Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: success plan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'll start this off by saying I'm not a General Manager (although I have probably 100 years experience on madden)

While watching our beloved Jags struggle, I can't help but to think that the issue with our struggles is inexperience. It's a cancer that roots in the coaching staff and all through the roster.

If I was given the keys to the franchise the first thing I would do would be to fire the DC. I would then target someone with some HC experience to mentor Gus. Show him what works and what doesnt. The time management issues and the ridiculous challenges would be an issue of the past with a little help. I would then keep the OC for continuity for the offense for Blake's development but I would strip the zone blocking scheme and implant some veterans in key spots throughout the roster through free agency while still building the general roster through the draft.

These are an example of the guys I'd target. Any of them in any combo I believe would give an injection to this team.

Jason Worilds OLB

K.J. Wright OLB

Devin Mccourty S

Louis Delmas S

Walter Thurmond CB

Patrick Robinson CB

And for the offense I'd let Shorts walk and get Bortles a true weapon at WR and let our young guys develop.

Dez Bryant or Jeremy Maclin

And finally after ditching ZB scheme I'd add some experience to the Oline. I think any of these guys would help.

Mike Iupati G

Bryan Bulaga RT

James Carpenter G

Then in the draft I'd target in no specific order:

MLB, DE, CB, TE, HB, and Safety

What do you guys think? What would you change? Criticism keep it to yourself lol

Thanks for reading!
Quote:I'll start this off by saying I'm not a General Manager (although I have probably 100 years experience on madden)
And that's where I stopped reading.
It's called sarcasm my dense friend.

There are two fine examples in my post.

One being the madden dig which you tripped over and the second being the criticism bit at the end which you didn't read, but I imagine would have gone over your head anyways.
Bryan Bulaga RT - isn't he injured every year?

Quote:Bryan Bulaga RT - isn't he injured every year?

I'm not sure, I was just looking at the free agency list for for guys under 28 with 3-5 experience.
Quote:I'm not sure, I was just looking at the free agency list for for guys under 28 with 3-5 experience.

Paper Champions
So you'd hire a DC to mentor your HC? So the subordinate would be teaching his boss how to do the job? I'm sure that'll go over well.

Why wouldn't you just hire a new HC in your scenario?

Quote:Paper Champions

Lol well who would you target?
USCG -- You make some very valid points and propose a solution to the current issues.  That's more than what I can say about the anticipated posters that will be making sarcastic comments in attempt to pick apart your well thought out post.

I'm in agreement that we need a veteran playmaker at DB, Safety, and OLB to solidify the D.

Your OL options seem valid.  Perhaps draft the Oregon Center (or comparable C) at the top of the 3rd round.

Regarding WR, Dez is a stretch.  I think we go Amari Cooper and somehow figure out how to trade up our 1st pick in the 2nd round (plus something else) for Gurley if he slides a little as RBs usually do.
He never stated a DC to mentor the HC.  Many teams actually hire an Assistant Head Coach to assist in various portions of training camp, film study, and game management.

Quote:So you'd hire a DC to mentor your HC? So the subordinate would be teaching his boss how to do the job? I'm sure that'll go over well.

Why wouldn't you just hire a new HC in your scenario?

Because I think continuity is important when you have a bunch of young players. It's simple give Gus someone with experience to help him on the side of the ball that is struggling the most and if he doesn't improve, fire him and use the DC with HC experience as your interim and then let the search begin. What would your approach be? Would you gut the the entire coaching staff?
I do not think that the Cowboys will let Dez Bryant go at this point, and I feel that you over rate Maclin's abilities...

I think Robinson could turn into as good as a WR as both of them in a few years (its not Bryant & Maclin's rookie year but if you compare I think Robinson has better stats at this point in their rookie careers)...

They also didnt have a bad qb get benched at week 3 for a rookie QB behind the worst Oline in the NFL and with no real running backs to hand off to...

I really dont think WR is this team's problem (Vic Ketchman would say WRs are a dime a dozen).... which I wouldnt necessarily agree with but this team's glaring problem in regards to Offense is the Oline...

The defense is DBs which is why the team is the worst at stopping the pass.. the DLine is actually prettty good... they are up there in pass rush & stopping the run is average for the league...

Quote:USCG -- You make some very valid points and propose a solution to the current issues. That's more than what I can say about the anticipated posters that will be making sarcastic comments in attempt to pick apart your well thought out post.

I'm in agreement that we need a veteran playmaker at DB, Safety, and OLB to solidify the D.

Your OL options seem valid. Perhaps draft the Oregon Center (or comparable C) at the top of the 3rd round.

