Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles hold the ball too long
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There, I said it.

I know BB is a gifted escape artist, and that an important part of his appeal is the vaunted ability to extend the play. But having the above-all important 'internal clock' trumps these abilities. Every good QB must recognize they have to get rid of the ball in a timely fashion. Especially when the O-line is prone to letting players come free. Too often BB's feet are planted, and motionless, when the ball shoild be on its way somewhere.

I have been watching football long enough (far longer than he has been on the planet) that when I find myself yelling "THROW IT!!!", 5 times in a game there's an issue.

We need more timing type passing plays, where he 3 step drops then chucks it.

I didn't read thru the thread about our O being too complex, but I'd echo that sentiment to a degree.

For my money, I'd like to see them let BB run the 2-minute offense almost exclusively for awhile, or at least until we can get out in front of a game. It's a great skill of his, we should develop it.

Sorry about the missing 's' in the thread title..
... not this again ...

:pirate: 

Sorry if it has been posted, I missed it, but it is important enough to be restated...again and again...until it is corrected.
I don't think he reads the forums so it doesn't need stating 3000 times. Smile

It's because we need Amari Cooper.
Quote:Sorry if it has been posted, I missed it, but it is important enough to be restated...again and again...until it is corrected.

It's a good thing Blake read these message boards. How would he know what to correct unless you were there to restate them?
Wait.  Blake holds on to the ball too long?  Has anyone let the coaches and Blake know?

Is there a way the interweb gods can create an app that activates any time TrueFan says "THROW IT" that it forces Blake to throw the ball even if the receivers aren't anywhere close to open?  As long as he's getting the ball out quickly, that's really all that matters, right?

Just like Big Ben does. It's ok, it's not a bad thing imo

Big Ben holds the ball to long as well. How is that working out for him?

3000 times? Good, I hope he and Fisch get the message. Nothing will ruin a rook faster. AND...it's all too common in a Jag jersey. I've been puking on it for at least 10 years. Leftwich, Gabby, and Garrard all had bad clocks.. we don't need another one.
Quote:Big Ben holds the ball to long as well. How is that working out for him?

Later...later. Right now he needs to learn to get rid of it.
As long as he can keep moving around in the pocket - or escaping out of it as well as he has it's not a major issue. There have certainly been plays when he should have thrown it quicker and he took a sack because of it, but I haven't seen so many that it's a major concern to me at this point. 

With McClendon back in the game this week -  it might become an issue.  :confused:

Actually, he's thrown the ball at times when he should have just held it and taken the sack.   It's hard to get velocity or accuracy on the throw when you're being propelled backwards by a 300 pound defensive lineman.  

Quote:As long as he can keep moving around in the pocket - or escaping out of it as well as he has it's not a major issue. There have certainly been plays when he should have thrown it quicker and he took a sack because of it, but I haven't seen so many that it's a major concern to me at this point. 

With McClendon back in the game this week -  it might become an issue.  :confused:

I agree with this.

My concern is them trying to 'develop' too many things at once. He can't be playing 'chessmaster' back there before he has found a natural feel for the speed of the game (which he hasn't). The sickening picks prove that. That's why I'd like to see alot more of the 2-minute offense. He's great at that, it's a crucial skill for a real contending team, AND his clock will improve as well as his escape skills all at the same time. Start the games with that, and see if we can get a lead. It is the thing that is working best. Then work on a sustained type drive down the field.

I agree it's not a major issue, yet.. but it sure as heck shouldn't get any worse, or it will be.
Of the problems he has, I consider this a minor one.

Quote:Actually, he's thrown the ball at times when he should have just held it and taken the sack.   It's hard to get velocity or accuracy on the throw when you're being propelled backwards by a 300 pound defensive lineman.

Yeah. It's an irony to me because a few weeks ago the word was BB's arm-strength was way up there, but I have noticed too much variability there. Sometimes there just isn't enough mustard on the throws.

I've made it clear, I love Bortles, and I am 100% behind him. He has a lot to learn. The long ball needs a ton of work too.
Could it be that the wideouts haven't been getting open for him? We haven't had a receiver that could consistently get open for about 10 years now so your beef with the past qb's can be understood as well. 

Quote:Could it be that the wideouts haven't been getting open for him? We haven't had a receiver that could consistently get open for about 10 years now so your beef with the past qb's can be understood as well. 

This is the case in many cases, but its much harder to notice.  It's easier to blame it on the qb.  2 of our top 3 wideouts right now are rookies and we've seen many cases of wrong routes being run or just not enough separation.
Quote:Could it be that the wideouts haven't been getting open for him? We haven't had a receiver that could consistently get open for about 10 years now so your beef with the past qb's can be understood as well.
You are quite right, that is definitely an issue too. That's what I mean. We need plays like Peyton/Welker or Brady/#11. Bop bop bop - zing! Those are Superbowl bread and butter plays. Where are our play(s) like those?

On the long balls, we need to see if our receivers can make the play. Hurns can!

BB's deep throws have not looked great to me.
Quote:Could it be that the wideouts haven't been getting open for him?
Was gonna say this.
Pages: 1 2