Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is WR THAT bad?!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Apologies if already posted.

This from PFT...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...receivers/

In relevant part...

Quote: 

Bradley said that the number of mental errors that <a class="" href='http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9402/marqise-lee'>Marqise Lee</a>, <a class="" href='http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9867/allen-hurns'>Allen Hurns</a> and <a class="" href='http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9297/allen-robinson'>Allen Robinson</a> made in the Week Two loss to the Redskins was in the “double digits.” He termed that “far too many” and said that the team has already pared back the playbook to a point where he feels the players should be able to handle what’s asked of them.
(emphasis added)

What kinds of mental mistakes are they making, and how are those mistakes impacting the offense?

Are guys running routes inaccurately?  Are they lining up improperly, or incorrectly reading coverages?  Have some not mastered the playbook and running routes not designed for some plays?  Are they not getting hot route calls/audibles?

That's what happens when starting 3 rookie WR. Not having shorts or sanders hurts big time.
Thats called excuse making to buy more time for henne.. did they think starting a roster stacked with rookies was going to yield a perfectly ran offense?
Well 2 of them did miss a whole lot of time.

Quote:That's what happens when starting 3 rookie WR. Not having shorts or sanders hurts big time.

Pretty much spot on.  Start 3 rookies in week 2 and these are the kind of results that you get.  WR is more about mental ability than it is about physical ability.  That's probably true for a lot of offensive positions.
Quote:Thats called excuse making to buy more time for henne.. did they think starting a roster stacked with rookies was going to yield a perfectly ran offense?

Again, so the coaches are specifically throwing those three guys under the bus to save face for Henne?

We're talking Henne here.
Quote:Thats called excuse making to buy more time for henne.. did they think starting a roster stacked with rookies was going to yield a perfectly ran offense?
Why in the world would the Jaguars' brass manufacture excuses for Henne?
Quote:Why in the world would the Jaguars' brass manufacture excuses for Henne?

It's all part of the Grand Conspiracy.   Ninja
These rookies are now supposed to be 'professionals'. Professionals work and learn to do what's required ahead of time so they are prepared. If the rookie wr's don't know the playbook by now, then there needs to be some accountability; perhaps fines would make an impression. All I know is that if most of us had the chance to play a professional sport and receive the kind of money the rookies are getting... we'd be up all night every night until we knew that playbook inside out. Mistakes would not be due to not knowing what you were supposed to do....

and as far as CSIII is concerned...

I'm growing less and less interested in what a marginally effective wr thinks or says who spends most of his time on the sideline with a 'sore hamstring'. I don't recall Jimmy Smith or Keenan Mccardell missing games due to 'hamies'. Frankly, I'm starting to wonder if it might not be menstrual cramps, seeing as how he has them so regularly... 

I picked up on that, too. Thought it was interesting coming from Gus. We all believe we have a talented group of WRs. They've shown to make some plays/flash. They're young so mistakes are expected, but we aren't doing them any favors starting Henne. He is less likely to give the rookies a shot because he knows too many mistakes/INTs will lose him more than just the game.
Shorts will give the team a huge boost.
What mental errors I wonder...  

Hurns had a big one dropping the TD...

Does it surprise anyone that rookie WRs will have mental mistakes...  But from reading this article, I guess it's safe to assume that Gus thinks the mistakes are too many even for rookies.  

If 1 rookie is having too many issues, you could put it on that individual.  But stating that all 3 had a number of mistakes that are to a level that requires a public admonishment, makes me wonder if maybe they are not being coached properly?
Quote:Shorts will give the team a huge boost.
we'll see... he isn't helping much being on the sideline.
On the TD pass to Marcedes, 2 of them ran into each other...

There are option routes that require the wr understand what the defender is doing and to go where he'll be open.

If he's not seeing what the qb is seeing, well you see the result...
They're all total busts. None of them have even been to a pro bowl.
Just hope the rookies can figure things out over the season.

Quote:What mental errors I wonder...  

Hurns had a big one dropping the TD...

Does it surprise anyone that rookie WRs will have mental mistakes...  But from reading this article, I guess it's safe to assume that Gus thinks the mistakes are too many even for rookies.  

If 1 rookie is having too many issues, you could put it on that individual.  But stating that all 3 had a number of mistakes that are to a level that requires a public admonishment, makes me wonder if maybe they are not being coached properly?

They are being coached by the best WR coach in the business.

Bradley himself singled them out as the issue, not coaching.
no, they arent that bad, but they have to absolve Henne to ry and  quell the Bortles talk

fortunately, smart fans know the deal homey

Quote:On the TD pass to Marcedes, 2 of them ran into each other...

There are option routes that require the wr understand what the defender is doing and to go where he'll be open.

If he's not seeing what the qb is seeing, well you see the result...

Yep, they talked about this on Jaguars Today also.
It's not just about knowing what route to run. There are other nuances WRs have to know. That's why WRs usually don't make a huge impact their rookie year. It's easy enough to know you have to run a hook route or a slant on a given play. It's a totally different thing to know that if the corner is playing press you cut your route to the outside while if the defense is playing off you cut it inside. Or if they're showing blitz from your side you cut your route off early to give the QB an outlet to get rid of the ball. I think that was a big problem with the WRs this past Sunday, particularly with Marqise Lee. I read somewhere today, on twitter IIRC, that said Marqise didn't know what route to run on a lot of plays because he hadn't seen the coverage the Redskins were running on tape. As the season progresses there will obviously be more tape on defenses and the multiple coverages they like to run, but being early in the season with a new coaching staff, I have no doubt the Redskins had a lot of looks that the young receivers weren't ready for.
Pages: 1 2 3 4