Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Repeat of 1996 season?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In the book Jags to Riches by John Oehser and Pete Prisco, which first tells the story about Jacksonville's long road to joining the NFL but is mostly about our "Cinderella season" in 1996, therei s this point of emphasis: everyone expected us to be a playoff team "next year." Most people doubted our chances of being good in 1996 but the majority of media guys thought we could make a splash in 1997. This was a year after the season that we sported a new logo and new uniforms and got a lot of new guys on both the player and coach rosters.

Surprise! Right when we were standing at death's door we started winning every week and, with Morten Andersen's help, clinched the #5 seed in the AFC playoffs a year before everyone except the Jaguars expected us to be a playoff team.

Fast-forward to 2013. Oehser said during our uniform unveiling it feels like 1995 again. I felt the same way after reading about new players and coaches, and executives; new logos and uniforms with a new material, font type, and design; and the smart decision to get a new scoreboard. I temporarily had 2013 in my username because that year was the beginning of a new era in Jacksonville.

What about this year? After having one of the best drafts in the NFL - everyone gave David Caldwell an A on NFL.com - and deciding to redshirt Blake Bortles, all we are reading and hearing about our playoff chances now is the same thing people said in 1996: "The Jaguars are one year away."

See the pattern here? We have one of the NFL's easiest schedules because of the division we play in, so the only reason people are pessimistic about this season is the decision to redshirt Bortles. Of course some other positions still have to be upgraded, which is why I am not ready to call us a 9-7 team and #2 in the AFCS, but that's the biggest reason. But if history is repeating itself, we can surprise some people. I think we will show more signs of life than we did last year before Bortles takes over.

Why does every reasonably expected non playoff season have to be compared to 1996?  Wallbash 

That was a once in a lifetime occurrence. Let it rest in peace. 

We had some real good veterans that year plus Mark was in his 4th year I believe. If not for sure 3rd. All that said I told my wife this is the best it will ever be when we were at the Stadium at 2 am watching the team return from Denver.

An alternative title for this thread is ' Woody Paige Part Two? '

Quote:Why does every reasonably expected non-playoff season have to be compared to 1996?

That was a once in a lifetime occurrence. Let it rest in peace. 

I never compared any other year to 1996. What are you talking about? All I am saying is the media may be setting us up for another improbable playoff run. Not realistic, but it could happen.
Quote:An alternative title for this thread is ' Woody Paige Part Two? '
"Jagwads"

Welcome back JW.

I actually agree with TMD. 1996 was a once in a lifetime occurrence that will most likely never be repeated by any NFL team ever again. A hollywood film crew could not have come up with the script for the 1996 Jaguars. The Jags should solely be focused on the present, and building their own new legacies. 

Quote:Welcome back JW.

I actually agree with TMD. 1996 was a once in a lifetime occurrence that will most likely never be repeated by any NFL team ever again. A hollywood film crew could not have come up with the script for the 1996 Jaguars. The Jags should solely be focused on the present, and building their own new legacies. 

But similar movie scripts have already been made, right? You would think Hollywood decided to make a Jags to Riches movie if nothing like it had ever been produced.

But although 1996 was certainly an anomaly in sports history, there is no reason not to have the same attitude coming in - the idea that anything is possible and the Jags can surprise some people - and keep your hopes up that even if we look horrible early on, we can turn things around later. Does that mean I expect it? Of course not. I'm just trying to be more optimistic about this season knowing Chad Henne is the starter by default and Justin Blackmon probably will never be available.
ah... uh... playoffs? PLAYOFFS?! You kiddin' me? Playoffs...? I just hope we win a game.

1996 was a unique experience.  It's not going to be replicated. 

Quote:I never compared any other year to 1996. What are you talking about? All I am saying is the media may be setting us up for another improbable playoff run. Not realistic, but it could happen.

It's conceivable I suppose but the chances of it coming down the same way (i.e. the final play of the regular season) is remote. And even if we did, it wouldn't feel the same. We're jaded now, back then everything was new and fresh. Now most of us are old and stale. ;-) it would still be fun if we could somehow buck the odds though.
Quote:1996 was a unique experience. It's not going to be replicated.
Even after living in a major sports city for 27 years, that 1996 run is/was the coolest thing I have EVER seen.
This year could be it's own epic story about a rookie QB who wasn't ready.

I'm with the OP. Anything can happen. Why not us?
Quote:It's conceivable I suppose but the chances of it coming down the same way (i.e. the final play of the regular season) is remote. And even if we did, it wouldn't feel the same. We're jaded now, back then everything was new and fresh. Now most of us are old and stale. ;-) it would still be fun if we could somehow buck the odds though.

You are totally missing the point. I specifically referred to how last year was like 1995 in the sense that in many ways we were nearly starting over again and a year later, the media is saying "one more year" until we reach the playoffs. How is that not obvious to everyone? I did not say anything about this season going almost the same way that one did.
Quote:You are totally missing the point. I specifically referred to how last year was like 1995 in the sense that in many ways we were nearly starting over again and a year later, the media is saying "one more year" until we reach the playoffs. How is that not obvious to everyone? I did not say anything about this season going almost the same way that one did.
Hopefully we're talking about the 2014 season as a stand alone story for this team because I don't get the feeling it's going to be anything like 1996. 
How many times do I have to tell everyone here this.   please read this post again.

9-7 Book it!!!!!!!! I have no doubt.

Quote:How many times do I have to tell everyone here this.   please read this post again.

9-7 Book it!!!!!!!! I have no doubt.
What book?
The Jaguars are about to start their 20th season. How can they relive a season that won't happen for another 1976 years?

Quote:The Jaguars are about to start their 20th season. How can they relive a season that won't happen for another 1976 years?
How many actual cat lives is that considering they get 9 each?  219 or so?

Quote:You are totally missing the point. I specifically referred to how last year was like 1995 in the sense that in many ways we were nearly starting over again and a year later, the media is saying "one more year" until we reach the playoffs. How is that not obvious to everyone? I did not say anything about this season going almost the same way that one did.

I think the "Repeat of 1996?" title threw some folks off.
Pages: 1 2