Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars release Babin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Just tweeted out by Brent Martineau.

Somewhat surprising. 

I wonder if it is a physical issue. Timing is a little odd otherwise.

I liked Babin, but such is the ways of the NFL.

Age was against him this year.

Quote:I wonder if it is a physical issue. Timing is a little odd otherwise.

I'm guessing he was the least in shape and ready to go DE so they figured they might as well get him off the payroll as soon as possible.
Maybe this paves the way for Chris Smith? Bradley raved about him in his PC yesterday.

1010XL is just breaking it as well.

The team is doing Babin a favor to allow him to hook up with another team if he wants to remain in the league. 

Could be a good sign with guys like Chris Smith and Ryan Davis too.

They must like what they are seeing out of Branch, Davis, and Smith. For those three plus Clemons as the veteran, Babin was already the odd man out. He is on the wrong side of 30 and Branch is obviously worthy of spelling Clemons.

34 years old, coupled with the draft and Branches improvement makes him expendable. This will give him time to catch on elsewhere.

Very suprising.  I take this as a good sign someone else is really stepping up.  As mentioned above, probably Chis Smith.

Any idea what the cap savings are?  Not that it is an issue.

Meh... Chris Smith, Dre Branch and the rest of the young boys must be doing good.
It's part of the youth movement. Babin still has something in the tank but there are up and coming players that will take his place. Releasing him now is actually good for him if he wants to try to catch on with another team.
I hope some of the young guys learned how to muster up some of the nastiness that Babin brought to the game. I wish him well and appreciate his effort while here.

Clemons is now the oldest player on the roster at 32. Only four guys over 30. Bryant, Clemons, Lewis, Scobee.

This is a young squad.

The cap savings is Babin's entire contract minus any bonus he received for signing.  The team had to pay the OTA and minicamp payments which probably wasn't much in terms of Babin's contract.

Quote:1010XL is just breaking it as well.

The team is doing Babin a favor to allow him to hook up with another team if he wants to remain in the league. 

Surprising. We gave him 500K guaranteed to sign. To cut ties this early is an eye opener. 
This means we should be seeing a new jaguar later today
Truly sad to see him go. He was probably our best pass rusher in several years (obviously not saying much). He really came on towards the end of last season and always gave maximum effort. He was a good pickup and is one of the guys that I think we will look back on and say "he helped to change the culture here:. He gets a bum rap from some, but since Bradley came on board, he has been nothing but exemplary. At least we will always have the Dread game! 

I like Babin and I think the coaches do too but I think that he was falling down the depth chart too much to be considered worthwhile.

Got a good feeling about Chris Smith.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6