Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Zach Mettenberger to start Sunday?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:According to Jim Wyatt of the Nashville Tennessean, the Titans are “plan” to go with rookie Zach Mettenberger as their starter in Sunday’s game against Houston.

Fourth-year pro Jake Locker, who has missed the last two games with a right hand injury, went through a limited practice on Wednesday. Charlie Whitehurst, not Mettenberger, has filled in for Tennessee (2-5) in Locker’s absence.

The Titans did not make Locker available to the media on Wednesday, which added an air of mystery to how the club might proceed at quarterback this week.

“I didn’t want to come up and do the same thing every day, so I figured we’d have a little more clarity tomorrow after him practicing today, so that’s why,” Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt said Wednesday, according to the club.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-titans-tabbing-zach-mettenberger-their-starter'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-titans-tabbing-zach-mettenberger-their-starter</a>
If it's true, all I can say is that it took them long enough. I know Whitehurst didn't have enough starts under his belt to be considered a known commodity, but the really need to see what they have in Mettenberger. Clearly Locker's biggest weakness right now is availability, having missed significant time in each season he was projected starter. That is not a formula for a successful career, unless your name is Steve Young.

Funny though... he received comparisons to Young when he was scouted coming out.

Unreal that it took this long for them to realize that Locker was not the answer. This is truly a division in massive transition. 

It's official: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-on-sunday

Quote:The Titans don't know if Jake Locker's thumb will fully be healthy, and they don't see Whitehurst as a long-term solution, Rapoport reports. The Titans declined Locker's fifth-year option and he's set to be a free agent following this season. The team wants to see how good Mettenberger is in order to know whether to draft a quarterback in the first round next year. The Titans believe they'll get more big plays with Mettenberger, and live with the mistakes.
Tennessee needs to find out what they have on their roster at QB before the season is over.   In a division with Andrew Luck and Blake Bortles,  there's plenty to be concerned about in Nashville in part due to their own current QB situation.

Good move by Titans.  Plus I'll take Locker next season to replace Henne if possible.

I wonder if Whisenhunt could be one and done. The entire franchise needs a reboot similar to what we had last season.

Quote:I wonder if Whisenhunt could be one and done. The entire franchise needs a reboot similar to what we had last season.

I'm shocked at how bad he has been so far. But its still early in his tenure.
Grasping for straws. I think Jags finish above them by end of season.
Quote:Grasping for straws. I think Jags finish above them by end of season.

Agree. Two teams headed in opposite directions.
well they did beat us with Charlie Whitehurst

Quote:well they did beat us with Charlie Whitehurst

Darn game cost me a firehouse sub.
I'm surprised that there was ever any discussion in the Titans facility of Clipboard Jesus being a long-term option. The blurb certainly implies that that was a consideration.

I'd be interested to know a Titans fans perspective on Wisenhunt...

On the outside, he certainly seems to have made some puzzling moves/comments this year.

Well he better speed up his slow release otherwise JJ Watt is going to have a career day going against that statue.
Quote:I'd be interested to know a Titans fans perspective on Wisenhunt...

On the outside, he certainly seems to have made some puzzling moves/comments this year.

I'm not sure what the Tennessee fan base thinks of Ken Whisenhunt.   But it's evident that former Cardinals QB Matt Leinart remains a major critic ( that's an understatement ) of Whisenhunt:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/li.../17779561/

Quote:Well they did beat us with Charlie Whitehurst

Charlie Whitehurst was not the guy who blocked Josh Scobee's field goal attempt.
Quote:Charlie Whitehurst was not the guy who blocked Josh Scobee's field goal attempt.

Are you sure? I could have swore that was him.
Quote:Grasping for straws. I think Jags finish above them by end of season.

What would be said about the Jaguars if we were 2-5 at this point of the season and Henne had been playing the whole time?  In my mind, Whitehurst is Henne 2.0.
Quote:What would be said about the Jaguars if we were 2-5 at this point of the season and Henne had been playing the whole time?  In my mind, Whitehurst is Henne 2.0.

Not only would Henne have not won any games in 2014, but he would have somehow erased wins from previous seasons.
Pages: 1 2