Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags preseason game #1 winners/losers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Winners:

Entire defensive line - They played well and kept playing well. The constant pressure generated from even the backups and somewhat the 3rd stringers was absolutely noticeable. This line be a force and hopefully will allow the secondary to improve as well.

Chris Smith - This man popped out when he was put in. Before and after his sack, I noticed #98 jumping off the line with intensity and velocity. This 5th round pick is looking good and with growth could be a great rotational guy.

Blake Bortles - He did well. 7/11 for 117 yards. He had a few passes dropped by brown and even threw a couple noticeable ducks when his footwork went awkward. What he showed us, Is that this is a man inside the pocket. The pocket presence was absolutely fantastic and he kept his eyes downfield. I give Fisch major credit for opening up the playbook for this kid and allowing us to see those 15+ yard throws. When he did good footwork, The ball was accurately placed every time. When he went off that, The balls become ducks. I do give a forewarning, He went against the 2's and as such needs consideration. He showed us exactly what we needed to see. That he is full of potential and won't be gabbert 2.0

Allen Hurns - The undrafted rookie free agent shined for the Jags and looked completely natural. Drops were kept to a minimum. 2 catches for 43 yards. He is so far earning a roster spot.

Winston Guy - Pick for a TD, Looked really good. Hopefully this continues and we don't end up with Evans as the starter.

T. Alualu - Another guy who helped himself on the depth chart. Some speculated he could be cut this year but his performances have been very decent/consistent. I doubt he ever becomes worthy of where he was picked but he could atleast become a decent rotational player.

Telvin Smith - Rookie OLB was everywhere. Didn't exactly make the stat sheet but showed a nack for being where the ball was.

Marks/Bryant/Clemons - All as advertised. Solid and will be a major force this year.

Nate Stupar  - Always around the ball and made some great tackles. Was hurt on a play so hopefully he can play next week.

Neutral:

Andre Branch - Saw him on a couple of plays and was stonewalled. Not sure how many plays he got overall so Im not going to condemn him yet.

Marquise Lee - Same thing with branch, Completely invisible. Not sure on how many plays he got.

Denard Robinson - Couple yards and a cloud of dust was his main offering. However he did get the play of the game potentially with a 23 yd TD against the 3rd stringers. Didn't show much improvement over what we saw last year. He seems to wow you on one play but make you shake your head on the next.

Ricky Stanzi - No "wow" plays but showed consistency in the pocket. 

S. Morris - 4th string undrafted QB looked poise in the pocket and had a nice run. Limited time kept him from making a real impact however. Could be a great candidate for the PS.

Losers:

C. Henne - Same old chad. He looked only better than the undrafted free agent QB. He is making it hard for gus/caldwell to keep their promise of him being the starter.

M. Brown - Dropped 3-4 catches but I will note he was hit hard on most of those and one being a penalty. Overall didn't show what we've seen in training camp. One 31 yard catch was his only highlight.

S. Johnson - Wasn't completely awful but didn't show much of anything besides 2-3 yard gains. Didn't fumble or exactly get any negative yardage. Did hurt his chances of rising up the depth chart however

K. Taylor - Captain Dropball. He is playing for a roster spot and is really hurting himself these past couple weeks

J. Todman - Wasted plays for the most part and didn't show anything near what he did last season

M. Brewster - 2 horrible snaps and overall didn't show any push. Had an extremely rough game but I wouldn't count him out just yet.

Feel free to add your own.

Pretty sure Stupar returned to the game after his injury

Winners: Bortles, defensive line, Telvin Smith

Losers: Brewster

If that player hit Tom Brady as late as he hit Bortles, that player would be facing suspension
I loved seeing Telvin Smith in McCown's face while he threw the ball and then got down field and made the big block for Guy. Kid wants to play.
Henne, Todman, Brewster all stood out as poor play in my book. I did love our D tonight tho, all around.

I didn't understand your write up on Guy. If I'm not mistaken he's been running with the ones for a while now.

Also Telvin Smith should show up pretty nicely on the stat sheet as he was in on quite a few tackles on defense and special teams.
Quote:I didn't understand your write up on Guy. If I'm not mistaken he's been running with the ones for a while now.

Also Telvin Smith should show up pretty nicely on the stat sheet as he was in on quite a few tackles on defense and special teams.

I had a grammar error there that made the sentence completely different. Haven't heard much from him in camp as well. So I admit ignorance on W. Guy.
Winners: Almost the entire D-line, Telvin Smith, Winston Guy, Jamell Fleming, DRob, Joeckel, Bortles, Hurns, Stupar, Alualu, McClendon

Neutral: Will Blackmon, Jeremy Harris, Storm Johnson, Jordan Todman, Marcedes Lewis, Mike Brown, Banger

Losers: Mike Brewster, Luke Bowanko, Chad Henne

Where were they?- Zane Beadles, Marqise Lee, Dwayne Gratz, Sherrod Martin, Austin Pasztor, Josh Evans

Chris Smith looked like he was shot out of a cannon.
what happened with bawanko that he is on the negative lost

Quote:If that player hit Tom Brady as late as he hit Bortles, that player would be facing suspension

It wasn't even close to a legit hit.

