Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: GERHART vs MOJO...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Am I the only one on here that thanks MOJO will have more rushing and total yards than Gerhart will this year... this of course is barring injury for either one of them that cost them several games or more...

Discuss...

Quote:Am I the only one on here that thanks MOJO will have more rushing and total yards than Gerhart will this year... this of course is barring injury for either one of them that cost them several games or more...

Discuss...
Interesting... I would be suprised just for the fact that mojo will be spliting carries... But i know mojo is capable of beating out toby, that isnt a question to me..... the injury part is the most important part... Imo we didnt get TG to get more yards, we got him for more stability at the position.
My gut says that you're wrong, but the more I think about it I might be convinced. It'd be tough, but you could do it.

Both are going into new situations and if Gerhart isn't used to making that zone read, he might have quite the issue in finding the gap and exploiting it. I have no idea what kind of scheme Minnesota ran, so Gerhart might be in for a tough learning curve.

Jones-Drew is coming off of yet another injury, but he does have his chip comfortably set on his shoulder. While he might be driven, what cannot be discounted is that he seemed to be very, very close to losing the proverbial "step". Your caveat about barring injury is a difficult one, and not unimportant. If anything, I think that Jones-Drew's injury history is a big reason why he was allowed to test Free Agency. The team just didn't see any long-term production out of him.

As we sit here now, before Training Camp, before the pads go on, before the Preseason games, I think you're wrong. But I've been wrong before.

I'd have to see if opposing players have a way to stop Gerhart. It seemed the word was out on Mojo. Slide down, wrap his ankles and wait for help.

Quote:My gut says that you're wrong, but the more I think about it I might be convinced. It'd be tough, but you could do it.

Both are going into new situations and if Gerhart isn't used to making that zone read, he might have quite the issue in finding the gap and exploiting it. I have no idea what kind of scheme Minnesota ran, so Gerhart might be in for a tough learning curve.

Jones-Drew is coming off of yet another injury, but he does have his chip comfortably set on his shoulder. While he might be driven, what cannot be discounted is that he seemed to be very, very close to losing the proverbial "step". Your caveat about barring injury is a difficult one, and not unimportant. If anything, I think that Jones-Drew's injury history is a big reason why he was allowed to test Free Agency. The team just didn't see any long-term production out of him.

As we sit here now, before Training Camp, before the pads go on, before the Preseason games, I think you're wrong. But I've been wrong before.

It shouldn't be much of an issue. The Vikings ran a ZBS up until last year so Gerhart has experience playing in both schemes.
Quote:It shouldn't be much of an issue. The Vikings ran a ZBS up until last year so Gerhart has experience playing in both schemes.

If Gerhart can fit into this Offense, and if the Passing Attack has at least some teeth, I'd have a hard time seeing Jones-Drew matching his production.

If this was 2 years ago, I'd agree.  I don't think MJD is going to get enough touches, and even if he does, he's not the MJD that won the rushing title a few years ago. 

I think MJD has more but won't eclipse 1k yards. I think he will only have mpre because im predicting DRob to have a great year. So much so that I plan on drafting him in the late rounds of FF
Whoever doesn't get hurt will have more yards.

All else being equal, at this point in each one's career I would take Gerhert. Younger, less wear and tear, and I believe probably faster and stronger than MJD.

Quote:All else being equal, at this point in each one's career I would take Gerhert. Younger, less wear and tear, and I believe probably faster and stronger than MJD.

Mojo is probably faster, although he has lost a step.  Gerhart is just much bigger and not as shifty of a runner.

Is the Jags Offense going to be a heavy run offense?  Even splitting carries, I think MoJo could get more touches than Toby.  I just hope we see improvement on offense this year.

- - - - - -   

/             \

Toby              \

/                 \  

/                   \

/                     \

/                       \

/                         \

/                           \

\

\

\

\

\

\                                  

Mojo
Quote:Mojo is probably faster, although he has lost a step.  Gerhart is just much bigger and not as shifty of a runner.

I don't know man, watching Gerhert he shows some speed once in open field. MJD was getting run down from behind regularly. He might be faster this year further removed from his injury though.
Maybe. Gerhart could break-out, though. While it would take MJD a comeback. Which is more likely? I'd take my chances on the younger 2nd rd talent looking to capture the moment. MJD seems busy in the media and his head else where. I'm pulling for MJD, still, but not over our new RB.

I'd have to see how MJDs weight is looking before I said for sure but I think he'll have a tough time besting Gerhart just because the rumor is that he and McFadden will split carries virtually evenly.
Quote:I'd have to see how MJDs weight is looking before I said for sure but I think he'll have a tough time besting Gerhart just because the rumor is that he and McFadden will split carries virtually evenly.

So that's 4 games where Mojo carries while McFadden is hurt...

...4 games where McFadden carries while Mojo is hurt...

...and 8 games where some other schlub carries the ball while they're both hurt.
MJD has had serious thoughts of retiring. When you start doubting your game to that extent you're usually mentally checked out. Gerhart > MJD. All day.

Who knows, too many variables.  Gerhart certainly isn't as wince-inducing to prospective tacklers than MoJo, that's for sure.

Quote:Am I the only one on here that thanks MOJO will have more rushing and total yards than Gerhart will this year... this of course is barring injury for either one of them that cost them several games or more...

Discuss...

If Gerhart stays healthy he'll have more rushing yards guaranteed.  Of course that's a big "if" considering he hasn't had a full season of carrying the load.  MJD will have a decent year, but he will have to split time with McFadden who may end up with the majority of the carries.  If I had to guess, I'd say that Gerhart ends up with 1200 yards rushing and MJD ends up with 700 with a similar YPC average.  Gerhart's a better pass catcher than MJD, so total yardage should be an even bigger deficit, but we'll see.
Pages: 1 2 3