Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Fowler standing up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been saying the past few weeks fowler would make a better rush LB than defensive end.  Well this past Sunday they let him stand up and it really improved his game.  He played faster and more loose on passing downs.   I hope this leads to a brighter future for him.  He had a really nice sack this past week and a few pass breakups. I think the best thing for him is getting out of this whole stupid LEO role.  

Quote:I've been saying the past few weeks fowler would make a better rush LB than defensive end.  Well this past Sunday they let him stand up and it really improved his game.  He played faster and more loose on passing downs.   I hope this leads to a brighter future for him.  He had a really nice sack this past week and a few pass breakups. I think the best thing for him is getting out of this whole stupid LEO role.  

I liked that they stood him up more.  He should do a mix of both I really like his potential as a normal 4-3 end if he can figure out his first step and get a couple moves he will be fine no matter how we deploy him.  We should certainly use the variety of skills he has though.
Peg leg Mariota isn't standing up.

That brings a smile to my face. I wish no ill will toward the person, but as a tack, it is a dream come true.

He wasn't even standing up on the plays he made impacts on so it's a moot point. This obsessions between him standing up or not is pointless, it's not the deciding factor in whether a player is good or not.
Quote:He wasn't even standing up on the plays he made impacts on so it's a moot point. This obsessions between him standing up or not is pointless, it's not the deciding factor in whether a player is good or not.

Not a deciding factor but it sure can make a difference. Most pegged him as a better bet as a 3-4 OLB tham 4-3 DE. May as well keep trying different things with a young talent like him. No reason not to.
Just use him like he was used at UF. It's not rocket science. 

Again. The plays where he made an impact he wasn't even standing up.
Yeah I don't remember him having any impact standing up either. The two free rushes and the one where he hit Mariota's elbow were all with his hand in the dirt. I don't remember any others.

It will fine with me if I never hear otto or leo again.....never was quite clear on just what it meant for the Jags.

all I know the Defense was pretty strong against the tacks.....I bet they'll remember the beat down they got at 

"The 'Bank"  :thumbsup:

That one stunt he ran inside between the guards was awesome. He blew up Mariota pretty good and clean on that play. I'd like to see him run more stunts like that.

That's why I think it would be awesome if we end up landing Allen out of Alabama in a few months. You pair him up with Jackson inside and then let Ngackoue and Fowler work off the edges or pull stunts around them. 

Just a bummer really. I think Todd Wash is the right man now for this job. He seems to know how to use this personnel and scheme them up pretty well despite just having this role for the first time in his career. I'd LOVE to see this front seven finish the year next weekend with another six or seven sack day on Luck for sure. 

Quote:That one stunt he ran inside between the guards was awesome. He blew up Mariota pretty good and clean on that play. I'd like to see him run more stunts like that.

They've actually run that stunt with him quite a bit this season.  It's been his best method of getting pressure unfortunately.

While it's been successful at times - it's also been picked up plenty. 

I still have hope he'll develop a move outside and get better with his hands. 
Quote:They've actually run that stunt with him quite a bit this season.  It's been his best method of getting pressure unfortunately.

While it's been successful at times - it's also been picked up plenty. 

I still have hope he'll develop a move outside and get better with his hands. 

Same. I am starting to worry about his strength. He seems to get ate up way too much when he takes on a tackle head on. If you can't run through or over your blocker you're going to have to learn how to use that speed and foot work to your advantage.

He needs to spend the entire off-season watching some tape on Dwight Freeney's spin moves and Reggie White's speed rush-to-hump moves. 

Quote:That one stunt he ran inside between the guards was awesome. He blew up Mariota pretty good and clean on that play. I'd like to see him run more stunts like that.

That's why I think it would be awesome if we end up landing Allen out of Alabama in a few months. You pair him up with Jackson inside and then let Ngackoue and Fowler work off the edges or pull stunts around them.

Just a bummer really. I think Todd Wash is the right man now for this job. He seems to know how to use this personnel and scheme them up pretty well despite just having this role for the first time in his career. I'd LOVE to see this front seven finish the year next weekend with another six or seven sack day on Luck for sure.

I do agree about Wash, and I think he's done a solid job and wouldn't be disappointed if he was a carry over. However, I think most DCs would do well because we have a ton of talent on defense. Our current talent fits in any aggressive 43 scheme.
Quote:Same. I am starting to worry about his strength. He seems to get ate up way too much when he takes on a tackle head on. If you can't run through or over your blocker you're going to have to learn how to use that speed and foot work to your advantage.

He needs to spend the entire off-season watching some tape on Dwight Freeney's spin moves and Reggie White's speed rush-to-hump moves. 
It's not his strength it's his lack of burst and bend. No NFL caliber OT is going to get beat with bull rushes and spin moves if they aren't scared that you are going to whip them around the corner. Spins/swims/bull rushes are called counter moves for a reason. They counter the OT overstepping to the edge because he is scared you are going to beat him around the edge. If you try those moves without the OT being scared of you beating him around the edge then you just look flat out silly like Dante has the vast majority of the time. 
Quote:It's not his strength it's his lack of burst and bend. No NFL caliber OT is going to get beat with bull rushes and spin moves if they aren't scared that you are going to whip them around the corner. Spins/swims/bull rushes are called counter moves for a reason. They counter the OT overstepping to the edge because he is scared you are going to beat him around the edge. If you try those moves without the OT being scared of you beating him around the edge then you just look flat out silly like Dante has the vast majority of the time.

Exactly right.

Dante is a physical beast, strength isnt his problem. Its his technique.
Yup I been saying that ever since he was drafted, you got to stand him up and put him with his hands down, thats what he did at Florida, standing up rushing beating the gaps is his strengths 

Quote:It's not his strength it's his lack of burst and bend.

Yes, that lack of bend is really glaring and made even more apparent since #91 has been showing off his bend regularly. 
Quote:I do agree about Wash, and I think he's done a solid job and wouldn't be disappointed if he was a carry over. However, I think most DCs would do well because we have a ton of talent on defense. Our current talent fits in any aggressive 43 scheme.
This. Wash is disposable, remember Gus was DC of a super talented D too and it turns out he was a trash 1 dimensional coach unwilling to alter his scheme to fit his players. It may not have even been Wash's idea to stand him up(otherwise why did it take 14 weeks?). Perhaps Marrone made a call, or maybe its just coincidence the week he coaches they make adjustments. 
Quote:Exactly right.

Dante is a physical beast, strength isnt his problem. Its his technique.
No, I was saying it's not strength or technique. He can work on and master technique as much as he wants, but if he lacks the innate athleticism to burst and bend around a tackle all of the counter techniques in the world won't matter. He's gonna have a Jabaal Sheard ceiling, which is a fine player but disappointing to draft slot and expectations. 
Quote:I do agree about Wash, and I think he's done a solid job and wouldn't be disappointed if he was a carry over. However, I think most DCs would do well because we have a ton of talent on defense. Our current talent fits in any aggressive 43 scheme.

My concern with keeping Wash is will he want to keep the LEO/Otto/Seattle scheme or will he move to a more traditional 43?

I mean it's working this year, I just want to move away from any resemblance of Gus. But hey, if it works, it works.
Pages: 1 2