Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Everybody wanted a competitive game...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
...and you got it.

Say what you want, but we were in that game the entire time.  Even had the ball with +-5 minutes to score. 

Bortles had a bad game.  Sure.  I understand this.  But honestly I'd rather watch him have a bad game then watch Henne check down every throw.  We knew that he would have his good times and bad times.  The first interception I can live with.  Basically it was a punt and he was putting the ball up for his WR to make a play.  The second one can't happen.  Hopefully he learns from these. 

I'm not sure what the offensive plan was, but it did look like it was kind of working in the first half.  We didn't have many 3 and outs and were able to get down the field 3 different times for field goals.  Those need to turn into TD's.  Penalties hurt (I wanted to strangle those refs tho).  But I kept on saying to myself that the way the Steelers were playing defense in the second half that they were ripe for a draw play with Denard.  I kept waiting for it but never saw it.  It was seriously there almost the entire second half.

The WR's have got to be more consistent.  Starting 2 rookies is never going to get you consistency at any position but this was just crazy.  So far only Robinson has shown to be consistent at all catching the ball.  He didn't do any favors on the long int though, but the corner did have the inside position.  He just needs to learn to fight for the ball.  At that point, even offensive pass interference is better than allowing a turnover.  Hurns is a feast for famine.  I know he's had some lucky breaks, but what he is right now is an undrafted guy who has shown promise.  He still needs to fix what's wrong with those bricks at the ends of his arms though. 

Poz finally had a decent game.  Hopefully it isn't an anomaly.  Big Ben picked on him on their last TD drive though.

Anyways, we got exactly what we all wanted.  We wanted a game where we had a chance to win and that's exactly what we watched today.  We saw a rookie QB who still showed promise (climbing the pocket, etc) but also had rookie mistakes.  We saw that Storm may start to be more of a factor in the running game.  We saw just how badly we are in need of a consistent WR.  But most important, we saw a competitive game where we actually had a chance to win.  The offense will mature.  Starting so many rookies will result in inconsistencies.  But whatever.  At least Chad Henne isn't starting.  I'll keep watching.

Quote:...and you got it.

Say what you want, but we were in that game the entire time.  Even had the ball with +-5 minutes to score. 

Bortles had a bad game.  Sure.  I understand this.  But honestly I'd rather watch him have a bad game then watch Henne check down every throw.  We knew that he would have his good times and bad times.  The first interception I can live with.  Basically it was a punt and he was putting the ball up for his WR to make a play.  The second one can't happen.  Hopefully he learns from these. 

I'm not sure what the offensive plan was, but it did look like it was kind of working in the first half.  We didn't have many 3 and outs and were able to get down the field 3 different times for field goals.  Those need to turn into TD's.  Penalties hurt (I wanted to strangle those refs tho).  But I kept on saying to myself that the way the Steelers were playing defense in the second half that they were ripe for a draw play with Denard.  I kept waiting for it but never saw it.  It was seriously there almost the entire second half.

The WR's have got to be more consistent.  Starting 2 rookies is never going to get you consistency at any position but this was just crazy.  So far only Robinson has shown to be consistent at all catching the ball.  He didn't do any favors on the long int though, but the corner did have the inside position.  He just needs to learn to fight for the ball.  At that point, even offensive pass interference is better than allowing a turnover.  Hurns is a feast for famine.  I know he's had some lucky breaks, but what he is right now is an undrafted guy who has shown promise.  He still needs to fix what's wrong with those bricks at the ends of his arms though. 

Poz finally had a decent game.  Hopefully it isn't an anomaly.  Big Ben picked on him on their last TD drive though.

Anyways, we got exactly what we all wanted.  We wanted a game where we had a chance to win and that's exactly what we watched today.  We saw a rookie QB who still showed promise (climbing the pocket, etc) but also had rookie mistakes.  We saw that Storm may start to be more of a factor in the running game.  We saw just how badly we are in need of a consistent WR.  But most important, we saw a competitive game where we actually had a chance to win.  The offense will mature.  Starting so many rookies will result in inconsistencies.  But whatever.  At least Chad Henne isn't starting.  I'll keep watching.
This!
Yeah, this looked more like it.

The problem is that it's taking too long. This is what our first couple of weeks should've looked like.
I just wanted a game in November to matter. Well really i wanted a game in December to matter, I would of settled for November, but AGAIN it's October and the season is over.
Yes, it was competitive. Yes, it shouldn't have taken 5 games to get here. Yes,  it's hard to wait for the young and inexperienced to become solid pros in their prime. 

No, I'm not giving up hope.  And….. no, I don't think we'll win 6or 7 games like I did 5 weeks ago.  Sad 

If we can get and stay healthy on offense , the second half of the season should be fun to watch.
I am not worrying about the importance of games after the bye week. I just want to see improvement show in our win/loss record.

No complaints - it was competitive and we were close until the end. 

For most of this season, I was probably seen as the pessimistic whiner. I didn't like as much about the team as everyone else did.

Today though, I got what I wanted. Team looked competitive. Defense looked like they knew what they were doing. Offense struggled a bit, but a lot of that was on rookies. Sure there's a lot of work that needs to be done by week 1 next year for me to feel comfortable with the direction of the team, but, given where we are in this season, and the rebuild, I'm perfectly content with this game. It was the first real sign of progress since last season.

And instead of the sunshine and lollipops about how bright the future is that I've been subjected to here, while I tried to wallow in my pessimism and cynicism, now everybody else is miserable and furious with where the team is after a game like today. Have I entered the twilight zone?

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote: Have I entered the twilight zone?

This board?  After a loss?  Twilight Zone?  

Yes. Definitely. 
This is the locker room around week 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLbcfzdtc2M
Quote:[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 3160375.jpg]
It was exactly like the Gators game. The defense kept the team in the game while the offense sputtered and looked lost the entire time. 

The Gators won their game though. 

I had no problem with the loss today. Outside of the running game woes, this today was about how I expected the team to look this year.

To me it was miles better than the first 4 games.
Quote:[Image: 3160375.jpg]
[Image: dogs-resembling-other-things-3.jpg]
Quote:I had no problem with the loss today. Outside of the running game woes, this today was about how I expected the team to look this year.

To me it was miles better than the first 4 games.

Better than the worse defense in history, awesome.
Competitiveness doesn't win games.

Winning wins games.

Would I rather be competitive or a winner?

A winner.

Quote:[Image: dogs-resembling-other-things-3.jpg]
Not sure what you've been putin in your pipe, but I want some.
Quote:This board?  After a loss?  Twilight Zone?  

Yes. Definitely. 

What's it like after a win, I can't remember?  What's it like when they win a game and are still in playoff contention?
Pages: 1 2