Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gus needs time - Check the Facts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

<p style="font-size:16px;">Here are some intresting facts from Gus Bradley time in Seattle and his start here

<p style="font-size:16px;"> 

<p style="font-size:16px;">https://twitter.com/BrentAS360

<p style="font-size:16px;">This is from Brent Martineau on twitter

<p style="font-size:16px;">Been crunching some numbers: Jags have given up 30 or more points 10 times the last two years, more than 40 points four times.

<p style="font-size:16px;">Last year, the Jags had 6 games giving up 30 or more. 5 in first half of season, one (30 exactly), 2nd half of season.

<p style="font-size:16px;">Gus was DC in Seattle from 2009- 2012: first 2 years: 30 plus 14 times (4 times 40 plus) 3rd year: 30 plus 3 times 4th year: 30 plus 0 times

<p style="font-size:16px;">Numbers are numbers but it looks like it took Seattle's defense 3 years to get it right under Bradley. That's the moral of the story.

<p style="font-size:16px;">A Gus led defense has never had a 4 game stretch like this since 2009, but several 3 game stretches.

<p style="font-size:16px;">A couple of more: 2009 Seattle allowed: 25.8 PPG

<p style="font-size:16px;">2010:Seattle allowed: 24.8 PPG

<p style="font-size:16px;">2011:SEA allowed: 16.1 PPG

<p style="font-size:16px;">2012:SEA allowed: 15.9 PPG

<p style="font-size:16px;">2013 Jags allowed: 28.1 PPG

<p style="font-size:16px;">2014 Jags: we'll see

In before Pete Carroll

Hey, I hope thats true and we see a nice change in things. But some folks want it now and Im not sure if this team can do that...

To do better than last year, our defense can only give up an average of 24.6 points per game here on out.  And I don't see that happening.

I really had hope our D was going to show improvements. I mean what we did in the first part of week one was awesome...I just dont know what has happened since that.

I know the defense is still awful, but the pass rush has improved with the new DL guys, we just need to fix the LB and DB's 

Of course you have to look at how long each of Seattle's 11 defensive starters have been in the NFL, what roster and depth chart changes were made early on, and who has been in Seattle the longest. Then there are position coaches: Did Gus Bradley work with the same defensive line, linebackers, and defensive back coaches all of the years he held that job in Seattle? If you don't take all of this information into account, the numbers do not mean much.

Quote:I know the defense is still awful, but the pass rush has improved with the new DL guys, we just need to fix the LB and DBs 

It is mostly mental errors for some guys. That is why Gus Bradley talks about trust and accountability. After the Redskins game, he said what he sees is 10 guys doing  their jobs right, but the one who needs to make a play is in the wrong place at the wrong time. That is often just making a mistake, not lack of talent.
That's all well and good, but Babich is the defensive coordinator, not Bradley.

Quote:That's all well and good, but Babich is the defensive coordinator, not Bradley.

Why does that matter? It is Bradley's system that he used in Seattle. Babich is just the guy running it.
Quote: 

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;margin-left:30px;">
<p style="font-size:16px;">Here are some intresting facts from Gus Bradley time in Seattle and his start here

<p style="font-size:16px;">Been crunching some numbers: Jags have given up 30 or more points 10 times the last two years, more than 40 points four times.

<p style="font-size:16px;">Last year, the Jags had 6 games giving up 30 or more. 5 in first half of season, one (30 exactly), 2nd half of season.

<p style="font-size:16px;">Gus was DC in Seattle from 2009- 2012: first 2 years: 30 plus 14 times (4 times 40 plus) 3rd year: 30 plus 3 times 4th year: 30 plus 0 times

<p style="font-size:16px;">Numbers are numbers but it looks like it took Seattle's defense 3 years to get it right under Bradley. That's the moral of the story.

<p style="font-size:16px;">A Gus led defense has never had a 4 game stretch like this since 2009, but several 3 game stretches.

