Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blake Bortles stats compared to his fellow rookie qb counterparts of this years draft class.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://yesnetwork.stats.com/fb/playersta...31&team=30: Blake Bortles 

http://yesnetwork.stats.com/fb/playersta...64&team=13: Derek Carr

http://yesnetwork.stats.com/fb/playersta...60&team=16: Teddy Bridgewater

For the people on this message board who wants to call Blake a bust and feels like the sky is falling my advice to them is to calm down and let the process play out. He leads this rookie class in every statistical category except for td to int ratio and qb rating which may i add he's on the lesser talented team than the other rookie QB's respectfully. I guess some people on here have forgotten that unlike the other 2 rookie QB's he never had a QB coach before he was drafted by our NFL Football team. Bottom line is i ask all of you to please have patience with this kid because pretty soon we'll be rewarded eventually by his productivity in the near future.      

I totally agree!
Isn't it obvious the coaching staff was trying to force Blake to a single read and throw to start the game?  The scripted plays outside the runs DRob provided were odd.  Everyone wants to say BB is staring down the receivers, well yeah they are giving him one read on a 5 yard quick throw.

I think it will get worked out but this staff saw the picks sixes and has overreacted and paired down a pedestrian offense to the point of giving the advantage to the defense.  This is the concern with a defensive minded coach.  They want their QBs to play not to lose.

Of course the counterpoint is to look at what happened when Blake is pressing to close out the game.  I think when you have a more open playbook and mindset it will settle him down and improve the overall play. 

Do you really think we are less talented than the Vikings and Raiders?

I do think we were waaay to conservative the first half, and he still probably should have been picked 4 times.... but IMO they should just let him go.... dont get conservative, we gotta see what he is, see how he is going to respond, see if he learns.  Being over conservative just stalls the process IMO.

Lol except he doesn't lead almost every category. Got my hoped up
Quote:Do you really think we are less talented than the Vikings and Raiders?

I do think we were waaay to conservative the first half, and he still probably should have been picked 4 times.... but IMO they should just let him go.... dont get conservative, we gotta see what he is, see how he is going to respond, see if he learns.  Being over conservative just stalls the process IMO.

I don't think we're necessarily less talented, but I think we are playing a lot more rookies than they are.  With experience, our talented rookies will play a lot better, but for now, the inexperience shows on these constant boneheaded plays like Telvin Smith getting beaten for that punt block, or our rookie WRs going long stretches without getting open. 

As regards the game plan yesterday, I think it was wise to pare it down and go more conservative, because if Blake keeps throwing these interceptions, it will get into his head, and we don't want that.   I think it was worth while to try to reduce the pick-6s at all cost, just for the sake of his psyche.  I know a lot of people would say "Let Blake be Blake.  Throw it down the field!"  But if he has many more pick-6s, I think it will damage his development.  
Bortles seems to throw a lot of ducks out there, hopefully it will tighten up after an offseason of footwork training.  

Quote:Lol except he doesn't lead almost every category. Got my hoped up

Why do people lie? Derek Carr right now is very quietly whooping Bortles butt. This is our fan base. We lie about stuff to feel better about our selves. 

Yes they do because in minnesota they have 3 pro bowlers on the offensive line at left and right tackles in addition to center. Also they have greg jennings a former pro bowl wide receiver and a super talented receiver in Patterson.

In Oakland the talent level is almost similar but the difference is that we have alot of rookies and second year plays on the offensive side of the ball except for Zane beadles. In Oakland's case they have alot of experience on the offensive side of the ball especially on the offensive line and its shows base on the fact according to the stat link i gave everyone at the top of this thread he was sacked 8 time the whole year. My point is blake isn't playing with a full deck at his disposal in addition to the fact that he has to deal with alot of injuries on his side of the ball with Lee, Lewis, and Shorts respectfully.    