Regarding WR, Dez is a stretch. I think we go Amari Cooper and somehow figure out how to trade up our 1st pick in the 2nd round (plus something else) for Gurley if he slides a little as RBs usually do.

Thanks! I made my post knowing that there will be people picking it apart. I understand that, but what gets me is when people degrade your ideas, but offer no solution or input.

I'm not sold on Dez either, but he is very explosive at times. There are plenty of other WR that could come in and be the veteran of this very young but special WR corp.

I was using this link for free agents
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/'>http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/</a>

I would love it if your Gurley/Cooper draft happened. I also think that building depth through draft is still key, but we are definitely hurting for leadership and experience in the locker room. By being smart in supplementing through free agency, and another good draft this team can be very dangerous in the near future.
Draft:

Randy Gregory

Cody Prewitt

Mike Matthews

Sign

KJ Wright

CJ Spiller

Pray

Justin Blackmon comes back
Quote:Thanks! I made my post knowing that there will be people picking it apart. I understand that, but what gets me is when people degrade your ideas, but offer no solution or input.

I'm not sold on Dez either, but he is very explosive at times. There are plenty of other WR that could come in and be the veteran of this very young but special WR corp.

I was using this link for free agents
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/'>http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/</a>

I would love it if your Gurley/Cooper draft happened. I also think that building depth through draft is still key, but we are definitely hurting for leadership and experience in the locker room. By being smart in supplementing through free agency, and another good draft this team can be very dangerous in the near future.

Your comment on Bulaga proved that you know nothing about him.

It's easy to look at a list of names and say, hey we should sign that guy. I recognize his name.

Quote:I do not think that the Cowboys will let Dez Bryant go at this point, and I feel that you over rate Maclin's abilities...

I think Robinson could turn into as good as a WR as both of them in a few years (its not Bryant & Maclin's rookie year but if you compare I think Robinson has better stats at this point in their rookie careers)...

They also didnt have a bad qb get benched at week 3 for a rookie QB behind the worst Oline in the NFL and with no real running backs to hand off to...

I really dont think WR is this team's problem (Vic Ketchman would say WRs are a dime a dozen).... which I wouldnt necessarily agree with but this team's glaring problem in regards to Offense is the Oline...

*I agree about Dez and Maclin. I'm not sure who else in this upcoming free agency can fill this role, but I think it's important to have a veteran WR that our young QB can depend on in key situations. (CS3 fumbling)*

*I also agree that our Oline is the weak point. It's also the fulcrum for rushing and passing and needs to be improved if we intend to not be one dimensional. I love seeing Bortles light it up through the air but eventually we need something other than trickery to keep defenses off balance. The ability to run the ball would make that happen.*

The defense is DBs which is why the team is the worst at stopping the pass..

*Yep its definitely depressing watching career back ups look like peyton when playing us. CB and Safety need to be improved big time. An improvement in line backer spot would help take away the short routes and center of the field, plus it would help with tackling the running backs when they get past the DLine.*

the DLine is actually prettty good... they are up there in pass rush & stopping the run is average for the league...

I know. Them and Bortles are the lone bright spots right now. That's also why I didn't list any DT or DE. Although if they go and get someone like Hardy I won't complain. I really feel like our DLine gets held every play lol
Quote:Your comment on Bulaga proved that you know nothing about him.

It's easy to look at a list of names and say, hey we should sign that guy. I recognize his name.

I never claimed to be a Bulaga expert. I also said it was an example of who I'd sign. I'm not a scout but I do know our Oline needs help so a young, but experience lineman would help.

Who would you go after in your expert scouting opinion?
Iupati might be the best Guard in the game. Throw the bank at him. It will be even better than the Naeole signing.
Quote:It's called sarcasm my dense friend.
There are two fine examples in my post.
One being the madden dig which you tripped over and the second being the criticism bit at the end which you didn't read, but I imagine would have gone over your head anyways.
Oh, I'm so wounded. Your superior smarts and mastery of sarcasm have cut me to the quick.
Quote:USCG -- You make some very valid points and propose a solution to the current issues. That's more than what I can say about the anticipated posters that will be making sarcastic comments in attempt to pick apart your well thought out post.

I'm in agreement that we need a veteran playmaker at DB, Safety, and OLB to solidify the D.

Your OL options seem valid. Perhaps draft the Oregon Center (or comparable C) at the top of the 3rd round.

Regarding WR, Dez is a stretch. I think we go Amari Cooper and somehow figure out how to trade up our 1st pick in the 2nd round (plus something else) for Gurley if he slides a little as RBs usually do.

We are 1 million per cent not drafting Amari Cooper, I would put absolutely anything on it.
Pages: 1 2