</div>

Great post. I did hear this on the radio a couple of days ago. But this fanbase wont give the guy a chance to work. How can you put pressure on ANYBODY that is coming into this situation? Just because other franchises have turned it around quickly, doesnt mean this one can. Every situation is different.
Bradley just needs to stick to his plan. Khan and Caldwell won't do anything till' 2016 giving him plenty of time to show some significant improvement.

Remember Chuck Noll. He had a terrible record in his first 3 seasons, Then 4th season the steelers broke out bigtime. I fully expect this to happen with bradley because thats how Caldwell is setting it up talent wise. Time will tell though if bradley ever makes it to the superbowl.

Rather pointless stats.

All they do is reiterate the point people like myself have been making, which is that Bradley isn't a great coach, he's just another guy with the headset on and getting paid millions.

He had success when he had a roster full of pro bowlers, and most coaches can do that.

There's no guarantee he'll ever have this team competitive, because he's not a guy that finds a way to make his team better, in the case of the Jaguars it's all up to Caldwell. If Caldwell does a great job he and Bortles will make Gus look much better than he's shown he is so far.

Quote: 

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;margin-left:30px;">

</div>
Agreed, Raiders Allen was a different story and many felt that the Raiders jumped the gun and shouldve at least given Allen the rest of the season before firing him.

I do think that Gus should be concerned but I do not think that Gus should be fired.  Lets see how the team finishes this season before talking of that stuff...
Quote:Rather pointless stats.

All they do is reiterate the point people like myself have been making, which is that Bradley isn't a great coach, he's just another guy with the headset on and getting paid millions.

He had success when he had a roster full of pro bowlers, and most coaches can do that.

There's no guarantee he'll ever have this team competitive, because he's not a guy that finds a way to make his team better, in the case of the Jaguars it's all up to Caldwell. If Caldwell does a great job he and Bortles will make Gus look much better than he's shown he is so far.

Saying Bradley didnt have much to do with the success of the Seahawks defense is absolutely mornonic. He deserves plenty of credit and honestly, head coaches these days are just glorified fall guys.

The GM position is the crucial part. A great GM makes a great coach. A bad GM makes a bad coach. A great coach can't make a GM. Bradley will go as far as Caldwell/Bortles take him.

See Andy Reid..

Quote:Saying Bradley didnt have much to do with the success of the Seahawks defense is absolutely mornonic. He deserves plenty of credit and honestly, head coaches these days are just glorified fall guys.

The GM position is the crucial part. A great GM makes a great coach. A bad GM makes a bad coach. A great coach can't make a GM. Bradley will go as far as Caldwell/Bortles take him.

Don't kid yourself, buddy, the coach can make a difference, there's a reason teams like the 49ers go from mediocre for years to suddenly going to NFC championship repeatedly, and it isn't because they drafted 10 pro bowlers in one off season, same with Reid and KC like DewtheMathis noted.

The Jaguars can still be good, but it won't be because we have a difference making head coach, it'll be because of Caldwell and Bortles.

Gus is just Guy Smiley along for the ride.
Quote:See Andy Reid..

?
Quote:Rather pointless stats.

You said it perfectly.  I agree.
Quote:Don't kid yourself, buddy, the coach can make a difference, there's a reason teams like the 49ers go from mediocre for years to suddenly going to NFC championship repeatedly, and it isn't because they drafted 10 pro bowlers in one off season, same with Reid and KC like DewtheMathis noted.

The Jaguars can still be good, but it won't be because we have a difference making head coach, it'll be because of Caldwell and Bortles.

Gus is just Guy Smiley along for the ride.

While that's true. Those guys also had established HC pedigrees and experience. Gus is a 2nd year HC. He's still learning just like the rest of the team. And we see that with clock management and play calling. And he even calls himself out on it when he's wrong.

I'm not saying he's the answer and will lead us to a Super Bowl. But I'm not saying he's a terrible coach. I'm saying it's too soon to tell.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6