Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Social Security
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

http://www.nationalfastforimmigrantjusti...urity.html

Frightening. Does anybody else think that SS will be exhausted? And if so, what are the contingencies?

Quote:http://www.nationalfastforimmigrantjustice.com/127/the-ba by-boomer-bubble-bursting-on-social-security.html

Frightening. Does anybody else think that SS will be exhausted? And if so, what are the contingencies?

The government will never have that problem because they can just print more money! The money won't be worth anything, but at least we can burn it to keep warm in the winter...

Quote:The government will never have that problem because they can just print more money! The money won't be worth anything, but at least we can burn it to keep warm in the winter...
Just like the Germans and their Reichsmarks during the 20's.
Quote:Just like the Germans and their Reichsmarks during the 20's.

I have 100 Trillion Dollar Zimbabwe note (USD $.29) that I bought on the speculation that some day their economy will deflate. I'm not counting on it to fund my retirement though!
I expect to never see a penny in return from social security.
Social Security is a great big ponzi scheme.  

My mother was one quarter short of getting social security.  She thought she had enough, and they actually paid her.  Until they realized they shouldn't, and made her pay every dime back.  Which wasn't easy for her because she went blind.  She asked the office about the money she paid in, and they said "Thanks," in a really nasty tune.  (She was supposed to get social security disability, but couldn't get that either)

Quote:Social Security is a great big ponzi scheme.  

My mother was one quarter short of getting social security.  She thought she had enough, and they actually paid her.  Until they realized they shouldn't, and made her pay every dime back.  Which wasn't easy for her because she went blind.  She asked the office about the money she paid in, and they said "Thanks," in a really nasty tune.  (She was supposed to get social security disability, but couldn't get that either)

Big government in action. We'll do what we want and you can't stop us.
I was waiting for this topic. 

As much as I don't want to believe myself, I think the US Government forces you to save money because most people are too stupid to do it by themselves. 

To me, they are basically stealing my money.  Then they are putting it in a savings fund that will perform far worse than any other rate of return I currently enjoy.  And that is assuming I will ever see mine back.

Quote:I expect to never see a penny in return from social security.

Likewise.
After

Quote:Social Security is a great big ponzi scheme.  

Did your mother appeal? If it was not her fault, and she did not have the money, they will waive the repayment requirement.

The disability determination is a joke benefiting lawyers. Except for a few medical conditions, they will deny an application almost every time. Then one must hire an attorney, who will usually accept a valid case, and take a certain percentage of the accrued back pay as their fee. This is why you see so many law firms dedicated to this practice. They know how to get their clients benefits, and can accurately predict their fee. Anyone hiring them take the deal as something is better than nothing.

Quote:I expect to never see a penny in return from social security.

Oh, come on. You know as well as I do that there will never be a lack of funds for Social Security. Modifications, certainly, but you'll get your money (much more than you actually paid in probably).

It has become the Holy of Holies and the politicians will always find a way.

Seniors vote in greater numbers than any other group (as percent of population) and it wouldbe political suicide for a politician to say he even thought about doing anything regarding SS.

I've always favored the idea of making part of SS accounts into 401(k)s, but you see how quickly any such talk gets shot down.
Quote:After

Did your mother appeal? If it was not her fault, and she did not have the money, they will waive the repayment requirement.

The disability determination is a joke benefiting lawyers. Except for a few medical conditions, they will deny an application almost every time. Then one must hire an attorney, who will usually accept a valid case, and take a certain percentage of the accrued back pay as their fee. This is why you see so many law firms dedicated to this practice. They know how to get their clients benefits, and can accurately predict their fee. Anyone hiring them take the deal as something is better than nothing.

You want disability payments to be easier to get? Do you not see all the reports of the tremendous number of scams regarding SS disability, Unemployment Comp., etc?

That's why government can't win sometimes. It's either to easy - Scam!, or it's too hard - Heartless!
Quote:You want disability payments to be easier to get? Do you not see all the reports of the tremendous number of scams regarding SS disability, Unemployment Comp., etc?

That's why government can't win sometimes. It's either to easy - Scam!, or it's too hard - Heartless!

No, but I'd like to see more effort put into initial determinations, that's all. Now it's just like institutional laziness - deny everyone, hope the applicants just tuck their tails and go away. Currently the SSA has no incentive to improve that part of the process.
Probably needs some tweaking, but the Millenials will be able to pay for the boomers.

I full expect to get my pittance back from the government in 25 years while you youngsters complain about me stealing your tax dollars.

Quote:Oh, come on. You know as well as I do that there will never be a lack of funds for Social Security. Modifications, certainly, but you'll get your money (much more than you actually paid in probably).

It has become the Holy of Holies and the politicians will always find a way.

Seniors vote in greater numbers than any other group (as percent of population) and it wouldbe political suicide for a politician to say he even thought about doing anything regarding SS.

I've always favored the idea of making part of SS accounts into 401(k)s, but you see how quickly any such talk gets shot down.

I'm 29, by the time I'm even close to 65 one of two things will have happened. They'll have pushed back the benefit age to 75 or maybe 80 hoping people die first. Or they'll have scrapped the system. But I don't see ANY chance of the Social Security system I'm paying into being around in 35+ years. Hey If I get some of back great! but I'm not counting on it.
Quote:After

She couldn't appeal because she waited too long because she didn't even know she could appeal.  

Oh, and of course she only applied for Social Security because when she had to retire due to blindness, OPM (Office of Personnel Management for the Federal Government) told her she should.  (She worked for the Federal Government, Department of Transportation for... I really don't know how long.  I think it was almost 30 years)

Quote:I'm 29, by the time I'm even close to 65 one of two things will have happened. They'll have pushed back the benefit age to 75 or maybe 80 hoping people die first. Or they'll have scrapped the system. But I don't see ANY chance of the Social Security system I'm paying into being around in 35+ years. Hey If I get some of back great! but I'm not counting on it.
Social Security will still be around.  You probably will be like most people, and not have paid enough in, or not qualify for some other reason.  I'm certainly not counting on social security, and would prefer to be able to opt out of it.  I save my money much better than the government does.  I could put it toward my kids college tuition, so they won't owe money for half their lives.

Quote:She couldn't appeal because she waited too long because she didn't even know she could appeal.  

Oh, and of course she only applied for Social Security because when she had to retire due to blindness, OPM (Office of Personnel Management for the Federal Government) told her she should.  (She worked for the Federal Government, Department of Transportation for... I really don't know how long.  I think it was almost 30 years)

I'm confused. How did she not have enough paid into the fund if she's been working 30 years? Did she not earn enough in the 10 years before her retirement?
Quote:I'm confused. How did she not have enough paid into the fund if she's been working 30 years? Did she not earn enough in the 10 years before her retirement?

They didn't count some of the time she worked with the Federal Government.  It was very confusing. 
Quote:They didn't count some of the time she worked with the Federal Government.  It was very confusing. 

Wow, that really sucks. Does she at least have enough paid in to receive regular benefits when she reaches retirement age?
Quote:They didn't count some of the time she worked with the Federal Government.  It was very confusing. 

I know that some government workers do not pay into the social security system.   They pay into a different system.  Maybe that's what happened to her.  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7