Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Do you think the rookie Receivers are our future X, Y, and Z receivers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, and Marqise Lee

I know this question is dependent on how well they play and progress, but It's food for thought. It would be crucial to our success if we found our top 3 receivers and our Franchise QB in one draft.

Do you think this gives the Jags leverage in negotiation talks with Shorts? I think they are bringing Robinson along slow because of the emergence of Hurns.

So let's say they play well and show enough In the regular season to give the Jags confidence in their ability, what happens with Shorts, Sanders, and Brown (knowing Brown is a long shot even now)
Yes.

Yeah I think they're the future, with Shorts getting a three-ish year deal as a solid contributor and Ace sticking around for PR and gadget stuff. I think Lee will be the number 1 (defined as having the speed to beat the defense deep), Robinson will be the 2 (red-zone target and shorter routes with YAC) and Hurns could easily back either up.

Although positional flexibility is such a thing in our offense that I could see all three playing all three positions.

I hope The out Hurns in the slot where he'd be most effective
Quite possibly. I have all but gone hoarse screaming that Marqise is not an outside WR in the NFL. As we saw on his TD in preseason week 2, he would be best used in the slot when he can use his short area quickness (his only above average trait) to get linebackers and nicklebacks turned around.

Robinson as the X, Hurns (or Shorts) as the Z, with Marqise in the slot is the best utilization we could throw out there IMO. 

KY just curious as to why you're saying his short area quickness is his only above average trait? In college (even during his inured days) he repeatedly showcased deep speed that was anything but average. In fact I would say that Robinson has more experience/talent in the short game due to his being utilized in that role to great extent at PSU.

Regardless we have three young receivers with potential and the best WR coach in the business. Not to mention a young gun just waiting to give them the ball.

Quote:Quite possibly. I have all but gone hoarse screaming that Marqise is not an outside WR in the NFL. As we saw on his TD in preseason week 2, he would be best used in the slot when he can use his short area quickness (his only above average trait) to get linebackers and nicklebacks turned around.

Robinson as the X, Hurns (or Shorts) as the Z, with Marqise in the slot is the best utilization we could throw out there IMO. 

Absolutely!!!!

You put the TALLER/ bigger WR of Hurns/ Robinson on the outside, and Lee in the slot. 

And to answer the OP question - no doubt those 3 are the future X, Y & Z WR, so lets make the future now since its not a playoff year anyway. 
Quote:Absolutely!!!!

You put the TALLER/ bigger WR of Hurns/ Robinson on the outside, and Lee in the slot. 

And to answer the OP question - no doubt those 3 are the future X, Y & Z WR, so lets make the future now since its not a playoff year anyway. 
Is that a vague "trade Shorts" hint? You sly dog you...

Yes, the future of our WR corp would seem to be rostered with Robinson, Lee, and Hurns... Lee is clearly a slot guy, why everyone wants to line him up outside is beyond me. Even noting his "deep threat speed" if you line him up in the the slot you then put a LB or S on him, who can't match that speed. Or a nickel corner at worst.

We can't make the "future now" because of Robinson's injury... even if he is healthy now, it'll take awhile for him to catch up. Also, rookie WRs rarely show much in their first years.... I don't exactly want to roll out 3 rookie WRs to start the season, playoffs or not.

Shorts and Hurns start. Lee in the slot. Robinson as a 4th.... Doss/Brown/Taylor (2 outta 3) round it out, when Sanders returns someone gets the axe.

Looking ahead, I see Shorts walking (as long as the rooks progress enough).

If Sanders keeps his record clean next season he'll be our clear #4, PR, end-a-rounds, "trick pony".

And our 5th receiver likely will be Brown if he continues to impress the coaches with his "jack of all trades master of none" profile.

Blackmon is the Wild Card, if he cleans his act up and gets reinstated maybe we roll with 6 WRs again next year.... But I am doubtful that guy plays another NFL snap.
Quote:Is that a vague "trade Shorts" hint? You sly dog you...

Yes, the future of our WR corp would seem to be rostered with Robinson, Lee, and Hurns... Lee is clearly a slot guy, why everyone wants to line him up outside is beyond me. Even noting his "deep threat speed" if you line him up in the the slot you then put a LB or S on him, who can't match that speed. Or a nickel corner at worst.

We can't make the "future now" because of Robinson's injury... even if he is healthy now, it'll take awhile for him to catch up. Also, rookie WRs rarely show much in their first years.... I don't exactly want to roll out 3 rookie WRs to start the season, playoffs or not.

