Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: You will see a completely different Jaguars team this Sunday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Now while I'm sure that some of you already know this, there seem to be a lot of mis- informed posters on this forum in regards to how a football team works fundamentally. These are the same people who have blamed our defense as the reason that so many points have been scored on us, and also the ones that emphasize that our whole team is bad, not just our (old) QB situation with Henne. Let me explain.

1. If Bortles can provide the same spark that he did on Sunday, you will see a much better performing defensive unit.

Bortles has the ability to sustain keep drives alive, and move our team downfield, thus meaning that he can significantly increase our TOP. This means that our defense isn't forced onto the field so often after constant 3 and out possesions, so they should be well rested and ready to go out and play. Not to mention, our big guys on the defensive line (Clemons, Bryant, Branch) should be able to get much better penetration on the O line when theyre not completely gassed.

2. There is no excuse for us not to be able to run the ball at least semi- effectively this Sunday

Our offensive line is mediocre. everyone knows this.  But Bortles actually gives opposing defenses something to worry about.  However, they will not give him the benefit of the doubt. They are going to load the box,much like we saw with Gabbert and Henne, Until he proves that he can beat it. When he does, this will mean that the defense won't be blitzing as much, and that Gerhart and D Rob (preferably  D Rob) Will actually have some bigger holes to run the ball.

3. This team is much better than our record indicates

This isn't just my personal bias towards the team either. This is a pretty solid football team. By no means are we great, but by no means are we terrible either, no matter how much it seems so. We lack depth, but we have just enough depth in the right places for it to count. (Cyp at SS, Blackmon at CB, Branch, clemons and bryant on DL, the list goes on...) 

So with a new leader to give our abysmal offense hope, and our entire team a spark, I am predicting that we will see a much better Jaguars football team on Sunday, one that has a legitimate chance of beating San Diego in their own house.

Uh, no.  This team is horrible, and is not a better than that they look like. 

Hopefully Bortles can help, but try to remember he's a rookie starting his first game and we probably won't cut him next week when people remain in panic mode

I choose to ignore my eyes and go into Sunday with blind hope! I like the way you think!

1. Maybe ?

2. Hopefully ?

3. No.
Disagree with all three. I think you are living in a fairy tale world. But I like your optimism. I hope you are right. I really do.

No matter what you say, you are showing very obvious Jaguars bias. There is no way anybody with his/her head in reality can say we don't suck.

Bortles is going to turn this around, a 180.  Jags are ready to make the playoff run, and it all starts by destroying the Chargers.

13-3!!!!  Super Bortles to the rescue

Quote:Bortles is going to turn this around, a 180.  Jags are ready to make the playoff run, and it all starts by destroying the Chargers.

I have a lot of faith that when our rebuild is complete, we will get back to the playoffs. Just give us one more year to do that.
Quote:Now while I'm sure that some of you already know this, there seem to be a lot of mis- informed posters on this forum in regards to how a football team works fundamentally. These are the same people who have blamed our defense as the reason that so many points have been scored on us, and also the ones that emphasize that our whole team is bad, not just our (old) QB situation with Henne. Let me explain.

1. If Bortles can provide the same spark that he did on Sunday, you will see a much better performing defensive unit.

Bortles has the ability to sustain keep drives alive, and move our team downfield, thus meaning that he can significantly increase our TOP. This means that our defense isn't forced onto the field so often after constant 3 and out possesions, so they should be well rested and ready to go out and play. Not to mention, our big guys on the defensive line (Clemons, Bryant, Branch) should be able to get much better penetration on the O line when theyre not completely gassed.

2. There is no excuse for us not to be able to run the ball at least semi- effectively this Sunday

Our offensive line is mediocre. everyone knows this.  But Bortles actually gives opposing defenses something to worry about.  However, they will not give him the benefit of the doubt. They are going to load the box,much like we saw with Gabbert and Henne, Until he proves that he can beat it. When he does, this will mean that the defense won't be blitzing as much, and that Gerhart and D Rob (preferably  D Rob) Will actually have some bigger holes to run the ball.

3. This team is much better than our record indicates

This isn't just my personal bias towards the team either. This is a pretty solid football team. By no means are we great, but by no means are we terrible either, no matter how much it seems so. We lack depth, but we have just enough depth in the right places for it to count. (Cyp at SS, Blackmon at CB, Branch, clemons and bryant on DL, the list goes on...) 

So with a new leader to give our abysmal offense hope, and our entire team a spark, I am predicting that we will see a much better Jaguars football team on Sunday, one that has a legitimate chance of beating San Diego in their own house.
It depends on how the newly appointed defenders play. Many of our poor defensive plays have been just literally not covering someone. If you cover most of those guys and give our line more time to get a sack here and there all of a sudden it looks like we can play defense. I think with Evans and Thomas in the lineup we might be able to play defense. Jury still certainly out on this one though.

I'm very optimistic about the offense, though. Honestly other than TE our skill positions on offense are good and our Oline is held back by an injury and lack of experience together. Fielding Bortles, Hurns, Arob, Drob, and(after this week) an underrated Sanders we will have an explosive offense. It will literally be a night and day type of difference. Once the O-line gets more experience together and the WRs we already have hit the field we will be one of the better offenses in the league.
Oddly enough I agree. I tend to think Bortles has the "it" factor and will give this team a scrappy edge. Most teams tend to take on the personality the guys running it. The coach and qb. Bortles is a tough guy and I think we will see this team turn into tough guys.

We still are a ways off from being a great team but I have a feeling that this team is better than what they appear to be right now.  

Just looking forward to competent (not excellent, not outstanding, just competent) QB play. I'm already past having extremely high expectations.
I think we will be better.  maybe we catch the chargers overlooking us, have the ball bounce our way a few times.  any given sunday.  but im not expecting it.

Trying to keep it positive. I really hope this Bortles guy is the real deal. 

I do expect the D to be better... not great, but better. They should have a chance to get their wind if Blake can sustain drives and not keep throwing them back out there.a la Henne,....

While I do not necessarily believe that this team is better than its record, I do believe it is far better than its point differential.
Would love this to be the case, but I think a lot of us are hanging way too much on a rookie quarterback.  Setting ourselves up for disappointment.

It will be more fun to watch, but bottom line is we are a very bad team.

I want them to win this game so bad. The league would take notice of Blake..
The defense playing better has little to do with the offense.  They have to do the simple things like Tackle Well and cover your own zone.  They have not done either of those yet.

Maybe Bortles will have a Roethlisberger esque rookie season and we will win out. Then again we don't have nearly the team the Steelers did in 2004. 

Pages: 1 2 3