Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: It could be the same QB decision made in 2007
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gus has stuck to his "Henne is the starter" but nobody is buying it.

Jeff Saturday and the rest of the talking heads are asking how do you keep Bortles on the bench with the performance he is having this preseason.

Henne surely won't be cut but Bortles is forcing their hand.

A lights out game against Detroit, will all but shut the door on the coach's original plan.

Bortles is showing them he doesn't need to sit. At this point, he is our best chance of winning and that is what it will come down to.
This new Jaguars leadership team is smart. They know what they're doing and the decision was probably made a long time ago when Bortles would start. If they make Bortles sit it'll be viewed as a good developmental decision. If/Since Bortles is putting in a solid pre season and is named the starter AND he starts successfully, it'll be viewed as a great managerial draft decision. It's a win win. This is an exciting time to be a Jags fan!
Quote:This new Jaguars leadership team is smart. They know what they're doing and the decision was probably made a long time ago when Bortles would start. If they make Bortles sit it'll be viewed as a good developmental decision. If/Since Bortles is putting in a solid pre season and is named the starter AND he starts successfully, it'll be viewed as a great managerial draft decision. It's a win win. This is an exciting time to be a Jags fan!
^^This

When was the last time we had a win/win situation for our team?
Remember that time the starter was cut a week before the season? It's going to be like that except he isn't going to be cut.

Quote:Gus has stuck to his "Henne is the starter" but nobody is buying it.

Jeff Saturday and the rest of the talking heads are asking how do you keep Bortles on the bench with the performance he is having this preseason.

Henne surely won't be cut but Bortles is forcing their hand.

A lights out game against Detroit, will all but shut the door on the coach's original plan.

Bortles is showing them he doesn't need to sit. At this point, he is our best chance of winning and that is what it will come down to.

It's been months and still people can't grasp that it isn't about what gives the jaguars the best chance to win this season, but the best chance for winning and success for years to come.

Bortles will sit until his new footwork and playbook comes as 2nd nature.
Jacksonville just resigned Henne, so he isn't going to be cut. I think if things go south quickly( highly unlikely) then they'll be forced to put Bortles in. Truthfully I think Bortles will start only if he's, playing well enough in practice. This should be Henne's best year in Jacksonville. Year one is a learning curve for Bortles. No problem with that.

Gus and Dave have the plan in place. A few knuckleheads shouting" start Bortles" won't change that.
The third preseason game is traditionally the one teams play to win. We'll see how Bortles does against a semi-earnest defensive effort.
Quote:This new Jaguars leadership team is smart. They know what they're doing and the decision was probably made a long time ago when Bortles would start.

That wouldn't be an example of the leadership team being smart. The decision was probably made a long time ago under what conditions Bortles would start, with a range of when they'd like/expect/accept that happening.
Quote:Gus has stuck to his "Henne is the starter" but nobody is buying it.

The thing that I've always said is that I've never seen anyone say that 'Henne is going to be our starter in the first game'.

When he says 'Henne is our starter' I've always thought that was kind of open-ended.

At the time of the question..yeah..he's CURRENTLY the starter.
Quote:Jacksonville just resigned Henne, so he isn't going to be cut. I think if things go south quickly( highly unlikely) then they'll be forced to put Bortles in. Truthfully I think Bortles will start only if he's, playing well enough in practice. This should be Henne's best year in Jacksonville. Year one is a learning curve for Bortles. No problem with that.

Gus and Dave have the plan in place. A few knuckleheads shouting" start Bortles" won't change that.
Exactly. Stick to the plan and let it all unfold over time
Quote:The thing that I've always said is that I've never seen anyone say that 'Henne is going to be our starter in the first game'.

When he says 'Henne is our starter' I've always thought that was kind of open-ended.

At the time of the question..yeah..he's CURRENTLY the starter.
True but they have also said that whoever they draft will sit for a while. 
Quote:True but they have also said that whoever they draft will sit for a while.
Incorrect.

They have been open ended about that as well.

It's ALWAYS been 'the plan is for Henne to start the season'.

Henne could very well end up starting but to think anything is set in stone is foolish. If Bortles shows that he's ready to play he is going to play.

I don't see where that's such a difficult concept.
Quote:Jacksonville just resigned Henne, so he isn't going to be cut. I think if things go south quickly( highly unlikely) then they'll be forced to put Bortles in. Truthfully I think Bortles will start only if he's, playing well enough in practice. This should be Henne's best year in Jacksonville. Year one is a learning curve for Bortles. No problem with that.