Shorts and Hurns start. Lee in the slot. Robinson as a 4th.... Doss/Brown/Taylor (2 outta 3) round it out, when Sanders returns someone gets the axe.

Looking ahead, I see Shorts walking (as long as the rooks progress enough).

If Sanders keeps his record clean next season he'll be our clear #4, PR, end-a-rounds, "trick pony".

And our 5th receiver likely will be Brown if he continues to impress the coaches with his "jack of all trades master of none" profile.

Blackmon is the Wild Card, if he cleans his act up and gets reinstated maybe we roll with 6 WRs again next year.... But I am doubtful that guy plays another NFL snap.

Blackmon would be/ is seen as a bonus in that scenario. If he comes back, great! That would be a good problem to have. 
I sure hope so but I think the odds of all three panning out long term is probably not good. It'd be an added bonus if they did though.
Odds are one of them is going to bust, so I'll say no.  But one can only hope.

I'm trying not to look at Blackmon as an asset because he always lets me down
Quote:I'm trying not to look at Blackmon as an asset because he always lets me down

Why is this still brought up?  He hasn't been an asset for a long time and you knew that status wasn't going to change any time soon.  And now especially because of his recent arrest it'll probably be longer because he's an idiot.  Move on.
Quote:KY just curious as to why you're saying his short area quickness is his only above average trait? In college (even during his inured days) he repeatedly showcased deep speed that was anything but average. In fact I would say that Robinson has more experience/talent in the short game due to his being utilized in that role to great extent at PSU.

Regardless we have three young receivers with potential and the best WR coach in the business. Not to mention a young gun just waiting to give them the ball.

You dont put big receivers in the slot. You put them where they can make contested catches on the outside. The slot position is for speedy guys who can get open running horizontally and make yards after the catch. With that said, Slot receivers also can still go downfield in the middle. Something Lee and Shorts are particularly great at. If Lee starts to catch on, I expect Shorts to be traded or let hit the open market (which would be a waste of a free draft pick via trade)

Quote:Why is this still brought up?  He hasn't been an asset for a long time and you knew that status wasn't going to change any time soon.  And now especially because of his recent arrest it'll probably be longer because he's an idiot.  Move on.

You know, I get you. I just don't get why you're quoting my post as if I initially brought it up. Post #8 did, and I wanted to chime in. It probably gets brought because he's still on the team and is arguably the most talented jaguar still. No need for the aggression
Quote:You dont put big receivers in the slot. You put them where they can make contested catches on the outside. The slot position is for speedy guys who can get open running horizontally and make yards after the catch. With that said, Slot receivers also can still go downfield in the middle. Something Lee and Shorts are particularly great at. If Lee starts to catch on, I expect Shorts to be traded or let hit the open market (which would be a waste of a free draft pick via trade)

ding ding ding ding friggin ding!! :thumbsup: 
Quote:KY just curious as to why you're saying his short area quickness is his only above average trait? In college (even during his inured days) he repeatedly showcased deep speed that was anything but average. In fact I would say that Robinson has more experience/talent in the short game due to his being utilized in that role to great extent at PSU.

I just don't think Marqise has the skill set to regularly beat an NFL cornerback downfield. I think he will get abused in press, first of all. It's extremely rare to find an Antonio Brown type small/slight WR that is able to get off the jam consistently. I also don't think he is any faster than the average NFL cornerback. I also haven't seen anything that makes me think he will make contested catches on the sidelines, outside the 'red lines' that Carroll/Bradley love to talk about. 

Being in the slot doesn't necessarily mean they are only utilized in short passes. Using the slot to stretch the field against linebackers and safeties has been getting more and more popular lately, starting when Kevin Gilbride used Victor Cruz to stretch the field a ton from the slot in his 2011 breakout season. I have said that is how I would use Marqise (Cruz is also who I think Lee is most comparable to physically). I think it's the obvious role that Lee could thrive in. 
I bet one busts, one is plagued by injuries, and the other turns into a really solid starter for us.  Who becomes who I do not know.  But the odds all three turn into really good productive players is unlikely just based on the odds.

Quote:You dont put big receivers in the slot. You put them where they can make contested catches on the outside. The slot position is for speedy guys who can get open running horizontally and make yards after the catch. With that said, Slot receivers also can still go downfield in the middle. Something Lee and Shorts are particularly great at. If Lee starts to catch on, I expect Shorts to be traded or let hit the open market (which would be a waste of a free draft pick via trade)

Someone better let Sean Payton and Jim Harbaugh know this.
Quote:Someone better let Sean Payton and Jim Harbaugh know this.
You beat me to it! 
Pages: 1 2 3