Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Kelvin Beachum roasts Gus, says its all about winning and nothing else.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
https://twitter.com/BrentASJax/status/81...2049347585

This is the mindset we need. Not that BS Paul Posluszny spews week in and week out about how he loves the culture and Gus is so great. It's about winning. No more of this "just get better" mentality should be around. 

Guy came off an ACL and had his ups and downs, but I fully expect the version I saw in Pittsburgh next year. With major injuries like this it's generally more of a 2 year thing than 1 for big guys like this. Alex Mack had a terrible season in Cleveland last year coming off surgery and now had one hell of a year in ATL after getting fully healthy

I'm just happy we got guys like Beachum, Malik, Ramsey, etc. in this locker room. We need more guys like this.

If you think Poz doesn't think it's all about winning, you're dense.
Quote:If you think Poz doesn't think it's all about winning, you're dense.
Have you listened to a single one of his interviews? Of course he wants to win, as does every single player, doesn't mean you ever hear any fire about all the losing he has suffered. He never speaks up about it. He has always been a prime backer of Gus and keeping the atmosphere he had here which was obviously toxic. Multiple players, including Big Roy who seemed to like Gus, has said that the team has had a "lax" attitude. Yet, Paul Posluszny is at the front of the line in keeping this atmostphere here that has resulted in a 4 year record of the worst winning % of all time.

Not to mention Posluszny has never had ONE winning season in his career.

I just don't think he wanted to stir the pot while Gus was coach. Nobody did. They're all talking NOW. I don't think it's in Poz's character to trash talk anyone.
Quote:I just don't think he wanted to stir the pot while Gus was coach. Nobody did. They're all talking NOW. I don't think it's in Poz's character to [NO SYNONYM?] talk anyone.
He went out of his way in interviews saying its the players time to "keep the way this organization is being run the same way, it's a special type of atmosphere." I've heard him say it on multiple occasions. None of those interviews that I remember seeing did a reporter ask him what he thought of Gus. He said we need to start winning to keep the way things are being run in tact.

I'm sorry, but I can't get behind that. Not when it's obvious with the players speaking out about all the problems that were obviously in this organization. Not when there never seemed to be much of a "winning attitude" stemming from Gus. I mean good lord, Beachum said after last week that the biggest difference about Marrone compared to Gus is that Marrone preaches winning. Like good lord! "We need to keep this situation in tact, it's special that not many teams have." Yeah, I'd say so. Most coaches care about wins and losses. Not "just getting better."
Quite a letdown for a roast.
Quote:Quite a letdown for a roast.
He literally quotes all the sayings that Gus says like "just get better, we have to get it right soon, atta boy" and says those aren't options for the next coach as you can't win in the NFL with a mentality like that. Gus wasn't focused on winning, Gus wasn't focused on winning the AFC South or giving these fans something to cheer for. We need someone that does. 

Sorry, I guess?
Poz isn't the one to ruffle feathers. He knows what football is about. Not sure how we got to the point where we're blaming Poz for the culture around there. 

So now Poz is garbage?
Quote:Poz isn't the one to ruffle feathers. He knows what football is about. Not sure how we got to the point where we're blaming Poz for the culture around there. 

I have no problem with not wanting to ruffle feathers. But there was multiple times in his interviews where he went out of his way the last couple years to talk about how great things are here and how Gus preaches to just get better.

Maybe it's just me I guess, but I just don't see how any professional player can be okay with that. Literally every new player that comes in, especially this year, have continued to come out saying how the mentality here is nothing like any other franchise. I'd say that has something to do with the way Gus ran things here, and why we have had such a terrible record since he's been here.

Quote:So now Poz is garbage?

Has zero to do with Poz as a player. Has all to do with the mentality of the players in the organization. 
Quote:Have you listened to a single one of his interviews? Of course he wants to win, as does every single player, doesn't mean you ever hear any fire about all the losing he has suffered. He never speaks up about it. He has always been a prime backer of Gus and keeping the atmosphere he had here which was obviously toxic. Multiple players, including Big Roy who seemed to like Gus, has said that the team has had a "lax" attitude. Yet, Paul Posluszny is at the front of the line in keeping this atmostphere here that has resulted in a 4 year record of the worst winning % of all time.

Not to mention Posluszny has never had ONE winning season in his career.

