Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bad-Calls and the NFL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What I got from this game was the NFL has a real problem with touching the QB or the WR. I have NEVER seen a game where they just took over the game. It completely ruined the game.

Is the NFL going to call games like this all year? If so maybe its time to take up fishing again.I don't ever complain about the refs but this was just plain Pathetic and hard to explain to a 12 year old.

BOTH TEAMS BY THE WAY!

It was ridiculous.  The game had 21 penalties but it seemed like even more than that.

It was one of the worst officiated games I have seen. The Mike Harris roughing the passer was pitiful.
At this rate Brady and Manning will be able to double dare DEs to touch them. The officials protect them enough as it is.
Quote:It was one of the worst officiated games I have seen. The Mike Harris roughing the passer was pitiful.
Yes the Mike Harris call is the one that threw me over the edge.
I was thoroughly disgusted. That one zebra had a hell of an arm, though. Hmmmmm... I wonder how far he can throw a football.....

Quote:It was one of the worst officiated games I have seen. The Mike Harris roughing the passer was pitiful.
That was a totally legal hit.... He made contact when the QB still had the ball.... How was that Roughing the Passer?
This is what Goodell wants, though. He wants offensive games that score 120 points. The only way to do that is for the QB and WR to remain unmolested.

Personally, I hate it. It was fun watching Seattle's D last year give Peyton fits. I'm sure Goodell thoroughly hated it, though. Sad...
They pointed it out during the broadcast last night that there were a few rules that they had determined to make points of focus this year, and that this probably is why they were so eager to throw flags early and often for things like hands to the face, roughing the passer, and illegal contact.  It was over the top last night bordering on the ridiculous. 

If this is going to be the norm for NFL games this year...the dang game will last 5-6 hours because of all the flags...
Quote:If this is going to be the norm for NFL games this year...the dang game will last 5-6 hours because of all the flags...
Hopefully this is just something they're doing in the preseason to get the point across.  Otherwise you're right. 
I don't know, guys. The refs seem to throw more flags in the preseason than in the regular season. I think that's what they're told to do. If they see anything even close to a penalty, they'll throw the flag just for the hell of it.

I think they do this, then meet with the Director of officiating to talk about it. Then, he's probably like "That was a good call." or "It was good you threw the flag, but that's a call you don't necessarily need to make in the future."

Or something.

Great time to have a franchise QB.  :thumbsup:

Didnt they also call one of our defenders not sure who (35 or 36) for illegal contact prior to the snap......how exactly do you do that? It wiped out Alualu's sack
There were even calls against the Bears that were totally horse poop. At one point they showed a stat saying we had 14 penalties for 141 yards!
Quote:They pointed it out during the broadcast last night that there were a few rules that they had determined to make points of focus this year, and that this probably is why they were so eager to throw flags early and often for things like hands to the face, roughing the passer, and illegal contact.  It was over the top last night bordering on the ridiculous. 

Yes, it's not like they haven't warned us. They obviously want the receivers to be able to get down the field (after the first five yards) unmolested, as well as the other points you mentioned. I have no problem with that. I think they're overdoing it in the preseason to make a point. I think (hope) it will die down in the regular season because the coaches and players will have learned the lesson.

The roughing the QB was totally bogus - but we seem to see one or two of those per game.
There was a play where a Chicago receiver caught the ball and fell on the ground on his own... our DB drilled him as he was getting up... what was with the illegal hit call?

Quote:There was a play where a Chicago receiver caught the ball and fell on the ground on his own... our DB drilled him as he was getting up... what was with the illegal hit call?

That flag could have gone either way.  From one angle it looked like the receiver was trying to get up.  From the end zone, he was just trying to maintain the ball. 
Throw a ton of flags during preseason and hope the players get the idea. That way you don't have to throw as many during the regular season.

Bortles doe!
Quote:That flag could have gone either way.  From one angle it looked like the receiver was trying to get up.  From the end zone, he was just trying to maintain the ball. 

The whistle wasn't blown, he definitely looked like he was getting up, and Guy didn't spear him with his helmet. No way that should have been called. It was a clean hard hit. If you want to give yourself up then go into the fetal position. Rules say you must be touched while down, so refs either have to blow the whistle quickly or you can get hit hard. Guy had no way to touch him, he wasn't standing near him, so in case he got up, he had to make sure he knocked him back down.
Pages: 1 2