Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Anyone know how McCray and Evans are doing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
He's still starting right? Our secondary is no longer giving up huge plays every other drive so are these two the difference right now?

Evans looks pretty good to me.  He can hit, and is a good tackler. 

evans had a pretty big whiff on that long pass. i think it was hawkins. i recall mccray getting one ball caught on him, but it was a perfect timing, back shoulder throw. i noticed we played a lot more man coverage yesterday. probably has something to do with the poverty receivers the browns have, but it worked well.

Mccray looked better but still too many easy slants and hitches at the sticks given up by the secondary as a whole.

Numerous times we got lucky as Hoyer missed some really open throws a few with little to no pressure. The pressure of the DLine was the game winner here as they had Hoyer feeling ghosts.
From what I saw, everyone in the secondary played pretty well. Evans had probably the weakest game, but overall, he still played ok.

Gratz seemed to play pretty well
Quote:He's still starting right? Our secondary is no longer giving up huge plays every other drive so are these two the difference right now?
Evans whiffed allowing that huge pass play against the Browns.  He has his ups and downs but he is below average FS compared to the rest of the league.  McCray i feel is playing better than Ball in some ways, but can he keep it up?
Quote:From what I saw, everyone in the secondary played pretty well. Evans had probably the weakest game, but overall, he still played ok.

Gratz seemed to play pretty well

Id nominate Ball as the weak link he was targeted on crossing and slants all day. They knew he couldnt keep up with Hawkins and even Miles Austin beat him.

Evans looked meh he likes to stand in no mans land and do nothing when playing the inbox safety but he can hit when the ball comes near him.
I think A. Ball is better than Josh Evans but both havent played well this year and would be backups if not cut on most NFL teams.  The problem is the Jaguars have no depth at DBs.

Quote:I think A. Ball is better than Josh Evans but both havent played well this year and would be backups if not cut on most NFL teams.  The problem is the Jaguars have no depth at DBs.

Ball hasn't played well?
Quote:I think A. Ball is better than Josh Evans but both havent played well this year and would be backups if not cut on most NFL teams.  The problem is the Jaguars have no depth at DBs.

ball was playing safety?
Quote:Ball hasn't played well?

If judging by the last 2 games then no not at all.
Quote:If judging by the last 2 games then no not at all.

Maybe you have him confused with Will Blackmon
No neither has played well. Charlie Whitehurst set a career high on us and Keenan Allen destroyed both Ball Blackmon in the San Diego game. Big Ben picked on the CBs on the edges too.

Other than Cyprien no one in our secondary has played good.
Both Evans and McCray had a really good game.  Evans having a good game was one of the reasons Cyprien was able to cover their TE a lot of the time.  

The Dline dominated too so that helped a lot.  But if Evans can continue to get better, then I don't see a reason why we can't run the Cover 3 when we have better linebackers.  Telvin showed a lot of maturity in that aspect.

Quote:No neither has played well. Charlie Whitehurst set a career high on us and Keenan Allen destroyed both Ball Blackmon in the San Diego game. Big Ben picked on the CBs on the edges too.

Just because Whitehurst set a career high for yards doesn't mean Ball didn't played well.

You don't sound like you know what you are talking about.
Mccray has been a godsend to this point, he might be a good starter for us, great 7th rd pick
not a fan of Evans

Looked like they let the corners man-up a bit more yesterday.  I'm curious if they tweaked the scheme a little bit.  

In recent weeks we'd see the corners sticking receivers to 15 yards from the L.O.S. then letting the safeties pick them up.  I noticed corners staying with their man more yesterday.  (Gratz is obviously better suited to this)   I'll try to get a better idea when I re-watch it. 

McCray was solid for the most part.  Put a nice shoulder into Hoyer as he scrambled for the sideline once. Good to see.  

Alan Ball didn't have his best game, but he was fine.  He's actually been our most consistent corner and played very well at times earlier in the season despite those around him struggling. 

Blackmon even stepped up on a number of plays - but got off easy from a couple of bad Hoyer passes when he was a step behind his man. 

The secondary was aided by drops and bad throws from Cleveland.  Still - they played better than recent weeks and held up their end while the front 7 played one hell of a game. 

It looks like they rotated McCray and Gratz yesterday with McCray getting roughly 2/3 of the snaps. I thought they both played pretty well but they play different styles IMO.
Quote:No neither has played well. Charlie Whitehurst set a career high on us and Keenan Allen destroyed both Ball Blackmon in the San Diego game. Big Ben picked on the CBs on the edges too.

How many TDs have we given up through the air in the last 3 weeks?

This is another example of us fans thinking that every play someone gives up means they are terrible, and that there is some team in the league that's corners or safety's don't give up completions or make every play.
Pages: 1 2