Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Hmm. O-line might be more stable than we thought.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Our line is consisted of 2 rookies, 2 second year players and a veteran. All of which are improving at a sharp/noticeable rate. I still don't subscribe to the zone blocking scheme but the players are getting better with it.

Thinking ahead to 2015, If this unit gets better, All of a sudden I think we can rule out getting an O-linemen in the first round. Turn our attention toward maybe TE, FS, LB, or less likely HB. I think Bortles needs some veteran's around him and I think we can get a good TE in F/A. With all this said however, I think our depth at the position is questionable and as such more late round rookies/value FA's are needed.

Fun fact: Our starting center came from the pick Caldwell got from Gabbert to 49ers.
Sam Young has been a fairly solid backup T too. Still need interior depth. Anything seen or heard about with Shatley or Walls that shows they can be good depth?
Joekel is basically rookie also.

He has improved a lot
I was just thinking about this last night. I think the line is going to be a strength in the near future. I would like to see us draft some late round guys to develop for depth. I remember when we had such a strong run game and it was because we had a stable of interior linemen to rotate and keep fresh.
They played better but they also played a bad DL with guys out with injuries.

Let's see if they can keep Cameron Wake under control, THAT will show me something.

I would like to see them use a late round pick or two on the OL to continue to build depth.  Use early picks on some core defensive players.  

Quote:Our line is consisted of 2 rookies, 2 second year players and a veteran. All of which are improving at a sharp/noticeable rate. I still don't subscribe to the zone blocking scheme but the players are getting better with it.

Thinking ahead to 2015, If this unit gets better, All of a sudden I think we can rule out getting an O-linemen in the first round. Turn our attention toward maybe TE, FS, LB, or less likely HB. I think Bortles needs some veteran's around him and I think we can get a good TE in F/A. With all this said however, I think our depth at the position is questionable and as such more late round rookies/value FA's are needed.

Fun fact: Our starting center came from the pick Caldwell got from Gabbert to 49ers.

All they really needed was playing time together, which they missed due to "tryouts" at C, and the now starting Ts being limited earlier in the preseason and early season because of injury/rehab/etc.

They are young and I still expect mistakes week to week, but also I expect them to continue to improve overall.
Dion Jordan has been nothing for them (Dolphins) ....a huge disappointment....

That better stay that way this week.

The line is finally gelling and the rookies are not looking so lost out there.  Still some whiffs, missed assignments and moments of schooling going on, but things are looking much better. 

In terms of drafting the first round, I have to think defense will take precedent but I imagine an O-lineman could be taken by the 5th round.  Depth is sorely needed at guard/center.   

I'll eat my shoe if Caldwell takes a RB in the first round.  (unless it's a trade back to late in the round) I think FS, LB or LEO are most likely in the first. 

Quote: 

I'll eat my shoe if Caldwell takes a RB in the first round.  (unless it's a trade back to late in the round) I think FS, LB or LEO are most likely in the first. 

I'll be very disappointed with a RB in the first round - especially if its Gurley early. 

If they trade back, acquire picks and then take someone like Melvin Gordon, then I won't be that upset. But Gurley early without any trade down would be really dumb, considering the other area we still need to address. 
I haven't got to see any of your games. That being said, Jacksonville has given up a league leading 29 sacks. Also telling is the 3rd worst 86 yards per game rushing. Has it been prior to the last 2 weeks that makes up the majority of those numbers? On paper, that is just terrible O-line play. Horrible.

Quote:The line is finally gelling and the rookies are not looking so lost out there.  Still some whiffs, missed assignments and moments of schooling going on, but things are looking much better. 

In terms of drafting the first round, I have to think defense will take precedent but I imagine an O-lineman could be taken by the 5th round.  Depth is sorely needed at guard/center.   

I wouldn't worry about RB in the first.

It would be near miracle if it isn't a stud pass rusher.
this week will be a better litmus test than the banged up Browns

Good test for the youngsters this weekend.  I'll proabably not be able to watch for the 2nd straight weekend, I can't remember the last time that's happened!

Quote:I haven't got to see any of your games. That being said, Jacksonville has given up a league leading 29 sacks. Also telling is the 3rd worst 86 yards per game rushing. Has it been prior to the last 2 weeks that makes up the majority of those numbers? On paper, that is just terrible O-line play. Horrible.

Most of those sacks came in the 2.5 games Henne played (16,) and not the 4.5 games since (only 13.)

Three fewer sacks in two more games.
Quote:I haven't got to see any of your games. That being said, Jacksonville has given up a league leading 29 sacks. Also telling is the 3rd worst 86 yards per game rushing. Has it been prior to the last 2 weeks that makes up the majority of those numbers? On paper, that is just terrible O-line play. Horrible.

2 rookies, a 2nd year guy playing his first full year, a 2nd year guy at RT that was injured and a new LG.  They're settling in...but we'll see how well they do near the end of the season.
Quote:Most of those sacks came in the 2.5 games Henne played (16,) and not the 4.5 games since (only 13.)

Three fewer sacks in two more games.
Holy smokes. Henne got hammered. The 4 games since is respectable. I see. Has the rushing output improved also? I'm going to go back and watch your Cleveland game.
Quote:Holy smokes. Henne got hammered. The 4 games since is respectable. I see. Has the rushing output improved also? I'm going to go back and watch your Cleveland game.

The run game finally did well against Cleveland (183?).  We'll see if it was a fluke or not next Sunday.

Henne probably didn't help the stats. He sure didn't when he was with Miami. Guy was a statue.

I know I'll get hammered for this, but I don't see LT as being settled yet. Understand this is basically his rookie year, but going back and watching the last few games, Luke is playing horrible! He is so unsure of his ability to block one on one that he has resorted to falling to blocking at the knees of defenders in pass pro. I can't count how often he has been beat across his face (front) He is playing so weak and unbalanced you would think he's hiding an injury. His run blocking isn't much better as he typically whiffs or runs by his assignment. It would be interesting to see play success left versus right.
Pages: 1 2