Once the season starts, the opportunities for Bortles to win the job in practice is extremely limited based on how the reps are dominated by the starting QB as they install game plans. 

A real concern here is the fact that you've now got your starting RT injured, and you still don't have stability at RG.  I don't see them throwing Bortles out there behind a line that's not completely settled and ready to protect their investment. 
Quote:Once the season starts, the opportunities for Bortles to win the job in practice is extremely limited based on how the reps are dominated by the starting QB as they install game plans. 

A real concern here is the fact that you've now got your starting RT injured, and you still don't have stability at RG.  I don't see them throwing Bortles out there behind a line that's not completely settled and ready to protect their investment. 

I think even if Bortles "wins" the job this pre-season, they will stick with Henne but just for a couple of weeks.  Get the line gelling, and get the receivers back healthy and playing decent football before we put Bortles in.

I do think that sitting Bortles for the entire year is incredibly dumb though.  Not sure what he's going to gain by literally watching the games and only playing with backups and the scout team.
Quote:^^This

When was the last time we had a win/win situation for our team?

Henne isn't a "win" situation for our team.
Quote:Incorrect.

They have been open ended about that as well.

It's ALWAYS been 'the plan is for Henne to start the season'.

Henne could very well end up starting but to think anything is set in stone is foolish. If Bortles shows that he's ready to play he is going to play.

I don't see where that's such a difficult concept.
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10906660

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foot...qb-in-2014

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_...erall-pick

Incorrect. Caldwell stated soon as we drafted Blake he wanted him to sit all year and Henne would be the starter. Couldn't find the like but caldwell said prior to the drafted whoever was drafted would sit. He has stated that Blake would not play until 2015. That is the reason we are having this conversation in the first place and the national media is making a big deal of how the team is handling his development process.

I'm not one to think there is no possibility Blake to play this season or even start this season. I just believe Caldwell feels the owner has given him time and he want to build a farm. Meaning give his qb proper grooming, go through more a few more developmental seasons and acquire more players. This is straight from the horses mouth. And although Blake has been better than anyone has expected I still don't believe he will throw the plan out the window. Now he may adjust it but I just don't see Blake starting the season. Maybe once we are eliminated from the playoffs then he will start is my guess. 
Quote:I think even if Bortles "wins" the job this pre-season, they will stick with Henne but just for a couple of weeks.  Get the line gelling, and get the receivers back healthy and playing decent football before we put Bortles in.

I do think that sitting Bortles for the entire year is incredibly dumb though.  Not sure what he's going to gain by literally watching the games and only playing with backups and the scout team.
I think it is really more about what you stated, letting the line gel the receives settling in. I think thy would like to create some consistency first then gradually slide everyone into place. 
Quote:http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10906660

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foot...qb-in-2014

I'm not one to think there is no possibility Blake to play this season or even start this season. I just believe Caldwell feels the owner has given him time and he want to build a farm. Meaning give his qb proper grooming, go through more a few more developmental seasons and acquire more players. This is straight from the horses mouth. And although Blake has been better than anyone has expected I still don't believe he will throw the plan out the window. Now he may adjust it but I just don't see Blake starting the season. Maybe once we are eliminated from the playoffs then he will start is my guess. 

I'm OK with the plan but as long as Blake does get meaningful playing time in the regular season.  Even if that's 4-5 games, I'd be OK with that.
Quote:I'm OK with the plan but as long as Blake does get meaningful playing time in the regular season.  Even if that's 4-5 games, I'd be OK with that.
Like I said I'm going old school with this one. I feel they will let Chad play until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoff. So somewhere around the bye is my guess. This is just my personally opinion of how I think things will play out. I would like to see Blake play as soon as he's ready but I think Shad has given Caldwell and Bradley the okay to take there time to get it right.   

He should get about 4-5 games to play and prepare him as the starter for next year. I would hope they do that. 
Quote:Like I said I'm going old school with this one. I feel they will let Chad play until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoff. So somewhere around the bye is my guess. This is just my personally opinion of how I think things will play out. I would like to see Blake play as soon as he's ready but I think Shad has given Caldwell and Bradley the okay to take there time to get it right.   

He should get about 4-5 games to play and prepare him as the starter for next year. I would hope they do that. 

But if he's "ready".... not playing him is not going to make him any better IMO.  If he's ready to play, he should play - simple as that, whether that's in week 3 or 13.  The only condition I would use is say that the receivers and O-line should be playing solid football as well before he starts.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7