Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: ISIS thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The ISIS thread was shut down due to excessive religious discussion, which is still not allowed. Feel free to discuss the conflict, but leave religious discussion out of it.

Thats the problem....."ISIS" is hard to talk about, without also mentioning the other aspects which are fundamental to its discussion. 

Its a shame because some truth was being spoken in that thread. 

Shame that it was removed completely. There were valid points being made throughout the thread both before and during the last segment that touched on religion.

Quote:Shame that it was removed completely. There were valid points being made throughout the thread both before and during the last one that touched on religion.

I started removing individual posts, but when it got until double digits it became ridiculous.

You all need to learn to police yourselves, don't leave it up to the mods.

Typical......

I'll never understand the moratorium on religion. Unless we can talk and discuss things (bigger picture) nothing gets solved and misunderstandings and a divide grows. Personally I think some of the political arguements get worse than some of the religious ones would. Yet theres this seeming fear to allow religious discussion. 

I can see where the slippery slope is when it comes to allowing forums like this (political) especially since religion is part of the basis of thought when it comes to people's decisions/opinions regarding politics.

I assume that most, if not all that participate on this particular forum are adults (voting age).  I personally don't mind having a rational discussion regarding either topic, but eventually it will get bad and disrespectful; hateful things start to be said.

Quote:Thats the problem....."ISIS" is hard to talk about, without also mentioning the other aspects which are fundamental to its discussion. 

Its a shame because some truth was being spoken in that thread. 

No, it's really not.  You can discuss what human debris they are without delving into their religious beliefs. 
Quote:I can see where the slippery slope is when it comes to allowing forums like this (political) especially since religion is part of the basis of thought when it comes to people's decisions/opinions regarding politics.

I assume that most, if not all that participate on this particular forum are adults (voting age).  I personally don't mind having a rational discussion regarding either topic, but eventually it will get bad and disrespectful; hateful things start to be said.
Which is why we were extremely cautious about even allowing political discussion on the board after having a moratorium that lasted for years. 

People don't understand why the ban was in place because they're not the ones who have to moderate the forums.  These discussions can and do get out of hand when subjects of politics or religion are allowed. 
Quote:No, it's really not.  You can discuss what human debris they are without delving into their religious beliefs. 

Not when at the root of why they act that way is from their core beliefs/ instructions. 

"Human debris" is being nice. They worse. 

Quote:Which is why we were extremely cautious about even allowing political discussion on the board after having a moratorium that lasted for years. 

People don't understand why the ban was in place because they're not the ones who have to moderate the forums.  These discussions can and do get out of hand when subjects of politics or religion are allowed. 

I understand completely.  I was once a mod on a different board/forum and I know exactly what you guys deal with.

Sorry rollerjag, my last "off-topic" comment here.  You are the OP of this thread, and part of your topic is stating why the other was shut down.
Quote: 

But its words, man.....just words.....and the filters stop and curse words from emanating....

I dunno, I don't see the big issue. 
Quote:Not when at the root of why they act that way is from their core beliefs/ instructions. 

Just let it go TMD.  Let's not screw up our chance to at least discuss politics.  We can focus on what the current "leadership" of our country is doing (or not doing) without bringing religion into the discussion.
Quote:Just let it go TMD.  Let's not screw up our chance to at least discuss politics.  We can focus on what the current "leadership" of our country is doing (or not doing) without bringing religion into the discussion.

sigh....ok. 

BTW I agree we can talk about OUR own leadership w/o bringing religious discussion into it (well for 99% of our leadership anyway <cough>Obama<cough>  :whistling: ).....but its hard to discuss ISIS without discussing the religious fundamental aspect. Their religious beliefs/ instructions are at ISIS's roots. 

Quote:I understand completely.  I was once a mod on a different board/forum and I know exactly what you guys deal with.

Sorry rollerjag, my last "off-topic" comment here.  You are the OP of this thread, and part of your topic is stating why the other was shut down.

No problem, I removed that post and let this discussion continue.
Quote:But its words, man.....just words.....and the filters stop and curse words from emanating....

I dunno, I don't see the big issue. 
Of course you don't.  You're not moderating this board and having to deal with all of the garbage that shouldn't wind up here.  Feel free to continue talking about religion though if it makes you feel more liberated. 
Quote:Typical......
C'mon now.  You've done this job, so you understand exactly what our position is.  If someone feels compelled to take the ISIS discussion back down the religious road, there are other venues where that's perfectly acceptable.  This isn't one of them.
So let me try my final post again.

TMD plenty of civilizations have moderates including the Middle East. There was even different cultures in Syria until we armed ISIS to take on Assad now one of those civilizations that was there for thousands of years has been wiped out by radicals. It's not a belief system it's the radicalization of cultures. The big gets problem is the United Nations and the United States have put into power the most radical elements all across the Middle East.

Western civilization in an attempt to modernize and ancient culture put in power the worse elements lumping them all into one category is impossible.

It's a very diverse region both good and bad.
Quote:So let me try my final post again.

TMD plenty of civilizations have moderates including the Middle East. There was even different cultures in Syria until we armed ISIS to take on Assad now one of those civilizations that was there for thousands of years has been wiped out by radicals. It's not a belief system it's the radicalization of cultures. The big gets problem is the United Nations and the United States have put into power the most radical elements all across the Middle East.

Western civilization in an attempt to modernize and ancient culture put in power the worse elements lumping them all into one category is impossible.

Pretty much this. Arming of rebels seems to never work out. At least not in recent history. 
Quote:So let me try my final post again.

I thought it was more of an uprising like in Egypt a few years ago. Not sure why we were in such a hurry to get Assad out of there to begin with or the others....as bad as Hussein, Khadafi, Assad and the Egypt guy (forget his name) were, at least there was stability in the region at that point. Better the devil you know...

Pages: 1 2 3 4