Do all you want to tear down Bradley  -- but demonizing Posluszny is missing the mark.  He left it all on the field every week.

Don't fault the guy for not throwing his coach under the bus.

It's called "character" and he seems to have it in spades. 

Myles Jack has also gushed about Poz's unselfish mentorship to a half dozen reporters this season.  You may want to rethink the Poz bashing stance.

There are enough folks that actually deserve blame - don't waste your time aiming it at Paul Posluszny.  

Quote:Do all you want to tear down Bradley  -- but demonizing Posluszny is missing the mark.  He left it all on the field every week.

Myles Jack has has also gushed about Poz's unselfish mentorship to a half dozen reporters this season.  You may want to rethink the Poz bashing stance.

There are enough folks that actually deserve plenty more blame than Paul Posluszny.  
Thread wasn't meant to demoralize Posluszny, was more to talk about how Beachum's mentality is something this team needs and something our veterans haven't brought. Unfortunately, the first posts took that as the only thing from my post and this thread has become strictly about him.

Posluszny is one of whom has been very vocal in his liking for the atmosphere, that obviously isn't the atmosphere a professional organization should have, is run.

I never expected Poz to come out and hate on Gus. That's fine if he likes him and thinks he's a great coach. There's no doubting Gus is an amazing guy, but as a football coach people need to be responsible and he was responsible for some terribly ran teams and Poz would often come out in support (without the reporter asking him his thoughts on him) about how it's so great to play here. Well yeah, when the coach doesn't seem to care about wins but instead just improving on the practice field I can imagine it's awesome to get a paycheck without mattering what the results on Sundays are for. I know Poz put it out there on the field each week and plays his [BAD WORD REMOVED] off, doesn't mean I like how he went out of his way to say how he liked how things were being run here when it was a failure.

Beachum is viewed as one of the most well spoken and respected guys when it comes to listening to a player on the team. I'd say he has plenty of character...but he comes from an organization that knows how to win. He vocalized what the serious problem that was here. So yes, I am happy to see these veterans care as much as they do and talk about why things didn't work.

Quote:Thread wasn't meant to demoralize Posluszny, was more to talk about how Beachum's mentality is something this team needs and something our veterans haven't brought. Unfortunately, the first posts took that as the only thing from my post and this thread has become strictly about him.

Posluszny is one of whom has been very vocal in his liking for the atmosphere, that obviously isn't the atmosphere a professional organization should have, is run.

I never expected Poz to come out and hate on Gus. That's fine if he likes him and thinks he's a great coach. There's no doubting Gus is an amazing guy, but as a football coach people need to be responsible and he was responsible for some terribly ran teams and Poz would often come out in support (without the reporter asking him his thoughts on him) about how it's so great to play here. Well yeah, when the coach doesn't seem to care about wins but instead just improving on the practice field I can imagine it's awesome to get a paycheck without mattering what the results on Sundays are for. I know Poz put it out there on the field each week and plays his [BAD WORD REMOVED] off, doesn't mean I like how he went out of his way to say how he liked how things were being run here when it was a failure.

Beachum is viewed as one of the most well spoken and respected guys when it comes to listening to a player on the team. I'd say he has plenty of character...but he comes from an organization that knows how to win. He vocalized what the serious problem that was here. So yes, I am happy to see these veterans care as much as they do and talk about why things didn't work.

1.  You are reaching pretty hard with this "went out of his way" narrative. 

2. You sound like you don't grasp the concept of being part of a "team." 
Quote:1.  You are reaching pretty hard with this "went out of his way" narrative. 

2. You sound like you don't grasp the concept of being part of a "team." 

1. I'm reaching? Agree to disagree I guess. 

2. I most definitely grasp the part of being a team. I played sports. Apparently most of our team doesn't grasp the concept of being a team as Martineau and co. continue putting quotes from veterans as well as young players on twitter saying how the new coach has to be pretty much the complete opposite of Gus because you can't win in the NFL with that mentality. I don't care if Poz defended Gus during interviews. I get that. But talking about how "it's special" here in Jacksonville because of the way he runs things? Sorry, but I'm not going to buy that/get on board with that. If you do, great, not I.

