Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Titans Week --- looking long term
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
FIRST OFF, THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT TANKING.  WE'RE NOT TANKING.  NOBODY IS TRYING TO LOSE.  THAT SAID, WOULD A LOSS THIS WEEK BENEFIT THIS TEAM IN THE LONG RUN ??

So many teams need a QB - Mariota & Winston appear to be the consensus #1 & #2 QBs coming out.  The Jets, Bills, Rams, Titans etc need a QB.    Does the #1 pick benefit us more then a week 6 win vs Titans and potentially a 4 win season and (worst case scenario) the #6 pick in the draft (raiders, rams, titans, redskins,bucs). 

Also, don't discount the importance of having the #1 pick in round 2 as well.

Sure it would help us to have higher draft position.

But at this point that higher draft choice doesn't matter really. If we pick #1 overall... After this year, with the 2nd easisest schedule in the NFL, then Dave and Gus aren't the right guys for the job.

That means we are in trouble yet again.
I think a loss this week catches Khan's attention more than any other week. 

You say this thread is not about tanking, but then you lay out why it would benefit us to lose.  Make up your mind.

Quote:You say this thread is not about tanking, but then you lay out why it would benefit us to lose.  Make up your mind.
Yes, it's a bit illogical, but there's a difference between wanting your team to lose and not getting bent out of shape when your team loses.  Perhaps Hurricane is just trying to see the bright side and show us the silver lining.
I stated they will not tank but would this team be better off with the #1 draft pick.

Teams like the Sixers tank on purpose (trading players, resting starters, etc.) --- there is a difference.

I simply clarified in my initial statement the topic was about WHAT WOULD BE BETTER FOR THE LONG TERM ASPECT OF THIS TEAM.  Unfortunately people jump to tanking when they see LOSS so I wanted to explicitly state the intention of this post.

WE HAVE SO MANY NEEDS ON THIS TEAM THAT I THINK WE NEED PICKS.  We saw it a few years ago when we beat the Colts and they got Luck.  We would not have gotten the #1 pick BUT they Colts would not have gotten Luck.

Quote:I think a loss this week catches Khan's attention more than any other week.

I agree. He's probably questioning his staff right now. I hope he's ready to make the right decisions if this team continues the oath their on.
Superior draft position would help.

Being able to exploit a QB needy team for a boatload of picks would help this team quite a bit.

That said, I want this team to beat the hell outta Tennessee this week.

I want to beat the tacks like they stole something.
Imagine the trades we could get if we draft #1 though...

"You play to win the game...Hello?"

Not sure if this is a pipedream of not but trading down and coming away with Amari Cooper then packaging picks to trade up and grab Gurley would be kind of nice.

Perhaps this is just me trying to find some hope to offset our current losses.

No I never want to lose to the tacks I hate the tacks. That is all
No I never want to lose to the tacks I hate the tacks. That is all
Quote:Imagine the trades we could get if we draft #1 though...

like all the trades Houston got?
Quote:Not sure if this is a pipedream of not but trading down and coming away with Amari Cooper then packaging picks to trade up and grab Gurley would be kind of nice.

Perhaps this is just me trying to find some hope to offset our current losses.

I think that's exactly what's going on.

I am firm in my statement:  If the Jaguars pick #1 overall, then Dave Caldwell and Gus Bradley are not the right guys for the job.  Trusting them with that #1 overall pick would be foolish.
I think if we end up with the number one pick next year we will almost certainly have a new coaching staff and GM.

But, I really hope that's not the case.  Don't want to start another building process and go back to "year one" again...

Quote:like all the trades Houston got?

Ha true.  It is interesting to think about the draft while the college football season is so young.  So many things change during the year.

Edit:

The Titans are a rival.  I want us to crush them and steal their lunch money in their house.  Demoralize their fan base and set them back for years.

I doubt we win.  the titans beat the Chiefs and scored 28 points on Sunday.  We can't even break 20 points.

I'll never not want to win . . . but I think best case scenario for the long term success at this point is for us to accrue losses while our young players improve and then go on a mini-run at the end of the year when everything comes together.

It doesn't matter where we're picking if key players (Bortles, Gratz, Cyprien, Joeckel, etc.) aren't performing well. We're not making the playoffs though, and that means that actual wins are secondary to improved play and draft position for our future success.

Most important is still for our guys to play better.

Pages: 1 2