We're not less talented than those 2 teams I wouldn't think. Younger/ green? Yes. Not less talented. Yeah in the first half it seemed they were trying to over protect Bortles with all those short slants and screens and it doesn't help. The INT chances were still there as opposing defenses are setting up short in those cases not expecting Bortles to test them deep lately - which is why the deeper passes worked later in the game. Cinci was giving those opportunities up and daring Bortles to take those shots. Bortles is at his most dangerous as a vertical QB, yet at a lot of the times we run too much of a horizontal offense. I'd like to see us play more to Blakes' strengths and his huge arm. It's actually more of an issue when the short passes get picked off as opposed to the deeper ones. Deeper passes getting picked are more likely to just flip the field and are less problematic. Short passes that have gotten picked have either directly or indirectly resulted in scoring by the opponent. 
Quote:Why do people lie? Derek Carr right now is very quietly whooping Bortles butt. This is our fan base. We lie about stuff to feel better about our selves. 
He's whooping blake's butt base on what Troll? The stats don't lie and if you want to go to the eye test his team is 0-8 so he can't be whooping anything but his lady friend in bed after a hard days at work. 
Quote:He's whooping blake's butt base on what Troll? The stats don't lie and if you want to go to the eye test his team is 0-8 so he can't be whooping anything but his lady friend in bed after a hard days at work.

Well Carr has an 11 TD, 7 Int ratio to Blake's 8/13, Carr has more yard, and a higher QB rating. I believe in Blake more, but like you said, stats don't lie
Quote:Why do people lie? Derek Carr right now is very quietly whooping Bortles butt. This is our fan base. We lie about stuff to feel better about our selves. 

I like Carr, he is no slouch, but am one who thinks Bortles should end up by a significant margin as the better and more dangerous QB. Carr seems like a high floor and lower ceiling type of QB. I would be surprised to see Carr as much better 3 years from now than the kind of numbers that he's producing now. It seems that the Raiders are doing a good job in playing to Carr's strengths, too. The Jags just need to utilize the vertical game more, which is Bortles strength. They can't fear INT's and try to protect those from happening with shorter passes. Blake seems more uncomfortable with those forced short and slant passes and to be honest, they aren't helping keep the INT chances down - I counted 3 or 4 yesterday in the 1st half that should have been picked. Blake is not a horizontal QB. 
Stats don't lie
Quote:Well Carr has an 11 TD, 7 Int ratio to Blake's 8/13, Carr has more yard, and a higher QB rating. I believe in Blake more, but like you said, stats don't lie

the OP already mentioned the int/td ratio.  which is also the reason for the QB rating.

carr has more yards, but also more games played. bortles yards per game is higher than carr's.
Quote:Well Carr has an 11 TD, 7 Int ratio to Blake's 8/13, Carr has more yard, and a higher QB rating. I believe in Blake more, but like you said, stats don't lie
Also played more games
Quote:the OP already mentioned the int/td ratio. which is also the reason for the QB rating.

carr has more yards, but also more games played. bortles yards per game is higher than carr's.

Haha I'm not making a case that he isn't the better QB going forward. But he's literally only leading two categories based off the stats he gave us lol. That's all I'm saying. Blake's my guy, I just thought it was funny that he said he's leading all categories for rookies. Put a asterisk by the stats if you want to, I'm just having fun by saying it got my hopes up
Quote:the OP already mentioned the int/td ratio.  which is also the reason for the QB rating.

Quote:Also played more games
Thank you both because someone besides myself is speaking in common sense on this subject. 
Quote:Thank you both because someone besides myself is speaking in common sense on this subject.
I can't believe this is happening. The value of 11 TDs is higher than the value of 8 TDs. The fact that Carr has 1700+ yards and Blake has less than that. You pointed out TD ratio, not total TDs which is a separate stat (1:1, 3:2, etc). The QB rating is lower than both the other QBs, that should translate no matter how many games. I just pointed out that he didn't lead all categories. He leads two. What is going on here? I'm so confused. Taking shots at my "common sense" c'mon, man. I'm not wrong here
Quote:He's whooping blake's butt base on what Troll? The stats don't lie and if you want to go to the eye test his team is 0-8 so he can't be whooping anything but his lady friend in bed after a hard days at work. 

Based the stats you imbecile. The OP basically said look at these stats and proclaimed that Borltes is leading all of them. Which is a blatant lie. 
Pages: 1 2