Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Does Bortles throw ducks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
First let me say that I was not at practices and that I'm only basing my observations off the highlights posted on Jaguars.Com. It seems like every pass comes out super wobbly. Anyone else notice this? I would especially like to hear from the people that have made it to the practices.
Quote:First let me say that I was not at practices and that I'm only basing my observations off the highlights posted on Jaguars.Com. It seems like every pass comes out super wobbly. Anyone else notice this? I would especially like to hear from the people that have made it to the practices.

Well I went back and watched a lot of his college footage, and while he had some wobbly passes, I don't see it as a big deal. Accuracy is more important. Peyton Manning has made a career of throwing a lot of non perfect spirals. 

I guess people are so brainwashed from Garrard/ Leftwich that they think every pass has to have zero arc and must be thrown 460 mph regardless of distance, for it to be a good pass. 

If a QB has no arc on his passes, how are you supposed to complete deep passes in tight coverage?? You need to drop it over the shoulder. 

Quote:I guess people are so brainwashed from Garrard/ Leftwich that they think every pass has to have zero arc and must be thrown 460 mph regardless of distance, for it to be a good pass.

This is probably it.
Quote:First let me say that I was not at practices and that I'm only basing my observations off the highlights posted on Jaguars.Com. It seems like every pass comes out super wobbly. Anyone else notice this? I would especially like to hear from the people that have made it to the practices.

No, it's fine.  I notice that when you watch him throw it seems like it's a different kind of ball than the other QBs throw at times but I notice it gets there at the same time or sometimes even quicker.  I wouldn't call them ducks at all.  You get a sense that there is a great deal of strength there although it looks so effortless sometimes it fools you.

Its part of the process.

Quote:Blake Bortles also had a few ducks, but that's to be expected early on...

...The Jaguars are breaking down his mechanics and building them from his footwork back up, which is what they need to do, so it's effecting his deeper throws at times and short throws across his body to the left. There's a small hitch delay, but that seems to be more of a comfort level than anything else.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/7/25/5937353/jaguars-training-camp-report-2014'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/7/25/5937353/jaguars-training-camp-report-2014</a>
Well, they are remaking his entire throwing motion. It's going to take some time before he gets it all smoothed out. I haven't been at the practices, either, but the fact that he hasn't completely blown up yet is pretty encouraging. Let's let the kid finish his crash course in throwing a spiral before we start giving him the Gabbert treatment.
i don't care if he throws the ball underhanded, so long as it gets there.

the quaterback must go down, and he must go down hard
Quote:i don't care if he throws the ball underhanded, so long as it gets there.

Definition of contradiction ^^
You guys make good points. Thanks for the link Knarnn. I do notice that the passes are still getting there with velocity and mostly accurate. I just hope as he progresses with his mechanics that his spirals will get tighter because if they don't I could see it being a problem on windy days.
Quote:i don't care if he throws the ball underhanded, so long as it gets there.

This is so inappropriate. You should be pleased with yourself.
Quote:Well I went back and watched a lot of his college footage, and while he had some wobbly passes, I don't see it as a big deal. Accuracy is more important. Peyton Manning has made a career of throwing a lot of non perfect spirals. 

I guess people are so brainwashed from Garrard/ Leftwich that they think every pass has to have zero arc and must be thrown 460 mph regardless of distance, for it to be a good pass. 

If a QB has no arc on his passes, how are you supposed to complete deep passes in tight coverage?? You need to drop it over the shoulder. 
What does arc have to do with wobble? 
Peyton Manning threw ducks all the way to a HOF career.
Quote:Peyton Manning threw ducks all the way to a HOF career.
More like homing pigeons; they don't have to be pretty as long as they fly to the right place.
He's got a weak arm. Wobbely and no zip
Quote:He's got a weak arm. Wobbely and no zip

Trade him

(slits wrist)
still Trollin hard huh?
The cause of the wobble is his tongue sticking out
I have been watching him since he was a freshman at UCF.  He never threw "ducks" like he's throwing right now.  At first I thought it might be that the NFL ball is larger but he threw perfect spirals at the combine.  It has to be the mechanics that they're working on. At the end of the day he's still getting it to the receivers with accuracy and velocity.  I have to believe that it will come as he works through the mechanics issues.  Still, like roycee said Peyton Manning has made a HOF career throwing "ducks".  Steve Young is another one.  

I was at the practices. During warmups I've seen him throw perfect spirals. During practice situations, where he has his footwork to think about, seems like they wobble more.

So I think it's most likely a footwork issue.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5