either.
You take the wins which shows you're current 53 are improving, you know, the players you already have?  If what you have is winning, how is that a bad thing?  Some of you make no sense.  There will be very good players available when we draft, and Caldwell shows an ability to identify talent, unlike Gene.  Let's hope what we have already in place continues to grow and is the real deal, and get some wins!  What we have in place is way more important than draft position, why would you root against that, makes zero sense.

Quote:Or you get an earlier pick, like #1, and trade back for some additional picks which would be great for a rebuidling franchise.

Why would anyone want to trade up? There's no leverage in having the #1 pick this year because there's no blue chip prospect coming out.
Would love to see the Jags win a few and mess up other teams playoff chances, especially the Texans.  Forget tanking for draft spot.  I will take getting better over starting over any day of the week.  

Besides, there is no sure thing as a safe pick in the draft and since we have our QB there is no need to be picking in the first few spots when high ranked QBs are usually taken.

The guy making the pick is much more important than the pick itself.  You'll find boom and bust in all rounds.  Plus, the Jags track record of high picks is pretty lousy, the best talent seems to come from the 2nd round on.

Since we are having a discussion on worrying about meaningless things, why don't we worry about what we already have, and root for them to succeed rather then hope they fail so we can pick a few slots earlier.  Makes no sense at all.

That's always been the plan!
Quote:every post you make you whine and complain and are negative....why are you even on here?  you must be a [BAD WORD REMOVED] nightmare to know.
Actually, not every. Not really even close to every. There are certain things that I'm extremely pessimistic about, and this team picking up three wins at the end of the year that do nothing but take us further away from a spot where we could trade down is one of them.

As for why I'm here, I was ten years old when the Jaguars played their first game. My family couldn't afford season tickets, but I tended to find a way to go to games. I grew up with this team, and even though I've moved on both in life and in team allegiances, I'm still allowed to have good memories of the Jags' past and voice my dismay about their present and future.
Quote:Actually, not every. Not really even close to every. There are certain things that I'm extremely pessimistic about, and this team picking up three wins at the end of the year that do nothing but take us further away from a spot where we could trade down is one of them.

As for why I'm here, I was ten years old when the Jaguars played their first game. My family couldn't afford season tickets, but I tended to find a way to go to games. I grew up with this team, and even though I've moved on both in life and in team allegiances, I'm still allowed to have good memories of the Jags' past and voice my dismay about their present and future.
You realize that the #1 spot is not the only spot teams trade up to, right?  In fact, it's very rare.
Quote:You realize that the #1 spot is not the only spot teams trade up to, right?  In fact, it's very rare.
I had a really long post written up in reply to this, but it rambled, so I'll summarize:

1. The first overall pick belonged to the Raiders the second they built an offense around Matt Schaub and MJD. I never had any illusions about this, and it wasn't until we were dropping games like Ace Sanders drops punts that I began to shift to more of a "let's at least be on the board when the second-best QB is so we can trade back" mode.

2. We've all been watching this team do nothing but lose, with two exceptions, since 2000. I'm to the point where I'm good with anything that helps improve the team next year, including (for the first time ever) tanking for a better draft pick. I think better days are on the horizon, but I remain unconvinced that the current roster and head coach are the answer, and forgive me for having questions about the GM after seeing the results of his first draft and first real foray into free agency.

3. Did I mention that I think better days are on the horizon? I'm just not thrilled with the team's direction or running style to get there. If the leader has already lapped you, who cares if you peak on the final lap of a 1600m race?
I don't care that much about draft position honestly. We have our QB. We should have more than ample opportunity to get an outstanding player since we'll almost certainly be picking in the top 10 no matter what.

Pages: 1 2