Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Hold on...Sam Kouvaris is the Jaguars TV play by play announcer in the preseason? Why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Just glancing over this game preview and noticed this.

<b>Jaguars Announcers</b>: Sam Kouvaris, Mark Brunell.

Sam Kouvaris? What the hell? This is NFL football not the smarmy Olympics.

The last few years, the team had Kevin Kugler calling the games and he was excellent.

Gotta say, I love nearly everything Khan and his people have done with the team. But having Frangie be the radio voice and Kouvaris be the preseason voice are real head scratchers.

Hell, I'm happy when we get Paul Burmeister.

With or without the mustache?

Sam gets to be the play by play announcer for preseason games because (1.) unless it’s a national broadcast each teams “official station” gets to run the broadcast of preseason games AND (2.) as of about 4 or 5 months ago WJXT (News 4 JAX) is the new official TV station of the Jaguars.

Because Khan and his people have been so spot on with almost all their other moves I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt but this and having Frangie as the radio voice has really been bad moves IMO.

The funny thing about having New 4 JAX be named the official station is that before and since they’ve given the least amount of Jags coverage. For those outside of the Jacksonville market this place has 5 local news TV stations but really 3 providers. The CBS and Fox stations are owned by the same company and are known as Action News, the NBC and CBS stations are owned by the same company and are known as First Coast News, and News 4 Jax is independent.

Without question, Action News has the most coverage of the team. In an odd move, they’ve even increased their Jags coverage since losing their designation as the official station. And since they are the local CBS and Fox stations all of the regular season games except the primetime game (NFL Network) are on their stations. To me, First Coast news does the second best job and New 4 Jax brings up the rear. To date the other stations seem to have more resources to cover the Jags. I watch all three sports segments most nights since they don't come on at the same time. 
Sure the "official station" in each local market carries the games. But I believe all of them generally have someone who calls games for a living.
The local preseason broadcasts are always bad.

I also don't get why they don't seem to have HD technology.... or they choose not to use it.  The picture quality of our preseason games in the past were horrible.

Quote:The local preseason broadcasts are always bad.

I also don't get why they don't seem to have HD technology.... or they choose not to use it.  The picture quality of our preseason games in the past were horrible.

Actually, the last two years were much better. They were using better graphics and it was in HD. With WJXT taking over, hopefully they don't go back to being awful.
They use the local guys like Kouvaris and Frangie in order to co-opt the local media and get more favorable local coverage. 

For example, they'll get a lot more favorable coverage on 1010xl if 1010xl is the official Jaguars station.   1010xl wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds them. 

It's a smart thing to do.  

I don't expect the quality of the broadcast to suffer with WJXT taking over.  However, the play by play will probably be rough. 

I suspect the reason WJXT is using Kouvaris is because they don't have the ability to go get guys who are under contract with CBS, ESPN, or Fox to do broadcasts.  CBS47 was able to land guys who were doing play by play for the network, even if they were the guys doing the bottom of the barrel national games. 

Since this switch happened so quickly, and so close to the season beginning, it's not difficult to see they went with the simplest option to do the broadcasts.  If it doesn't work out well this year on TV or the radio, I suspect we'll see changes. 

I have said it before on here, Frangie is a pretty good play by play guy. I have heard some of his college calls over the past few years. Not bad whatsoever, and actually pretty good.

Who knows, Sam might surprise us. Or not.

'That's not a play I would have called. My good friend Bill Bellichik would have suggested...'
Kouvaris...

" I wouldn't have run that play. When I played the game. I would have thrown it out of bounds. I'd like to bang those cheerleaders...oops...did I say that out loud?
I'm pretty sure Ron Burgundy is largely based on  early 80's Kouvaris footage.

[Image: icon-stumpsam.gif]

Quote:I'm pretty sure Ron Burgundy is largely based on  early 80's Kouvaris footage.

[Image: icon-stumpsam.gif]

Haha....scotch scotch scotch scotch scotch....I love scotch.

And the new weather girl, traffic girl, news girl....

Where's my comb and mirror
Great catch by Mike Evans.

Speaking of Evans, I once sat at a bar in Atlanta next to Linda Evans. We talked for a good 20 minutes.

3 yards for Martin on the carry.
I always liked "I'm a Hall of Fame voter..." 

Frangie play-by-play is sounding pretty good right about now.

Why?.....well....He's kind of a big deal.... :whistling: 

Quote:I have said it before on here, Frangie is a pretty good play by play guy. I have heard some of his college calls over the past few years. Not bad whatsoever, and actually pretty good.
Aside from that lisp, stutter, and constant repeating, he's pretty good. 
I am pretty sure that having 2 local icons (Sammy and Mark) calling the game is the reason and probably saves some money...  I did hear on the podcast that Tony B will be doing the TV cover in Detroit... Mark Brunell has improved his TV I think since he's been with ESPN as a commentator..  Let's see how much whoever covers the Bears/Jags game ( probably the main ESPN crew for its first warmup) talks about the Jags anyway....  What's Gruden going to do without Gabbert to beat up???

D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5