Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gene Simmons: ‘Rock Is Finally Dead’
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Gene Simmons is making headlines again, this time for burying rock ‘n’ roll. The outspoken artist says “Rock is finally dead,” in an interview conducted by his son Nick for Esquire magazine. The Kiss singer-bassist also shares his thoughts on the failing record business and how he would not want to be an up-and-coming artist today.

Read More: Gene Simmons: ‘Rock Is Finally Dead’ | http://loudwire.com/gene-simmons-rock-fi...ck=tsmclip
Rock's been dead for awhile now and for more than just the reasons that Simmons stated in the article. 

The younger generation largely doesn't like rock music, they like urban or dance music. They are sheeple and have little diversity in their musical taste anymore. 

Can't wait for the day to hear those words about rap.

Quote:Can't wait for the day to hear those words about rap.

Not sure that day's coming anytime soon. As said, young people are largely sheeple when it comes to popular music anymore. Rap/ hip-hop/ dance is all they like. 

Gone are the days when you could literally find all of these genres in the top 40/ 100

rock

pop

dance

alternative

R & B

Jazz

New Jack Swing

metal

reggae

punk

new wave

Another TMD "What's wrong with today's generation" rant.
Trust me, I'm doing my part to keep it alive..

\m/
Newsflash for TMD:

Mainstream radio has always played the top hits. In the 70s, I could not stand AM radio, until FM album rock stations gained popularity. If you want diversity from the airwaves you generally need to live near a college campus or stream it on the internet.

I always turn to Gene Simmons for all my updates in the world of Rock music.

Quote:Newsflash for TMD:

Mainstream radio has always played the top hits. In the 70s, I could not stand AM radio, until FM album rock stations gained popularity. If you want diversity from the airwaves you generally need to live near a college campus or stream it on the internet.

Where I live theres always been a number of radio stations which all played various amounts of the top 100 music. The issue is that 2-3 decades ago you simply had more diversity within the actual top 100 itself. 

Frankly, we do not have that anymore. 

Quote:I always turn to Gene Simmons for all my updates in the world of Rock music.

Well, I've never been the biggest fan of his band, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't have a point here. He does. Theres also more thats contributing that he doesn't list, also. 
Anyone who thinks "rock is dead" is living in a 70's or 80's vacumn.  There are more rock bands now than any other time in history.  Just because the labels can't force feed people the same twenty bands and make them rock stars like they once could, because they had a stranglehold on technology, distribution, etc.  Certainly does not mean rock is dead.

Gene would be just another guy in the crowd, with the way the internet and technology have leveled the playing field, that's why he wouldn't want to be "an up and coming artist today."  The money and women meant more to him than the music.

Quote:Anyone who thinks "rock is dead" is living in a 70's or 80's vacumn.  There are more rock bands now than any other time in history.  Just because the labels can't force feed people the same twenty bands and make them rock stars like they once could, because they had a stranglehold on technology, distribution, etc.  Certainly does not mean rock is dead.

Can you back up that second sentence or is it empty rhetoric?

All you have to do is peruse the BillBoard Hot 100 to clearly see that rock is indeed, dead. 

Quote:Can you back up that second sentence or is it empty rhetoric?

All you have to do is peruse the BillBoard Hot 100 to clearly see that rock is indeed, dead. 

Listen to a Hold Steady or Gaslight Anthem album.  Danava, Red Fang, The Passenger from Orlando, Barrio Tiger from L.A., there are literally thousands of straight up rock and roll bands, you just have to listen.  Best Coast, Cloud Nothings, Fake Problems, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood...

Edit: Billboard charts are irrelevant today, that's clear channel and the labels milking their death for the last few dollars they can get.

Quote:Anyone who thinks "rock is dead" is living in a 70's or 80's vacumn.  There are more rock bands now than any other time in history.  Just because the labels can't force feed people the same twenty bands and make them rock stars like they once could, because they had a stranglehold on technology, distribution, etc.  Certainly does not mean rock is dead.

Pretty much.  Technology has evolved the way we listen to music.  No longer do we rely on radio to listen to new music.  We get it from the internet.  I've experienced more new songs, and found things that I've liked that I never thought I would thanks to internet radio stations like Pandora (as well as Television shows).

Just because they're not breaking the Top 100, doesn't mean they aren't out there.  It just means that it's not as popular as it once was.  Most rock fans prefer the classics to anything new.  The classics will remain popular because they're in so much stuff that it's hard not to hear them.  
Listening to The Ramones to remember what Rock and Roll was all about

Quote:Pretty much.  Technology has evolved the way we listen to music.  No longer do we rely on radio to listen to new music.  We get it from the internet.  I've experienced more new songs, and found things that I've liked that I never thought I would thanks to internet radio stations like Pandora (as well as Television shows).

Just because they're not breaking the Top 100, doesn't mean they aren't out there.  It just means that it's not as popular as it once was.  Most rock fans prefer the classics to anything new.  The classics will remain popular because they're in so much stuff that it's hard not to hear them.  

I would argue it is as popular, just the fans don't have a national common ground.  Music especially rock is more regional than it ever has been.  Almost everyone I know is in a band now.
I'm not saying that its not there. 

However, the Hot 100 is whats popular and being played and what much of the younger generation are listening to. 

Rock cannot be found on the hot 100 anymore or very rarely. Its essentially irrelevant to the youth that is all Rap/ Hip Hop/ dance brainwashed. 

Quote:I would argue it is as popular, just the fans don't have a national common ground.  Music especially rock is more regional than it ever has been.  Almost everyone I know is in a band now.

I would have to agree there. Ever hear of a band called Crack the Sky? Didn't think so....... Big Following in the Baltimore Area with 19 albums under their belt
Quote:I'm not saying that its not there. 

However, the Hot 100 is whats popular and being played and what much of the younger generation are listening to. 

Rock cannot be found on the hot 100 anymore or very rarely. Its essentially irrelevant to the youth that is all Rap/ Hip Hop/ dance brainwashed. 

Most of the youth I know are into all genres of music, rock included.  The Hot 100 is for non music fans, those that still just consume what clear channel feeds them.  Anyone, who listens to the same twenty song playlist over and over again would be brainwashed though I think.
Pages: 1 2 3