Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cyprien is a liability
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Jonathan Cyprien has been lackluster this year.

I have higher expectations for the 33rd overall pick of the 2013 draft than what we've been getting.

He missed two big assignments on the two long Jeremy Hill runs today.

He doesn't make any big plays.  He sometimes doesn't even make a very basic play (which leads to the neckbreaking TD that put the game out of reach)... 

If he was a rookie playing like this, I'd be OK and patient and I would hope that he makes a huge jump in year 2.  It's already year 2..... and can we honestly say that he's gotten better?  It's frustrating because I can't honestly say that he has.

Now, before anyone comes and brings up how much better he is compared to Prosinski and Winston Guy - yes I agree he's better than the guys that have been cut.

Looking at it realistically, I think he is a very below average to average safety in this league. 

This regime made him their 1st defensive draft pick.  He is clearly not the difference maker they thought he would be.

I didn't realize it was time for our week "Cyprien Sucks" thread. The time change must've messed up my Vulcan Time Sense.

It's a message board. 

We just played a game.  My wife doesn't want to listen to me talking about Cyprien, so I came here.  Is there something wrong with that?

Quote:It's a message board. 

We just played a game.  My wife doesn't want to listen to me talking about Cyprien, so I came here.  Is there something wrong with that?

You could always bump last week's...  :teehee:

Honestly, I'm more worried about fixing the other safety spot, that's the guy who has to play solo center field in this defense and we don't really have the right guy to do that.

Cyprien has not made the second year "step forward" many of us anticipated. It's very disappointing. He hasn't been terrible, and I don't think he's a liability.  But he should be playing better.  Evans is a liability IMO. Cyprien just needs to step his game up and play with more discipline. I hope he can. I saw two over pursuits in the run game today.  

Maybe it is coaching?

It's what has me worried with this team.

This regime is banking on the young players to take steps forward.  The first 2 draft picks (luke and jonathan) are still question marks IMO. 

They haven't made that step forward.  Yes I know Luke is technically still a rookie, but the point remains.

They are once again counting on the rookies of this year to make a big jump next year.  Will they improve?  We can hope, but it's far from a certainty that they will.

Quote:Maybe it is coaching?
no no it cant be that

Gus is God
Cyp isn't the problem.... Evans is trash
Quote:no no it cant be that

Gus is God

Lets be real...we are drafting guys now that are hailed by the pundits and deserving of where we are drafting them. No more Alualu like picks for this franchise. Yet, they aren't living up to their draft expectations. One bust may be a coincidence, but when multiple guys who were high on other GM's boards aren't playing like they should be, a finger has to be pointed at coaching.

I don't think the staff is getting the maximum talent out of Dave's picks.

Let's cut him!
Quote:Let's cut him!

No, let's be real.  Every single post made here has been reasonable.  Nobody wants him cut.  He's good enough to play.... He's just not a difference maker that he was supposed to be.
Quote:No, let's be real.  Every single post made here has been reasonable.  Nobody wants him cut.  He's good enough to play.... He's just not a difference maker that he was supposed to be.
gotta love the guys who create strawmen like tkappa

I agree with the OP...CYP has to do better. You CANNOT let that 60 yard TD by Hill happen. He over ran the play.

Coaching is a big problem for me for a few reasons.

We see it used as a crutch time and time again that this team lacks experience, starting 6 or 7 rookies on offense, and things similar.

That's great if you have a good coaching staff that can develop those young players and maximize talent they have.

I'm not convinced, anymore, that we have that.  I originally thought Bradley was a coach that would get more out of his players but I'm not convinced of that any longer.  He makes poor choices in assistants and that's going to be the death of him here if he doesn't fix it.

I hope Shad sees what we see and goes out puts some fire under Caldwell.

I think we need some kind of leadership out there.  That includes the players as well as the coaching staff.  Hopefully Shad opens up the pockets and gets some legit coaches here that have a proven track record.

Hopefully we sign some veterans that you can "go to battle with" ... like Clemons and Bryant.  Get a couple of those guys on offense, maybe another 1-2 on defense, and keep drafting. 

Wow.... people like posting this trash are real people... wow.
LOL...  Sorry, but Cyp is not the issue.

In an attempt to try and be self aware, I know that I also lay blame on certain units of this team...

But really?  Cyprien?  One of the better players on this team is getting heat?

C'mon ya'll

Quote:I hope Shad sees what we see and goes out puts some fire under Caldwell.

I think we need some kind of leadership out there.  That includes the players as well as the coaching staff.  Hopefully Shad opens up the pockets and gets some legit coaches here that have a proven track record.

Hopefully we sign some veterans that you can "go to battle with" ... like Clemons and Bryant.  Get a couple of those guys on offense, maybe another 1-2 on defense, and keep drafting. 
You're joking about Caldwell right?

Hurns, Davis, Abry Jones are 3 UDFA's that are contributing hard to the team right now that he's picked up in the past year.

He's drafted guys like Smith & Smith who are contributing as rookies, Gratz who plays well, Cyprien who has had good games and for the most part is a good safety (despite what you think). He's drafted Allen Robinson who has been great, he got Dennard in the FIFTH ROUND and look at how well he is running. He drafted a legit starting center in the SIXTH round who is performing pretty well for a rookie. He drafted Linder who is grading as one of the best guards in the league.

The one guy who should not be on the hot seat is Dave Caldwell, he's doing a good job...
So out of 11 players on defense Cyp is the only one responsible for that 60 yd run
Pages: 1 2 3