Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Sides Rules Against the American Flag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Sides Rules Against the American Flag

On Wednesday, America celebrated Constitution Day. It was also the day that a ruling came from the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals regarding the case out of California where the principal at Live Oak High School made four students remove their American flag t-shirts, which they wore on May 5, Cinco de Mayo, because the principal said students of Mexican heritage might view the shirts as offensive.

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/09/18/ninth-cir...ican-flag/

Then they should move back to Mexico.

So if hispanic students wear shirts with a Mexican flag on them on the 4th of July or National Constitution Day, are they going to make them take them off too?  If a principal tried to tell my kid he couldn't wear a shirt because it has an American flag on it, we'd have issues.  We're in America, that's our flag, you don't like it?  Get over it or you are always welcome to move to a different country.  If that were me I'd show up the next day in my American flag t-shirt and find some American flag jorts to go with it. 

How does wearing a shirt with a flag of your home country on it offend anyone?  It's a t-shirt!  

It might lead to violence?  Then the problem isn't with those wearing the American flag t-shirts, it's with the other side that would get violent over something like that.  We're so [BLEEP] backwards with how we deal with 'problems' these days it's crazy.
Well, that's stupid.

The faults with the school not the court. All the court ruled was the principle has the authority to send kids home for dress code violations as they see fit. Courts don't create legislation or enforce executive actions they just interpret the legality of actions. The principle is stupid and should receive a ton of blow back, we can argue that his bias is unwarranted but certainly not unconstitutional.

Personally it's just another example why if you can help you should keep your kids out of government schools, their a joke by almost any standard.

More liberalism poisoning America.

Another sad, sad example.

Quote:More liberalism poisoning America.

What about it is liberalism? The principle is a Mexican sympathizer and total idiot but neither of those are synonyms with liberal.

The court correctly interpreted the law there's no authority for them to change local school dress codes nor should their be.

I'm not nitpicking but we need to correctly label the problem to combat the problem. It's not liberalism it's an anti- America anti assimilation culture we've allowed to corrupt border counties. That's a spawn of globalism not liberalism.
Quote:What about it is liberalism? The principle is a Mexican sympathizer and total idiot but neither of those are synonyms with liberal.

The court correctly interpreted the law there's no authority for them to change local school dress codes nor should their be.

I'm not nitpicking but we need to correctly label the problem to combat the problem. It's not liberalism it's an anti- America anti assimilation culture we've allowed to corrupt border counties. That's a spawn of globalism not liberalism.
9th Circuit Court of Appeals?  If that doesn't ring any bells, I really don't know what to say.
Quote:9th Circuit Court of Appeals? If that doesn't ring any bells, I really don't know what to say.

But how should the court in this case ruled? That government has the authority to dictate something a trivial as a school dress code?

In this case it's not a liberal court dictating over the naive public it's an over zealous principle with a globalist viewpoint of pro Mexican culture without any regard for assimilation by immigrants.
Quote:More liberalism poisoning America.

I don't think this even counts as "liberalism". A principal has the right to set and enforce dress codes, and to ask students to change clothes or go home. This principal did so in astonishingly stupid fashion, and the court's ruling makes it sound more like a war zone than a school. My question to the principal would be, "What the hell kind of school are you running if 'prevent violence' is on your daily to-do list?".
My pastor said from the pulpit that people are so thin skinned it's a wonder they don't bleed to death. And he meant everyone who has a pulse and breathes. 

It truly is sad that society is circling the drain. People get offended so often by everything that when there's something to TRULY be offended about it's a non-issue. 

Quote:Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Sides Rules Against the American Flag

On Wednesday, America celebrated Constitution Day. It was also the day that a ruling came from the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals regarding the case out of California where the principal at Live Oak High School made four students remove their American flag t-shirts, which they wore on May 5, Cinco de Mayo, because the principal said students of Mexican heritage might view the shirts as offensive.

