Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Last Two Weeks: 9 sacks, 9 Forced Fumbles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Marks with another 2 sacks and is now tied for team lead with 7. Telvin Smith led our team in tackles for a second straight week. Gus is a savant on defense
Quote:Marks with another 2 sacks and is now tied for team lead with 7. Telvin Smith led our team in tackles for a second straight week. Gus is a savant on defense

This defense still doesn't come close to the JDR/Might getcha defense with Stroud and Henderson, but one thing it does better than that team is rush the passer and force fumbles.

I'm still inclined to have a defense heavy draft though, with the caveat I am now open to taking a LT with the first pick.
Quote:This defense still doesn't come close to the JDR/Might getcha defense with Stroud and Henderson, but one thing it does better than that team is rush the passer and force fumbles.

I'm still inclined to have a defense heavy draft though, with the caveat I am now open to taking a LT with the first pick.
Yeah, I'd probably go defense with our first pick, too, if my opinion counted for anything. I'm on the Gregory/Fowler train. But man, Joeckel was suppose to make this an easier decision
Joeckel makes Andrus Peat hard to pass up. Gotta protect the franchise qb
Quote:This defense still doesn't come close to the JDR/Might getcha defense with Stroud and Henderson, but one thing it does better than that team is rush the passer and force fumbles.

I disagree I think this DLine is the best Dline in Jags history..

but the DBs are horrible...

if this team had a great FS and if Aaron Colvin couldve started at the start of the season along with Telvin smith instead of waiting towards the end...

OMG it wouldve been different thats for sure..

They have to take a running back in there. Someone that can get you something on those short yardage downs.
Quote:Joeckel makes Andrus Peat hard to pass up. Gotta protect the franchise qb
I'd give Joeckel another year, a lot of young LT's struggle early. If he looks bad this time next year then I'd slide him over to RT and get a new LT.
Quote:I'd give Joeckel another year, a lot of young LT's struggle early. If he looks bad this time next year then I'd slide him over to RT and get a new LT.

I hope Joeckels struggles are due to not being able to get in the weight room and strengthen his lower body because of his broken ankle.
Quote:I disagree I think this DLine is the best Dline in Jags history..

but the DBs are horrible...

if this team had a great FS and if Aaron Colvin couldve started at the start of the season along with Telvin smith instead of waiting towards the end...

OMG it wouldve been different thats for sure..
We will have to disagree then. 

This team is still susceptible to the run.

At times yesterday, the Giants ran the ball at will.

There is NO WAY that happens against that JDR defensive line.
Quote:They have to take a running back in there. Someone that can get you something on those short yardage downs.
This is where Gerhart should excel, but there have been too many instances where he was stuffed for no gain when there was minimal yardage needed for a first down or TD.

I don't know if that it his failing or the OL's for not getting movement at the point of attack or allowing penetration, but I agree short yardage offense needs to improve. 

If somehow we traded down and accumulated picks, I might be open to taking a flier on Gurley later on.
Quote:We will have to disagree then. 

That defensive line was not JDR... he got that from TC...

I also think that, if Gus had that DL, there wouldn't be much running against it either... 
All we need is secondary help now. With a better secondary we can have more blitz packages to get to the QB or make him throw a bad pass.

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Bullseye" data-cid="379464" data-time="1417444487">
<div>
We will have to disagree then. 

That defensive line was not JDR... he got that from TC...

I also think that, if Gus had that DL, there wouldn't be much running against it either... 

</div>
</blockquote>

TC drafted Stroud and Henderson, but they developed and thrived under JDR.

TC had them playing two gap.  I remember JDR switched to a one gap approach, and Stroud applauded the move.

But I wasn't necessarily making a coaching argument between JDR and Gus.  I just think Stroud and Henderson-both as individual players and as a tandem-posed more match-up problems for opposing offenses than anyone on our current DL.  Those two were dominant.  Now, we have a bunch of good pass rushers, but no truly dominant guy.
Quote:TC drafted Stroud and Henderson, but they developed and thrived under JDR.

TC had them playing two gap.  I remember JDR switched to a one gap approach, and Stroud applauded the move.

But I wasn't necessarily making a coaching argument between JDR and Gus.  I just think Stroud and Henderson-both as individual players and as a tandem-posed more match-up problems for opposing offenses than anyone on our current DL.  Those two were dominant.  Now, we have a bunch of good pass rushers, but no truly dominant guy.

I think Coughlin's defensive desires were the main problem the team had. It's why Eddie George never seemed to run for less than 5 yards at a time against the Jags.

Two-gapping only makes sense for 3-4 with 3 run stuffers on the line.

If you want to play 4-3 you need to be playing a single gap penetration scheme.
How do we know it's not Babich?  Just asking.

Beasting and Feasting
If we get 5 sacks next week we will equal the total sacks for the 2009 season in just 3 weeks.

Giants ran 35 times at 3.3 yards a pop. And it didn't differ much throughout the game. They were perceived as "running at will" on the Jags in the 1st half because they were converting 3rd downs. And there were a LOT of chances to get them off the field on 3rd downs in that half.

I think this D-Line is equal to the Stroud Henderson years. Not quite as good against the run, but a little better against the pass. Either way a top unit in the NFL.

Quote:Giants ran 35 times at 3.3 yards a pop. And it didn't differ much throughout the game. They were perceived as "running at will" on the Jags in the 1st half because they were converting 3rd downs. And there were a LOT of chances to get them off the field on 3rd downs in that half.

I think this D-Line is equal to the Stroud Henderson years. Not quite as good against the run, but a little better against the pass. Either way a top unit in the NFL.

The big difference between the first and second half in the running game was that the Giants were breaking a lot of front line tackles and making the Jaguars defense look soft.

In the second half they still had a few decent runs, but for the most part, the defense kept things within a few yards of the line of scrimmage on most carries.
Quote:The big difference between the first and second half in the running game was that the Giants were breaking a lot of front line tackles and making the Jaguars defense look soft.

In the second half they still had a few decent runs, but for the most part, the defense kept things within a few yards of the line of scrimmage on most carries.
 read:  Jennings got hurt
Pages: 1 2 3 4