Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blake is a lefty that throws right handed - part of his struggles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was looking around and stumbled upon this article on Blake while he was still at UCF:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/bow...wn-no-more

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(72,73,74);margin-left:40px;">Though it looks foolhardy now, there are reasons recruiters missed on Bortles. He started the first half of his sophomore season at defensive back before coaches moved him to quarterback. At the time, Oviedo ran the wing-T, not the best offense to showcase his skill set.

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(72,73,74);margin-left:40px;">Bortles also played baseball, where he batted and threw left-handed. (He also is a lefty on the golf course.)

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(72,73,74);">I get that people can be ambidextrous, and can be successful with it.  My son is left eye dominant who bats lefty, swings a golf club lefty, and prefers to kick with his left foot in soccer.  However, he throws right handed.  It was a challenge getting his form correct because although he instinctively picked up the ball and threw it with his right arm, his footwork was backwards - he also wanted to step with his right leg.

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(72,73,74);">Perhaps some of Blake's struggle with mechanics is simply because he's not a "natural" right handed thrower.  Should that be the case, it's kind of frustrating that he wouldn't be more cognizant and place more emphasis on mechanics himself when working in the offseason.

Good God, what was Dave Caldwell thinking drafting a project at #3 with Mack on the board?

No wonder all the mechanic issues.

You should see me throw a ball left handed...it ain't pretty.

I throw with my left hand fine.   Not so much, with the right hand. 

Are you left handed?

Quote:Are you left handed?
Of course.  See right hand ,not so much.   But the question I would ask Blake is this?  Why not throw with your left hand?  
Wow!!! You got to be kidding me.. Lol and this guy is our franchise Qb?? Unbelievable... Get rid of them all Khan..
This was Bortles prior to switching over to throwing right handed.

[Image: 1391993516004-2014-02-09-Jared-Lorenzen5.jpg]

I dont really know if this is a problem seeing that he has a cannon for a right arm, usually that is problem more than mechanics. I think as much as hes thrown this isnt really an issue.

Seems to me, that if you throw a baseball left handed...you should probably throw a football left handed.  But hey, I'm no quarterbacks coach.

Quote:I dont really know if this is a problem seeing that he has a cannon for a right arm, usually that is problem more than mechanics. I think as much as hes thrown this isnt really an issue.
Yea,  He probably is more comfortable.  

Throwing with his right hand. 
Quote:Seems to me, that if you throw a baseball left handed...you should probably throw a football left handed.  But hey, I'm no quarterbacks coach.
Anyone have his baseball stats?
Phil Mickelson does everything right handed except play golf where he is a lefty.  So you can be elite using your non dominant hand.  I'm assuming Bortles has been throwing a football right handed for most of his life.  Would seem peculiar for him walk into his high school starting QB job and all of a sudden say he wants to learn to throw right handed.

He threw left as well? I thought he just hit left and swung lefty.... smh
I'm somewhat ambidextrous. I do a lot of stuff with my dominant right hand and leg but when I played basketball I was much more accurate on layups and hook shots with my left hand. When I played soccer I shot/passed a lot with my left. Even on crosses and corners I would take them with my left foot more often than not. It possible that he's like this, A lot of athletes are.
I'm right footed, left handed when I write, right handed when I golf , right handed in tennis but then ambidextrous in others.
You people are weird. I just drag along the left side of my body, almost stroke like.

Me too H8...my left hand and left foot are good for absolutely nothing.

I wonder which hand he holds a beverage in?  Anyone ever snag a photo of him holding a water bottle or something?

This reminds me of my brother. He's technically left handed but for sports of any kind and playing video games, he favors his right.

When I was playing volleyball, I spent two years trying to make myself be able to hit left handed since I was a weak side hitter...that didn't go so well to put it mildly.
Pages: 1 2 3