Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Rand Paul only Republican to vote "No" to repeal Obamacare
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/democrats-to-force-tough-votes-in-obamacare-vote-a-rama/2017/01/11/99e3c854-d7fa-11e6-b8b2-cb5164beba6b_story.html?utm_term=.783e95bf2776'>https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/democrats-to-force-tough-votes-in-obamacare-vote-a-rama/2017/01/11/99e3c854-d7fa-11e6-b8b2-cb5164beba6b_story.html?utm_term=.783e95bf2776</a>

“As a physician, I cannot wait to repeal Obamacare and replace it with a health care system that relies on freedom to provide quality, comprehensive, and affordable care,” Paul said in a statement. “But putting nearly $10 trillion more in debt on the American people’s backs through a budget that never balances is not the way to get there. It is the exact opposite of the change Republicans promised, and I cannot support it, even as a placeholder.

“Kentucky sent me to the Senate to put an end to the out-of-control spending. Unfortunately, this new Congress has chosen to continue the status quo. Not only are we not cutting spending, but we are also proposing an increase at an exponential pace. There is no reason we cannot repeal Obamacare and pass a balanced budget at the same time.”

Read more here: <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article126091309.html#storylink=cpy'>http://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article126091309.html#storylink=cpy</a>

So out of all the Senate Republicans only one of them isn't a swamp monster. Interesting he's the only one that wants to fix government and not continue to try to break it.

I disagree with him on repealing Obamacare but at least he has formulated some semblance of a plan to replace it.
This is exactly why so many of us are Rand Paul fans around here.

It was mind boggling to me that Rand could never get more of a foothold in the primaries. He would have easily made the best president. 

Quote:It was mind boggling to me that Rand could never get more of a foothold in the primaries. He would have easily made the best president. 

I blame the media.  They did their best to make him sound crazy or to rob him from screen time.  the democrat emails showed they were afraid of him, thought it would be easier to take down Trump.  Thats fine we can repick him 4-8 years.
Not the first or last time a Paul stands alone against massive government expansion and spending. 

I'm glad Obamacare is going away but I am disappointed that this the the best the Republicans could muster on the budget. 

It is difficult to take them seriously when they criticize democrats for excessive spending when they do the same when they have control.

Repeal and replace? More like repeal and go [BLEEP] yourself.

There are a lot of people negatively impacted by this. Grateful to have coverage through my employer.
Should've been president. 

Quote:Should've been president.

No. But if we could swap him in for the current option I would in a heartbeat.
While I agree with Rand Paul, his vote is kind of contradictory to what he has been saying on radio and television the past week. He was shilling hard for the immediate repeal and replace on the same day on multiple networks.

Quote:Repeal and replace? More like repeal and go [BAD WORD REMOVED] yourself.

There are a lot of people negatively impacted by this. Grateful to have coverage through my employer.

There were a lot more people negatively impacted by the ACA. It was so unpopular that even ultra-liberal Massachusetts elected a Republican who ran entirely on opposing the ACA to fill Ted Kennedy's seat. That's the same Ted Kennedy who was reelected numerous times because the state was so far to the left that policy was more important than not electing a murderer.

Quote:Not the first or last time a Paul stands alone against massive government expansion and spending. 

I'm glad Obamacare is going away but I am disappointed that this the the best the Republicans could muster on the budget. 

It is difficult to take them seriously when they criticize democrats for excessive spending when they do the same when they have control.

^This

Quote:^This

Different sides of the vote buying coin.
He's not voting against the repeal he's voting against the continued spending in the bill.
ACA messed over the working poor and self employed the worst. When you're making 19,000 a year, what good is a healthcare plan with a 4,000 dollar deductible? That's not coverage at all. 

Bad coverage is still better than know coverage. Ask anyone with a pre existing condition.
No it isn't. Really, if you can't afford the deductible, all you are doing is paying the premiums every month for medical care you can't even access. You just end up in the Emergency room just like before. You're better off not even paying that premium if you can't even use it. At least with that money you could get some healthcare. I'm lucky to have an employer plan where I am now but if I was going to buy my insurance on the obamacare marketplace, id end up paying almost 500 a month, that isn't healthcare, that is a joke.

Instead of turning the entire healthcare system on its head to cover the uninsurable, all we needed was a smaller program to cover them. But this isn't about healthcare or covering people, it is about a government power grab. 

Can't afford the deductible > can't get the treatment you need because the doctor or hospital won't see you without coverage and you die.
Public and private hospitals alike are prohibited by law from denying a patient care in an <b>emergency</b>. The <b>Emergency</b> Medical and <b>Treatment</b> Labor Act (EMTLA) passed by Congress in 1986 explicitly forbids the denial of care to indigent or uninsured patients based on a lack of ability to pay.

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act

The ER is hardly ideal if the issue is some kind of chronic condition, but the Obamacare policy with the deductible isn't going to help with that at all either. For all the money that's been spent on this and the lack of actual healthcare being delivered, you would have been better off just setting up charity clinics for all the chronic stuff and having catastrophic plans for the uninsurable The way that they did this was kind of a pyramid scheme where they try to force the young and healthy into paying for those that are not. It did very little to confront rising costs for the healthcare so those people just took the penalty for not buying it.

I appreciate the notion of fiscal responsibility that Rand Paul is exhibiting. However, he does not make mention to what the cost of leaving a broken program in place is.

Yes, it sucks that it will cost the taxpayer mightily to do this. It will cost them much more if they do not IMHO.

Quote:I appreciate the notion of fiscal responsibility that Rand Paul is exhibiting. However, he does not make mention to what the cost of leaving a broken program in place is.

Yes, it sucks that it will cost the taxpayer mightily to do this. It will cost them much more if they do not IMHO.

A repeal doesn't fix anything.
Pages: 1 2