It bothered me that our guys didn't flatten that defender after a hit like that. Guy's helmet should have been ripped off and his face rearranged.
Quote:If that player hit Tom Brady as late as he hit Bortles, that player would be facing suspension

LOL.

I see we're in mid-season form in feeling we're getting jobbed by the refs.
Quote:Chris Smith looked like he was shot out of a cannon.

More like a supersonic missile.
Quote:More like a supersonic missile.

Like I said in another thread, Hopefully he isn't a one trick pony that just has a high motor. I am optimistic considering Gus has shown he can develop players.
WInners:

Blake Bortles - Goes without saying and blows the doors oof of Gabbert's pedestrian rookie debut with the Pats. I didnt like the kid during the college season and draft process and even went so far as to say he's the only one i didnt want besides Garopollo (who looked good this weekend lol) but the kid showed me plenty to change my stance. He looked off defenders, remained calm after setbacks , better footwork , improved arm strength and accuracy was on point.

Telvin Smith - The kid finds the ball.  In on multiple pass breakups and tackles he is a future star. Athleticism impressed me on a outside run he was behind the safety and still got there first before the first down. Needs a little more weight but potential is crazy.

Chris Smith - Basically a bigger version of everyones favorite Dee Ford but taken multiple rounds later making him a big time steal. Nasty first step and ability to time the snap but as others have said a better QB will exploit this. Overall  its a positive sign for now.

Sen'derrick Marks - He has brought the duval dirty back nuff said.

Losers:

Todman: Looked like Storm and Drob wanted it more. Just didnt show any real explosion.

Prosinski: Went a bit unnoticed but was targeted as soon as he came in the game.

Will Blackmon : Dude learn how to field freakin punts.

Andre Branch: Had a couple tackles but didnt really apply pressure and saw him bulled backwards a few times.

Our running attack wasnt impressive other than shoelace 20 yard run in the endzone, but keep in mind our starting RB Toby is injured didnt play.  That might have affected Henne's performance, but the truth is we know what to expect from Henne a 70 rating qb on average / game manager no thrills but hopefully doesnt turn the ball over too much.  Bortles was very impressive but he was as the OP mentioned going against TBs 2nd & only got blitzed once (Gus mentioned as well).

The DLine and the pass rush was thrilling, and gives tons of hope considering the Dline depth includes Tyson Alualu (1 sack) and Ziggy Hood (DT starter from Pitt) even Rookie Chris Smith slated as other on the Depth Chart looked great.

http://www.jaguars.com/team/depth-chart.html

Hurns looked good getting open a lot and making the catch, Brown dropped a few passes but was getting hit hard during the process and doesnt have the hands of Cecil but is still a decent target considering that so many WRs are out (Blackmon & Sanders sus., Robinson & Cecil injured might come back before season starts).

I would put Lee on the losers list because even Gus wasnt happy with his performance but I thought he was injured, so that probably had a big part in it.  I expect that he'll do something this week in Chicago's night game

It was weird not seeing Scobee making the kicks but its good to have depth especially since Scobee did get injured last year.

Brewster worries me because Center was already a big question mark and we were told that they felt confident in Mike pulling his weight.  He had two really bad shotgun snaps that went high, but he wasnt horrible other than that.  He's learning the role, and hopefully looks much better this week.  I agree due to the drops a few without being hit I guess Brown should be on the losing list.

With Storm I think you have to keep in mind he's a 7th round pick, that is on the other part of the depth chart, http://www.jaguars.com/team/depth-chart.html

and that being his 1st game hopefully he'll improve and show more this week too.

You would have to add Luke Joeckel and Zane Beadles to the winning list.

The best winner was Winston Guy the starting FS (Josh Evans fell to #3 as we all expected), and his int for a TD very elusive and smart play making in this preseason game!

All good comments so I'll add my three to balance things out:

1. Alualu- yes, being drafted too high is his issue. The guy hasn't missed a game in his career, takes care of himself, stays out of trouble and does a decent job in the rotation. He has skills and Gus and Co will maximize them. Good player for what he is, IMO.

2. DRob- I don't get the love. He looks like a dime-a-dozen RB to me. One fumble and he's gone.

3. Branch- I watched him closely (on the sidelines, too) and saw an aggressive, motivated guy with a good attitude. I think he's going to develop into a good player, I thought he played weill in his limited action.

I was surprised to see Prosinski still in a Jag uniform

Interior O-line needs to show they can make a hole. Only positive running plays were off tackle.
Pages: 1 2