Go out in an interview and express support for Gus? Zero problems. Bortles did that multiple times this season as did a lot of the team. Obviously I don't want to see a player roasting a coach. I was upset when Marks came out and talked trash about the staff earlier in the year. My one and only grip is how Poz always referred to the atmosphere as something that isn't the norm and how he wanted to protect it and keep it going. I just don't see how any player can go out of his way to say stuff like that when it was obviously not working and appears seemed to be toxic to the whole team and caused the team to underachieve and play with a "lax" play style.

Quote:Do all you want to tear down Bradley -- but demonizing Posluszny is missing the mark. He left it all on the field every week.

Myles Jack has also gushed about Poz's unselfish mentorship to a half dozen reporters this season. You may want to rethink the Poz bashing stance.

There are enough folks that actually deserve blame - don't waste your time aiming it at Paul Posluszny.

Exactly. Poz played his butt off every week and was as high of character guy as I've ever seen. But lets criticize Poz for not openly throwing his coaches under the bus.

Unbelievable.
Quote:1. I'm reaching? Agree to disagree I guess. 

2. I most definitely grasp the part of being a team. I played sports. Apparently most of our team doesn't grasp the concept of being a team as Martineau and co. continue putting quotes from veterans as well as young players on twitter saying how the new coach has to be pretty much the complete opposite of Gus because you can't win in the NFL with that mentality. I don't care if Poz defended Gus during interviews. I get that. But talking about how "it's special" here in Jacksonville because of the way he runs things? Sorry, but I'm not going to buy that/get on board with that. If you do, great, not I.

I'll say one last thing in the spirit of coming closer to agreement here and then move on.

Bradley's failure was frustrating enough to this fan base to cause many reactions and plenty of anger. His failure was even great enough that I don't mind some players speaking out against his culture or their misuse. Normally I'd frown on that stuff.  But Bradley's failure makes me more understanding of it in this instance.  

Not faulting guys like Beachum, Gipson and Ramsey for being outspoken and/or throwing staff under the bus is one thing. I can get that. 

Faulting another player for being an ideal "team player" and taking the high road with the media is just misplaced anger on your part, IMO.  

Quote:I'll say one last thing in the spirit of coming closer to agreement here and then move on.

Bradley's failure was frustrating enough to this fan base to cause many reactions and plenty of anger. His failure was even great enough that I don't mind some players speaking out against his culture or their misuse. Normally I'd frown on that stuff.  But Bradley's failure makes me more understanding of it in this instance.  

Not faulting guys like Beachum, Gipson and Ramsey for being outspoken and/or throwing staff under the bus is one thing. I can get that. 

Faulting another player for being an ideal "team player" and taking the high road with the media is just misplaced anger on your part, IMO.  
Hope you get my last paragraph. Edited it while you were typing this up I assume.

I guess I just don't like seeing guys that just fall into place, especially veterans. I like to see some fire in players. You generally see that in the great teams. They continue losing/not being successful? They speak up about it and rally the troops. Obviously we don't see things behind closed doors and Poz is well respected, but he's never been on a winning roster and it just doesn't seem to me like he has brought/brings what I describe above. If he has, then I guess I'm wrong. 

This doesn't mean that he is accepting how we've played or isn't [BAD WORD REMOVED] when we lose. But I don't like the way he has talked about Gus.Like I said, zero problems with him defending him, but the "atmosphere" comments he has made time and time again will always rub me the wrong way. I just don't see that changing. It's been talked about since Gus got here, but you see these same veterans come out and speak about how it's different and obviously isn't a way to win in this league after the season/sometimes even during the season. 

Skuta literally just came out and said the same thing now too.

Edit: This doesn't mean I hate Poz or think he's a bad player to have here, but I'm sure as heck happy to see players take a different approach than Poz has consistently done. Like I said, has nothing to do with him liking Gus. If it was, Bortles and co. have been plenty supportive right up until the end too.

Poz actually has to face a camera and speaks in front of a microphone when he does these interviews, he can't openly trash a co-worker or boss, he has to jus give these canned statements

The outlet for him to voice his opinions is different from us and this messageboard lol
The small print on right side is golden.  No option to get better.  Jax deserves a playoff team.  If don't win.  We don't have a job.  If Jax don't want to win. There are other teams that do.  So yea Love what he said and to the point. 

Poz is a model professional but for better or worse the last thing I can see him doing is undermine his HC.
Pages: 1 2 3