Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Ford Scraps Mexico Plan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm not sure 700 jobs will have much of an impact. But Donald will take credit.

Trumpettes are probably perplexed - do we consider union jobs being retained a good or bad thing?

Very nice.

Ford cancels plans for Mexico plant, expresses ‘vote of confidence’ in Trump

The company’s CEO, Mark Fields, told CNN that the move is a "vote of confidence" in President-elect Donald Trump’s pledge to create a pro-business environment. Fields emphasized, however, that he did not negotiate any special deal with Trump.

Quote:I'm not sure 700 jobs will have much of an impact. But Donald will take credit.

Trumpettes are probably perplexed - do we consider union jobs being retained a good or bad thing?

Well, he should, considering the CEO said it was a vote of confidence in HIM.

Quote:I'm not sure 700 jobs will have much of an impact. But Donald will take credit.

A lot of credit should go to Trump for this.
Quote:A lot of credit should go to Trump for this.

A CEO saying good things about Trump. Shocking!
Quote:A CEO saying good things about Trump. Shocking!

Is it really that difficult to find joy in this?
Quote:A CEO saying good things about Trump. Shocking!

I'm confused. In a condescending way, you are saying Trump will take credit, yet the CEO of the company is partially crediting Trump. Your loathe for the President Elect is clouding your judgement.
Quote:Is it really that difficult to find joy in this?

He is like Randy Quaid in Major League 2.
I think it's safe to assume that trumps policies are going to be extremely pro business. I have no idea if that's a good thing or bad thing yet. Only time will tell and we shall see.

The tax burdens going to have to be made up somewhere.
700 jobs is 700 jobs...better here in the USA than in Mexico.

Quote:700 jobs is 700 jobs...better here in the USA than in Mexico.

It doesn't just stop with the jobs either. It creates a perception which drives more people to buy American, which in-turn creates even more jobs.
Quote:It doesn't just stop with the jobs either. It creates a perception which drives more people to buy American, which in-turn creates even more jobs.

Made in America is not simply good enough. If you want folks buying American it needs to be high quality and very affordable.
Quote:It doesn't just stop with the jobs either. It creates a perception which drives more people to buy American, which in-turn creates even more jobs.

700 more jobs means 700 more people spending money here and putting money into the local economy.

Much rather have that here than in Mexico.  I'm confused on why Trump being "pro business" in this case is a negative.  The man has his faults but keeping 700 jobs in Michigan instead of sending them to Mexico is not a negative.  Our economy needs more of this and we need to get back to this type of "change" versus the "change" we've seen the last 8 years.
Quote:700 more jobs means 700 more people spending money here and putting money into the local economy.

Much rather have that here than in Mexico.  I'm confused on why Trump being "pro business" in this case is a negative.  The man has his faults but keeping 700 jobs in Michigan instead of sending them to Mexico is not a negative.  Our economy needs more of this and we need to get back to this type of "change" versus the "change" we've seen the last 8 years.

He still has 17 days until he is sworn in and has already shown this much promise as President elect. This country will absolutely flourish the next 8 years. To be honest, he is doing so well, some of the greater accomplishments are getting swept under the run like SoftBank investing 50B in the US and bring 50,000 jobs here.
Quote:I think it's safe to assume that trumps policies are going to be extremely pro business. I have no idea if that's a good thing or bad thing yet. Only time will tell and we shall see.

This is where the left and the right have different ideas about taxes.  The left wants to increase tax, especially on the wealthy.  That tends to be bad for business, results in fewer jobs and results in fewer people actually paying taxes.

The right wants lower taxes for everybody which creates jobs.  More jobs = more people working = more people paying tax.

The end result is usually the same, but which method is better?
Quote:This is where the left and the right have different ideas about taxes.  The left wants to increase tax, especially on the wealthy.  That tends to be bad for business, results in fewer jobs and results in fewer people actually paying taxes.

The right wants lower taxes for everybody which creates jobs.  More jobs = more people working = more people paying tax.

The end result is usually the same, but which method is better?