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/09/18/ninth-cir...ican-flag/

I would wager that not only the majority of students of Mexican heritage, but most students in general have no idea why Cinco de Mayo is celebrated.
Quote:My pastor said from the pulpit that people are so thin skinned it's a wonder they don't bleed to death. And he meant everyone who has a pulse and breathes. 

It truly is sad that society is circling the drain. People get offended so often by everything that when there's something to TRULY be offended about it's a non-issue. 

Which thin skinned people are you talking about specifically?    The ones who were offended by the American flag, or the ones who were offended by the principal's actions?   Or the ones who are offended by the Mexican flag?   There are so many people offended here, we need a scorecard. 
Quote:Which thin skinned people are you talking about specifically?    The ones who were offended by the American flag, or the ones who were offended by the principal's actions?   Or the ones who are offended by the Mexican flag?   There are so many people offended here, we need a scorecard. 

I'm offended by you thinking that we need a scorecard.  Wink
Political correctness has been the biggest cause of the downfall of morals in our society. 

Quote:Political correctness has been the biggest cause of the downfall of morals in our society. 

The prioritization of foreigners over domestics is the problem in this particular case. The destruction of the melting pot and replacing it with balkanization will be the cause of the next internal war. PC is just a tool that the left uses to control people and force them into their agenda.
Quote:Which thin skinned people are you talking about specifically? The ones who were offended by the American flag, or the ones who were offended by the principal's actions? Or the ones who are offended by the Mexican flag? There are so many people offended here, we need a scorecard.
Read my post again. In this day and age it seems people get offended by everything. Someone wears a shirt others don't like and it's a crisis. Gays, Christians, atheists, foreigners, men ,women, children, young, old, rich, poor..... there is not a person or group of people who don't get offended by something that in many cases is just a matter of selfish pride.

No one wants to ever be told they're wrong (whether they are or not is irrelevant) or be told/shown/exposed to an opinion different than theirs. And the sad thing is our government, when not directly involved in encouraging this, has their hands tied to uphold a rule by a principal's agenda that absolutely absurd.

Diversity in any form can be pretty positive, but in this day and age it is more often than not like a four letter word because people are using it as a social and political weapon.
Quote:Read my post again. In this day and age it seems people get offended by everything. Someone wears a shirt others don't like and it's a crisis. Gays, Christians, atheists, foreigners, men ,women, children, young, old, rich, poor..... there is not a person or group of people who don't get offended by something that in many cases is just a matter of selfish pride.

No one wants to ever be told they're wrong (whether they are or not is irrelevant) or be told/shown/exposed to an opinion different than theirs. And the sad thing is our government, when not directly involved in encouraging this, has their hands tied to uphold a rule by a principal's agenda that absolutely absurd.

Diversity in any form can be pretty positive, but in this day and age it is more often than not like a four letter word because people are using it as a social and political weapon.

Well, yeah, I agree with all that. 
Quote:Well, yeah, I agree with all that.

That was what my pastor was getting at. People these days are so thin-skinned it's a wonder they don't bleed to death. It pretty much sums up the majority of society and, politically, both sides of the aisle.

I think there's a difference between an offense and being offended. An offense is when someone does something with the intent of offending, at which point one would be justified in their hurt feelings or feeling offended. Being offended in the way it's being thrown around today is a choice because the so-called offense is without intent.

People just being people and living their lives has somehow become a problem for a number of folks from every walk of life who can't handle anything outside of what they consider their comfort zone. And somehow this, and their insistence that everyone see it their way, has become acceptable behavior. It's just sad.
I'm old school. My grandmother served for 23 years as a Postmaster, where she was trained to handle the U.S. flag according to the United States Flag Code, an actual Federal law with no punitive teeth due to Supreme Court rulings. I remember her letting me fold the flag, but I had to stand at the top step of the building's porch and let the flag hang down over the edge so it wouldn't touch the ground.

She forbade me from wearing clothing that displayed the flag, even incompletely like a Stars and Stripes bandana, in her presence. Such a display was forbidden by the Flag Code. Since then, I've never owned any clothing that displays the Stars and Stripes in any fashion. Am I still a real 'Merican?

Pages: 1 2