Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Breaking down Hurns. Is he for real? or lightning in a bottle?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Over the last 7 games (preseason included), We've seen the emergence of Allen Hurns. An undrafted rookie FA from Fisch's college team. Through three games, He has accumulated 7 rec, 186 yards, 3 TDs. The fact that he is even on the team is a miracle much less what he is doing now.

The questions begin. Is he for real? NFL is littered with one season wonders in the perfect situation that light up the world only to fall back down to earth the next year. What does he show that proves he will continue to have sustained success?

My analysis: Him knowing the offense coming in has allowed him to play at a higher speed than most of the other WR's and led to his ascension on the depth chart. Once he hit the regular season, I expected him to disappear but he didn't. Why? Because he is making ridiculous cuts in his routes which is getting him open. Thats the big one. He gets open. Perhaps as good as any receiver I've seen. Hurns isn't blowing by people or making tough catches. He is just simply out-cutting them and getting open. I don't think Hurns will ever be a true #1 receiver but he could settle in as a #2 and have a nice long successful career.

His double move is lethal.
I think he has a chance to be  lightning with a Bortle.

I think Hurns has the chance to be a really good WR in this league now with a sufficient QB at the helm.. Good route running and knowing the playbook (along with natural ability helps a lot), but a good QB can make the WR..

Quote:His double move is lethal.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees this. Hurns is a fundamental receiver and he's beating the man across from him with acquired skills, not talent.

The fact that he can make plays after the catch is just icing on the cake. Once all of our receivers are healthy, it's safe to say the Jags have fixed the receiver problem.
Quote:His double move is lethal.
I think it's because of Sullivan. I think he's one of the greatest coaches of all time. It's no coincidence we have had great receivers Shorts, Blackmon and Hurns in this short amount of time.

EDIT: drunk
Every year it seems like there is 1 UDFA that plays like he should've been a first day selection. I've longed for the days of when the Jaguars would finally find that diamond in the rough.

Hitman Hurns is the real deal.
Hurns is something special. I don't think he'll just suck after this season lol...

I think the guy is a stud and will just improve.  His route running and double move like the above poster stated already make him look like a vet.  His speed is underrated and he is a hard to bring down when the ball is in his hands.  We have only seen the beginning of this guy!

Dat double move....its just not fair. 

Fire up loud another round of shots, Hurns down for what.
The rap on him in college was he was injury prone. He's still under 2 bucks so we'll see if he'll stand up the entire season.

Otherwise he good. But lots of players are good but not durable. Being durable can make them great.
Quote:Fire up loud

agreed
The most difficult adjustment for a rookie wr is the adjustment to a pro style offense. That has been neutralized for Hurns because he played in the same offense in college, so he just goes out there and plays. I think that's why he's so ahead of the curve, in comparison to Blackmon and Shorts in their rookie years, and currently, Lee and Robinson.

Still, I'm still suprised at how good Hurns has looked. You don't expect a UDFA to come into the NFL and look like he belongs, right away. He has the speed and strength, and great route running.
I think if henne didn't underthrow hom in the skins game him hauls in that 80yd td.

I think his route running reminds me a bit of McCardell but is alot faster then him.

A healthy robinson, hurns, lee and shorts and you can say Blackmon who.

Add sanders and we could have a pretty letgal offence comparable to the saints in a few years once we get a decent past catching TE.
There is a reason he keeps getting compared to Keenan McCardell.

When we can start to control the clock you'll see a big difference in our whole offence and defense.

When you have a stable of quality wrs you can sub in fresh legs all day long
Looks like he could be the real deal. Longevity is the key, we'll see. Hope he is more than just lightning in a bottle.

That said,, there have been a lot of WR that had a really good year or two and then basically vanished (MSW, Laurent Robinson, Stevie Johnson, and a hundred others).

Hopefully, after a while, Hurns will make us all say "Justin Blackmon? Who?" !!
It all starts with Bortles a good QB will make the Running game work a Great QB will beat you with both. Blitz and make them feel it with a pass down the seam for a TD.

Oline spots the blitz, give him time to make a play and then all of a sudden defense is playing scared.

Double team dangerous W's that is when you know you finally have a offense
Quote:

I think if henne didn't underthrow hom in the skins game him hauls in that 80yd td.

I think his route running reminds me a bit of McCardell but is alot faster then him.

A healthy robinson, hurns, lee and shorts and you can say Blackmon who.

Add sanders and we could have a pretty letgal offence comparable to the saints in a few years once we get a decent past catching TE.

As much as I don't care for Henne, that drop was on Hurns, which is expected. He's a rookie and he'll have moments like that. Here's hoping though that those moments are few and far in between because Hurns is the real real.
Pages: 1 2 3 4