Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Amazon Adds Racial Prejudice Warning To Tom And Jerry Cartoons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Amazon Adds Racial Prejudice Warning To Tom And Jerry Cartoons

Subscribers to Amazon Prime will now see an ethnic and racial prejudice warning before watching “Tom and Jerry” cartoons, which some have argued is too politically correct.

- See more at: http://www.opposingviews.com/i/entertain...wBUVh.dpuf

I wonder if they do the same thing with Bugs Bunny?

I love old cartoons and its probably because they showed things back then that they would never show now. 

The old Disney cartoons are hilarious.  It's one of the reasons I like staying at a Disney property.  They have one channel with a continuous loop of old cartoons.  I could watch it for hours.

Doesn't surprise me.. It's a pansy generation that whines about pansy things.. 

^ What he said.

Quote:Doesn't surprise me.. It's a pansy generation that whines about pansy things..

I'm a part of the generation and I agree whole heartedly. I'm not easily offended and it amazes me what is considered "offensive" anymore.
Generation wuss at it's finest..

Today's society is so easily offended by the slightest little thing.

To me, that just offensive.

How's tom and jerry racist? We're talking about the mouse and cat that don't talk?
Quote:How's tom and jerry racist? We're talking about the mouse and cat that don't talk?

Apparently there were characters in black face and some stereotypes that are now thought of us offensive. If you've seen cartoons or comedy sketches from that era, you might have an idea what it's like.

I have an Amazon Prime account, but don't see the warning, but maybe you see it when you actually purchase the video. It's a fairly benign "warning" anyway. If I was completely unaware of what cartoons from that era were like, I might want to have a heads up before letting kids watch it, for no other reason than to tell kids it's not cool to mimic their black friends with an Amos and Andy voice, for example.

Quote:Tom and Jerry shorts may depict some ethnic and racial prejudices that were once commonplace in American society. Such depictions were wrong then and are wrong today.

Quote:Apparently there were characters in black face and some stereotypes that are now thought of us offensive. If you've seen cartoons or comedy sketches from that era, you might have an idea what it's like.

I have an Amazon Prime account, but don't see the warning, but maybe you see it when you actually purchase the video. It's a fairly benign "warning" anyway. If I was completely unaware of what cartoons from that era were like, I might want to have a heads up before letting kids watch it, for no other reason than to tell kids it's not cool to mimic their black friends with an Amos and Andy voice, for example.

Can't fault companies for protecting themselves.

I thought some how people where calling tom and jerry some kind of play on black and white relations.