Call me crazy, but I like the scenario where more people are actually working. Being unemployed while the rich pay more taxes doesn't exactly expand ones spending power.

Your post brings another question into play. Do the majority of Americans have the skills or training necessary to occupy this swarm of jobs that are coming our way?

Quote:Call me crazy, but I like the scenario where more people are actually working. Being unemployed while the rich pay more taxes doesn't exactly expand ones spending power.

Your post brings another question into play. Do the majority of Americans have the skills or training necessary to occupy this swarm of jobs that are coming our way?

No.

Either companies will start asking for more H1B visas (which can be denied), or companies will have to start lowering their requirements. This could also force federal and state education reform which may include expansion of job-related training in trade skills and IT. Hopefully we go this route instead of expanding work visas. Work visas is a short-term solution. Education reform with job-related training should be the long-term solution.
Quote:The right wants lower taxes for everybody which creates jobs. More jobs = more people working = more people paying tax.

This is great except it doesn't work. Tax breaks at the top never trickle down. Not in the late 19th century. Not under Reagan. We have a Right that wants to blast welfare programs (blame the poor) when the biggest welfare recipients are large corporations that don't need them and prove time and again the "horse and sparrow theory" is bunk.

The Waltons don't need $7.8B in tax breaks. Every single Wal-Mart in America actually costs tax payers between $900K - $1.75M a year. Roughly $3K -$6K per worker. And who the hell can live off of a Wal-Mart salary? The farce tax breaks at the top creates jobs is absurd, especially when you look at the types of jobs most create.

But hate the poor people who have a deck stacked against them while billionaires lobby to pay less and less. If you think this gets any better in the next four years, you need to put down the crack pipe. Especially since Trump's proposed Labor Secretary wants to change overtime rules which impact exec bonuses.
Quote:This is great except it doesn't work. Tax breaks at the top never trickle down. Not in the late 19th century. Not under Reagan. We have a Right that wants to blast welfare programs (blame the poor) when the biggest welfare recipients are large corporations that don't need them and prove time and again the "horse and sparrow theory" is bunk.

The Waltons don't need $7.8B in tax breaks. Every single Wal-Mart in America actually costs tax payers between $900K - $1.75M a year. Roughly $3K -$6K per worker. And who the hell can live off of a Wal-Mart salary? The farce tax breaks at the top creates jobs is absurd, especially when you look at the types of jobs most create.

But hate the poor people who have a deck stacked against them while billionaires lobby to pay less and less. If you think this gets any better in the next four years, you need to put down the crack pipe. Especially since Trump's proposed Labor Secretary wants to change overtime rules which impact exec bonuses.

First of all, tax breaks and cuts DO incentivize expansion and growth. The issue today is the expansion isn't occurring in the US, but elsewhere. Slashing corporate taxes and regulation doesn't just help large businesses grow in the US, but it also massively helps small-to-mid size businesses grow as well. That, and protecting against severe undercuts from developing nations while also enabling fair global trade.

Second, nobody should be attempting to live off of a minimum-wage job, specifically the kind provided by Wal-Mart. They are mostly low-skilled, low-intelligence labor positions designed for the elderly and those in-training/education. If you are trying to live off that type of job, you are likely on some form of welfare already.

If someone wants a wage they can live on without welfare, they SHOULD have either education, training, or experience. Apprenticeships, undergraduate degrees acquired BEFORE leaving your parents wings, and primary school trade-skills programs are all methods for acquiring the necessities to have a living wage. If you don't have any of that, then you will not (and should not) be able to acquire a living wage, and that is reality.

You can complain that acquiring the necessary skills to qualify for positions offering a living wage is too expensive, and I can agree to an extent. However, there are multiple reasons why acquiring the necessary skills can be difficult to acquire. The issue is systemic, unfortunately, and mostly caused by an over-invasive government filled to the brim with welfare grants.

Quote:I think it's safe to assume that trumps policies are going to be extremely pro business. I have no idea if that's a good thing or bad thing yet. Only time will tell and we shall see.

Dynamic scoring.... Learn it live it love it
Pages: 1 2 3