Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Why are fish kept on ice vs fridge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Random question. At any seafood joint or seafood section at grocery store, the seafood is always on ice.

Is there a purpose for that vs just keeping them refrigerated?

It's more visually appealing, so is that the only reason?
I started a reddit thread for you https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfi..._put_in_a/

Ice is cheap, and fish are fine with the concept of getting their outsides wet. You can't sell steaks on ice, because the outside of a steak is the insides of a cow and it's not supposed to get soaked in water. Fish live in water, so they are pre-made with water-friendly outsides. Refrigerators need doors, or lots of cooling (think the dairy case). Fish can be colder sitting on a nice bed of ice, so they last better.

from reddit so far

My guess would be that fish is kept on ice because it quickly cools the fish, then keeps it cool. Ice doesn't warm up slightly when you put something on it...it just melts some. If you put something room temperature in a refrigerator, it slightly warms the fridge up before it cools back down, and could potentially cause bacteria to grow and the fish to start to spoil.
I think you are correct.  Unless you're buying directly from whoever caught it the smartest thing is to buy it frozen (in theory).  Most of the time the fish is just thawed out from frozen anyway for presentation.  Sushi is "sushi grade" because of how it is frozen.  But people like to live in the illusion that they are buying directly from the fisherman so everything is thawed out and put on ice even though that decreases shelf life.  But at the same time the customer can at least make some judgment on how fresh the fish is with it thawed instead of frozen.  

I think the answer is probably it's more appealing to present the fish on ice than with refrigeration or in a freezer.   

#randomquestions

I love the internet.

Quote:Random question. At any seafood joint or seafood section at grocery store, the seafood is always on ice.

Is there a purpose for that vs just keeping them refrigerated?

It's more visually appealing, so is that the only reason?

I think it's because fish are generally claustrophobic but I could be wrong.
My guess is that they would probably suffocate in the fridge.

The ice keeps them stunned so they don't swim away.

We're talking dead fish, right? This is weird. :unsure:

Quote:We're talking dead fish, right? This is weird. :unsure:

Next...Gods response after the first woman swam in the ocean.
Fish lasts longer at temps of around 32 deg. vs the refrigerator which most zones hover around 40 deg. Also the smell of seafood permeates anything that houses it.

Quote:Next...Gods response after the first woman swam in the ocean.
Are you being mean to me?  :verymad:
Everybody knows that fish get scared when the refrigerator light goes out.

Quote:Everybody knows that fish get scared when the refrigerator light goes out.
Plus they always eat the bologna. :pinch:
Quote:Are you being mean to me? :verymad:

No. Never. Just an old sick joke I'm sure you've heard. Smile
Fish tend to get CHUMmy in the Fridge

And Yummy in the skillet.

That's why they like ice so much. The dream of dying and hanging out in a cooler forever.

I have some nice shrimp in the fridge right now...they seem fine.
Pages: 1 2