Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Corey Grant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Corey Grant's performance yesterday was very impressive. How much of this was due to the Colt's poor defense and the game being pretty much meaningless to them? Going forward, did this performance possibly change what the Jaguars should do in the draft? Even prior to his breakout game, I could not see the Jaguars taking a running back until the mid-rounds due to their needs at offensive line, pass rush, and competition for Bortles. When Ivory wasn't fumbling and not injured, he looked good. Yeldon may never be elite, but he is a decent complementary back to Ivory, especially once the offensive line improves next year. I don't see Caldwell or the new coach getting rid of these 2 guys or Grant, so I say they need to wait til round 5 or 6 and hopefully find a guy with potential who they can develop. This is probably the easiest position to have success in the mid to late rounds. This year alone, guys like Howard, Dixon, Kelley, etc showed great promise. So, as great as Cook looked against Michigan or Fournette looked much of this season, I say pass on these guys when the draft comes around.

I dunno I'd still be okay with Cook or even Fournette even if we took ether of them early
He was pretty solid against a defense that is weak against the run. It certainly didn't hurt. That long run he broke off for a TD was all on him.

The blocking all went to the right but his vision and break away speed did the rest of the work on the left side. Some of that ability he flashed yesterday can't be taught. You either have it or you don't as a runner. 

I take Corey Grant's performance for what it was. A good day against a very, very bad run defense. Pretty much every starting RB has a solid performance against the Colts. I wouldn't read into it too much. We still desperately need a starting RB and upgrades on the O-Line.

I thought Grant also looked good last week too. For now, I think the Jags are fine at RB. Rebuild the offensive line this offseason and see how good Yeldon, Ivory, and Grant are in 2017
Just waiting on Jags02 to see this.  :woot:

He had been vouching for this dude on here for a long time. 

I believe that Cory got what he needed and that is true playing time, and not a one run and done opportunity.

He looks like he can be an effective back. Also, now that Ivory will have the off season to heal, I would expect him

to come back strong. With that being said, Yeldon, Ivory, and Grant, should come back with a draft pick. Robinson and all others will 

be gone.

Grant could be a decent #2 or change of pace back. He's certainly not a bell cow as evident by all the times he got bottled up in short yardage. Pair him with Dalvin Cook and he should be successful.
He showed more field vision than I recall him demonstrating prior to that game. I thought he was severely lacking in vision prior to Sunday.

And he showed a bit more grit by breaking a few tackles  --   something I don't recall ever seeing him do with the Jaguars.

Fluke?  Maybe.  He looked pretty good though. Definitely showed off the speed. 
Quote: And he showed a bit more grit by breaking a few tackles -- something I don't recall ever seeing him do with the Jaguars.

That's what I noticed most. Last year and even preseason this year, a light wind would tackle him.
I thought he looked like a real good back, not a great back, but a real good one.   I'd like to have a great back in addition to a good back.   But I agree with everyone who says the offensive line has a lot more to do with success in the running game than the running back does.   Personally, I hope we make a major investment in the offensive line this offseason.  If we don't do that, there's no point in drafting a premium running back. 

Grant can hit the homerun.Been a while since we had a back that could do that
He impressed me and that takes a lot to do. 

Quote:I take Corey Grant's performance for what it was. A good day against a very, very bad run defense. Pretty much every starting RB has a solid performance against the Colts. I wouldn't read into it too much. We still desperately need a starting RB and upgrades on the O-Line.
Yeldon had 74 yds vs the Colts in London. Grant IMO should be our unquestioned 2nd string rb next year. 
Quote:Yeldon had 74 yds vs the Colts in London. Grant IMO should be our unquestioned 2nd string rb next year.

Based off of one game? Didn't Denard Robinson have like 3 straight 100 yard games then proceeded to fall off a cliff? Let's not be so quick to place a crown on Grant's head.
He could be a good change of pace guy. That's about it.
Quote:He could be a good change of pace guy. That's about it.
Love to see more of him. Before made that assumption. With better coaching. 
Grant should have been playing..
He's not even in the same galaxy of player as the top 5 guys in this draft.
Quote:He showed more field vision than I recall him demonstrating prior to that game. I thought he was severely lacking in vision prior to Sunday.

And he showed a bit more grit by breaking a few tackles  --   something I don't recall ever seeing him do with the Jaguars.

Fluke?  Maybe.  He looked pretty good though. Definitely showed off the speed. 

Thats basically what I saw out of him.  Durability wise I think he wouldn't hold up the whole season as a feature back but he made some nice cuts yesterday and broke some tackles he hadn't before.  Even outran the Colts safety Green who is a 4.3 guy on his long run.  You could tell they tailored the offense for him though and it almost resulted in a pick six at one point.  He is a good little player I think he deserves about 10-15 snaps a game.  If we had a better Oline I'd roll with him till the wheels fell off.  
Pages: 1 2 3